Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fried rice/wokking

Just checking to see what the best books are on wokking.  I made kielbasa fried rice last week and my wife went crazy.   Best meal I've made on the egg to date according to her.   Aside from pulled pork.  She's not the carnivorev that most of us are.  
    I had some issues with the oil catching on fire so i need some help.
Thanks in advance! 

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Not sure the environment in which the oil caught on fire unless your wok was VERY hot and it flashed.  I have used peanut oil for over 35 years and it works very well, plus when deep frying after it cools I strain thru mesh cloth and it will not retain a flavor, just add some new oil the next cook. Keeps in frig or on shelf in cabinet.

"Breath of a Wok" is an excellent book with many recipes easily adapted for the BGE wok environment.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=grace+young+wok&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=29647379947&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17734676404449666952&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3ihb8pc2br_e

Get in touch with me if you need more help or ideas. woodmonkey@cfl.rr.com

Here are some thoughts:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1277637&catid=1

Pork fried rice:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1160288&catid=1

Chicken fried rice:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1140713/wokking-some-chicken-fried-rice#latest 
  • I'll take this opportunity to ask for guidance as to which wok to buy to use on the BGE.

Thank you.   
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    What kinda oil were you using?  I've never had oil catch on fire.  I'm guessing you were cooking really hot & had a low smoke point oil.  I use peanut and grape seed oil just depends on what I'm wokking.  

@Nicholas_Welton - I use a 16" with D handles on my large but really think a 14" would be better for my cooks for 2

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • What kinda oil were you using?  I've never had oil catch on fire.  I'm guessing you were cooking really hot & had a low smoke point oil.  I use peanut and grape seed oil just depends on what I'm wokking.  

@Nicholas_Welton - I use a 16" with D handles on my large but really think a 14" would be better for my cooks for 2
    Thank you Matt.   Any specific brand of wok?   
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    My 16 came from CGS and is a carbon steel. I think my next one will come from The Wok Shop and have a long handle instead of the d rings.  

analyze adapt overcome

• So carbon steel, got that and thank you.    Curious as to the long handle choice.   Given the shape of the BGE I would have thought the D rings would be better?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Nicholas, my son lives in Brooklyn and he bought me a great cast iron wok from a store in Brooklyn's Chinatown. No thicker than a carbon steel though the steel is probably more durable. It's only 13", but that large enough for my needs. When there were two adults and two children here, a 14" was plenty.

If you have a Chinatown nearby or ever get into the city, I'm sure you'll find something suitable.

My CI...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    So carbon steel, got that and thank you.    Curious as to the long handle choice.   Given the shape of the BGE I would have thought the D rings would be better?
    I do good with the d rings which work better when you are way down in the egg with the spider in it lowest position but I'm thinking I could raise the level of the lump and wok at the OEM grate level with a long handled wok for the ease of swirling the oil and swirling the food while cooking.  I've tried this theory with a cheap flat bottom with handle and actually prefer it.  

analyze adapt overcome

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited January 2016
    What kinda oil were you using?  I've never had oil catch on fire.  I'm guessing you were cooking really hot & had a low smoke point oil.  I use peanut and grape seed oil just depends on what I'm wokking.  

This is solid advice.  I will add I have two 14" steel woks I've used for 30 years. One has steel D handles and the other has wood covered D handles. Personally, I don't like the long handles woks - I've tried them. My most used wok is the one with plain steel handles. 
    @Carolina Q  Do you have an opinion on steel vs Asian CI?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    SciAggie said:
    @Carolina Q  Do you have an opinion on steel vs Asian CI?
    I imagine the steel is more durable, but I don't know that for a fact. I like the CI better, but just because I think it's cool that they can make it so thin and no heavier than carbon steel. Cooking-wise, probably the same.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    Steel transfers heat faster.  CI is brittle and cracks or beaks if dropped.  
    Steel transfers heat faster.  CI is brittle and cracks or beaks if dropped.  
    This is true of course brother.  Any thoughts is SS lined copper.  It's my favorite and would work well in this application.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    That looks great @nolaegghead .
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nolaegghead
    httpcd8ba0b44a15c10065fd-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53r23cf1rackcdncombiggreeneggvanillaforumscomeditor0b5bez5vv8seb9jpg
    httpcd8ba0b44a15c10065fd-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53r23cf1rackcdncombiggreeneggvanillaforumscomeditorculklnewml7zstjpg
    My world has a vertical bias, obviously.
    Just checking to see what the best books are on wokking.  I made kielbasa fried rice last week and my wife went crazy.   Best meal I've made on the egg to date according to her.   Aside from pulled pork.  She's not the carnivorev that most of us are.  
        I had some issues with the oil catching on fire so i need some help.
    Thanks in advance! 
    the trick is to work faster, watch the cooks in chinese restaurants, its fast and everythings moving. have everything ready to add, no prep work while woking. if you cant keep up to the heat a trick is to get the egg up to 600 degree dome, open dome and shut the lower vent completely and the flames will subside but the heat will still be there, do this til you get faster at adding and cooking. im a fan of a 14 inch hand hammered long handle, about 10 to 14 bucks in any china town, easy to remove from the flames if things get outa control
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I don't have the best wok for the Egg, but I just use what I have.  My Mom bought me this wok and it is nicely seasoned.  So I go with what I have.  

Love woking on the Egg, however for fried rice now, the Blackstone gets the call.  However, before, it was the Egg.  

I get the Egg to roughly 500°-600° and already have the spider on the fire ring.  Make sure to use plenty of lump.  It goes fast if you're doing multiple dishes.  

I'll place my wok on the spider.  Drizzle with grapeseed oil and a few drops of sesame oil.  

Once you see the oil "dance", the wok is ready.  

That's when you start your veggies, garlic, ginger, etc.  

I did this video a while back on one of my cooks, though I didn't video the start of it.  

Now, don't poke fun at my tools.  It works for me.  I use them.  When they break I'll buy real tools (or find something else that works).  Hey, I'm a tight wad so that's the way I roll! 

https://youtu.be/HmNBlIDMUu0

Another....

https://youtu.be/pgPkY0_TJfo

And another....

https://youtu.be/9_CLx3b5158
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Thank you again for all the advice!   I was cooking on a paella pan and using vegetable oil.   The pan was in the low position on a spider  with a dome temp of 450*.  The oil touched off twice so I gave the pan a bit of a scrape raised it to the orifinal BGE grate level and everything went well from there.   I just wanted to seek out any advice I could.
  • @tarheelmatt - ive watched a couple of your videos before.   Great pics by the way. I heated my paella pan with the spider. That's were I went wrong.   At some point I will have a wok.  Especially because the wife lived the rice.  I am also a tight wad.  So if the paella pan will suffice  I will use it for now. 
  • tarheelmatt
    @tarheelmatt - ive watched a couple of your videos before.   Great pics by the way. I heated my paella pan with the spider. That's were I went wrong.   At some point I will have a wok.  Especially because the wife lived the rice.  I am also a tight wad.  So if the paella pan will suffice  I will use it for now. 
    Try some oil with a higher smoke point.  Also, if you're pan is hell hot, then you add oil, it'll flash.  I add oil as soon as it goes on the fire or just a few min after for that same reason.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • BTW- I used kielbasa because I am a rookie and I knew I wouldn't have to worry about thoroughly cooking it if things went awry.  It worked great and tasted great as well. 
  • tarheelmatt
    edited January 2016
    BTW- I used kielbasa because I am a rookie and I knew I wouldn't have to worry about thoroughly cooking it if things went awry.  It worked great and tasted great as well. 
    I used smoked sausage my last fried rice cook. Nothing wrong with using that.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Lots of good stuff here, thanks everyone.  One day I'll attempt this.

Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM