Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pineapple rub on ribs

Options
I've had my medium egg since last May, I love it and cook on it all the time. For something different, I tried some Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head rub on some spare ribs this weekend. I used the 3-2-1 method, cooking at between 225 and 250 F.
with some cherry chunks for smoke. There is only two of us so I only cooked one 3lb rack. Half was with the pineapple rub , the other with some Three Little Pigs KC Championship rub.  At the end of the -2 the meat was already falling off the bone (the way I like it) and the internal temperature was 195 F. so I put them in a cooler with towels on top and bottom for about a half hour. I took the plate setter off and got the egg up to 450. I put a on coating of  Cherry Barbeque sauce  and tried to carmalize the sauce by cooking the for 4 min. per side. That worked pretty good. All the ribs were melt in you mouth, sweet and delicious . The combination of the cherry and pineapple made those ribs taste almost like an Easter ham. I'd do it again. The attached pictures show the ribs going on the egg and how they turned out. The left rib broke into two pieces, I wish I hadn't just piled the broken piece on top for the picture, looks weird. I live between Niagara Falls and Buffalo, we got 4" of snow while I was cooking these, the temperature with in the low 20's. It was fun! If only the Bills had been playing that afternoon... next year!

Comments

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Looks great!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Glad to see you were going with pork. That is a good match in my opinion......beef not so much. I'd knock that back in a skinny minute. Nice work.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I want some of that!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Dizzy Pig Pineapple rub?  Hmmm ... I'll try that on the next rib cook.  My favorite is Oakridge Dominator Sweet rib rub w/ an addition of 5% cinnamon.  Ribs are fun to experiment with ... yours look good.

What do you think about he cherry BBQ sauce by its self?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    looks great and pineapple sounds delicious with pork
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice ribs. I like DP PH on ribs as well. Try adding pineapple chunks and dark rum to the ribs during the foil stage.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Ribs are my favorites, and they will be done this week, job and weather permitting.
    Your cook looks outstanding!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Laserlarry
    Options
    DMW said:
    Nice ribs. I like DP PH on ribs as well. Try adding pineapple chunks and dark rum to the ribs during the foil stage.
    Dark rum instead of apple juice, that sounds real good. Thanks

• Laserlarry
    Options
    Dizzy Pig Pineapple rub?  Hmmm ... I'll try that on the next rib cook.  My favorite is Oakridge Dominator Sweet rib rub w/ an addition of 5% cinnamon.  Ribs are fun to experiment with ... yours look good.

By it self on ribs would be real good too. I've used it on chicken and pork chops that had only a little rub on them. It's very thick with chunks of cherries in it.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@Laserlarry Those ribs look spot on!  Welcome to the forum btw.

I'm one of the few who doesn't care for PH rub.  I want to like it, like all the cool kids, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Going to try using peach preserves on the ribs during this week's cook. I have used on the butts and they were awesome. I think it will be very tasty, if it comes out 1/2 as good as the butts I have been doing. We will see.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Killer man, looks amazing!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options

Its Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head, good stuff, give it a go.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @anton ... I've got some from a sampler pack ... just keep forgetting about it.  The Cherry BBQ sauce looks like it comes from the NW corner of lower Michigan which is thick with cherry orchards.  The folks there blend cherries into just about every food imaginable.

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Looks great. I use the pineapple head on pork loin too with great results. It's also really good on sweet potatoes and acorn squash.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Thanks for the prod Larry ... cooked up a rack of baby backs this afternoon.  Lopped off four ribs to test out the Pineapple Head rub.  Little olive oil made the ribs sticky.  Pineapple Head rub on the four ribs and Oakridge Dominator Sweet Rib rub on the rest of the rack.  Five hours later a toothpick said the ribs were ready to eat. 

The missus told me to just use the Pineapple Head rub on the next rib cook. 

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options

Wow.. more cinnamon? I love Oakridge rubs, and dominator is amazing on ribs, hell I've got it on a shoulder right now for dinner, but I'd be curious how it was with more cinnamon.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Laserlarry
    Options
    Thanks for the prod Larry ... cooked up a rack of baby backs this afternoon.  Lopped off four ribs to test out the Pineapple Head rub.  Little olive oil made the ribs sticky.  Pineapple Head rub on the four ribs and Oakridge Dominator Sweet Rib rub on the rest of the rack.  Five hours later a toothpick said the ribs were ready to eat. 

The missus told me to just use the Pineapple Head rub on the next rib cook. 
    Your welcome, I'm going to make ribs with it again soon.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @FATC1TY ...in Mexico last summer, I had a chance to spend an evening with a chef talking about BBQ in Mexico.  One of the things he pushed was to add a little extra cinnamon to rib rubs. 

We'd already settled on Dominator Sweet Rib rub as our go to for ribs.  Checked the ingredient list and sure enough cinnamon was there ... just way down the list.  Cooked a side-by-side with and without additional cinnamon ... the missus voted for the ribs cooked with additional cinnamon.

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    @FATC1TY ...in Mexico last summer, I had a chance to spend an evening with a chef talking about BBQ in Mexico.  One of the things he pushed was to add a little extra cinnamon to rib rubs. 

We'd already settled on Dominator Sweet Rib rub as our go to for ribs.  Checked the ingredient list and sure enough cinnamon was there ... just way down the list.  Cooked a side-by-side with and without additional cinnamon ... the missus voted for the ribs cooked with additional cinnamon.
    I've had something from Penzys that was a rub with some cinnamon that was a cross between the two. Indeed, a great spice to really make a rub pop. I'll have to hunt it down and find the name again.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Beautifully done! I usually do 3-2-1 at 250, but I don't use a BBQ sauce or a high-temp stage. I might try to duplicate this next time.
    DMW said:
    The only thing you have to worry about with using real pineapple is bromelain. You want your ribs tender, but exposure to the enzyme for too long might make the meat soggy.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Beautifully done! I usually do 3-2-1 at 250, but I don't use a BBQ sauce or a high-temp stage. I might try to duplicate this next time.
    DMW said:
    The only thing you have to worry about with using real pineapple is bromelain. You want your ribs tender, but exposure to the enzyme for too long might make the meat soggy.
    Good point, I only foil with pineapple for 45 minutes max.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Laserlarry
    Options
    Last summer I did some country style ribs using this recipe ,  http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=1854

After the internal temp got to 150, you put them in a pan with some pineapple juice and BBQ sauce , cover and cook until the internal temp reached 195 ( I think it took about an hour) then put them back on the grate to caramelize the sauce. It's the only time I used pineapple juice instead of apple juice for the foil part of  cooking any style ribs. The ribs were very tender and tasty. But if I decide to experiment with pineapple juice in the future I will limit the time as DeltaNu1142 suggests.Tender is good, soggy is bad.

• DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited January 2016
    Options
    But if I decide to experiment with pineapple juice in the future I will limit the time as DeltaNu1142 suggests.Tender is good, soggy is bad.
    Bromelain denatures above 140 degrees, so you could pre-treat your mop by raising its temperature on a stovetop, or something. It doesn't need to boil. The point is, the last thing you want to do is marinade your ribs in the raw stuff!
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL