Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Bread

SoCalTim
SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
I absolutely love baking on my egg ... made dough last night, let it sit for 18+ hrs  .. did the final prep work this afternoon, placed dough on parchment paper, set it inside the dutch oven, placed it in a 450 degree egg (covered) then 15 minutes uncovered.

It came out awesome!

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Great looking loaf!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited January 2016
    The bread looks great. I've tried multiple times to duplicate the color and texture you get like this versus naked on the egg and I can't do it. I use a stoneware cloche instead of a Dutch oven but I don't think it matters. 
    Here's an idea to chew on... Think about using your pizza stone on the grill and then inverting the Dutch oven over the bread - like a hat. Managing the dough might be easier that way and you'll still get the same effect. It would look a bit like this:
    You would just have the Dutch oven in place of the cloche. I think putting a "hat" on the bread might be easier than dropping dough into a hot pot. Something to think about. Either way, your bread looks great my friend. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Pass the butter please.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Looks great. Never thought to use parchment paper like you I'd, great idea
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    looks fantastic!  I have a woefully underused dutch oven.....need to get off my behind and try this
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Nice. I'm jelly 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Nice! Now, what's the benefit to mixing on the washer?  I want to know all the ins and outs!  :lol: 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Nice! Now, what's the benefit to mixing on the washer?  I want to know all the ins and outs!  :lol: 
    Saw that and assumed it was an accessory island with increased ambient humidity and temp to help with the rise ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    bgebrent said:
    Saw that and assumed it was an accessory island with increased ambient humidity and temp to help with the rise ;)
    This is funny stuff - and could be entirely plausible. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    That looks awesome. Can I see it sliced?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Tim, that is a great looking loaf right there.  Very impressive.  Is that a 7 quart DO are you using for that?

Phoenix 
  • SoCalTim
    @blasting .. thanks, it's a 5 qt, @Terrebandit .. dang it, forgot to take a sliced pic.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Looms great. Mind sharing which recipe you used for dough?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SoCalTim
    @Chubbs  .. It was actually really simple, 3 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour,1/2 teaspoon rapid rise yeast 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1& 1/2 cups of water.

Fold ingredients gently (as not to bruise the dough) into each other .. cover overnight.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    I cooked a some on the egg just once and it came out really nice.  My wife likes the King  Arthur no need bread recipe.  Cooked it on the pizza stone wasn't brave enough to try the D.O like Tim.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    @SoCalTim that was an amazing looking cook my friend. I honestly am amazed at the color you got on the crust.  All I would need with it is a big pot of Sunday gravy aka red sauce for you non Italians.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    @SoCalTim how long was it in the egg before you removed the lid?
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • SoCalTim
    1move said:
    @SoCalTim how long was it in the egg before you removed the lid?
    I sat the DO in the egg while the egg came to temp (450 degrees) .. once at temp, I placed the dough on parchment paper and put it in the egg. I then put the cover on the DO and let it go 30 minutes, then took lid off for 15 minutes to finish, that's how it browns and develop's the incredible crust - for a total cook time of 45 minutes.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Thanks Tim, just about to do my cook, can't wait to see how it turns out
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Just an FYI SoCalTim, reading your post today has inspired me to bake 5 loaves today. Thanks for the great idea!
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That loaf looks terrific.

I'm just getting the kind of oven spring i would like to see (i.e. like yours). Have tried new yeast, and even bought some SAF yeast recently. I seem to get better results in a DO than uncovered on a stone, but still not the kind of oven spring that many here seem to get. Most recent attempt was with the King Arthur no knead recipe which is similar to the Artisan Bread in 5min recipe. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Panathinaikos55
    Panathinaikos55 Posts: 46
    edited January 2016
    My daughter (she's 3) and I made a few loaves yesterday too (she put feta cheese in hers) and we topped them with some cheddar!  We didn't use a dutch oven though.

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    With a well seasoned DO, you really don't need the parchment paper.  It truly will slide around when it's ready.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • SoCalTim
    @TN_Egger, this particular DO is only a month old, just breaking it in.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    SciAggie said:
    The bread looks great. I've tried multiple times to duplicate the color and texture you get like this versus naked on the egg and I can't do it. I use a stoneware cloche instead of a Dutch oven but I don't think it matters. 
    Here's an idea to chew on... Think about using your pizza stone on the grill and then inverting the Dutch oven over the bread - like a hat. Managing the dough might be easier that way and you'll still get the same effect. It would look a bit like this:
    You would just have the Dutch oven in place of the cloche. I think putting a "hat" on the bread might be easier than dropping dough into a hot pot. Something to think about. Either way, your bread looks great my friend. 
    SoCalTim is getting why would he want to change it up?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Photo Egg said:
    SciAggie said:
    Because a cloche  is a Heck of a lot easier to work with. Getting bread out of a 450 degree DO is dangerous work. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg said:
    SciAggie said:
    Because a cloche  is a Heck of a lot easier to work with. Getting bread out of a 450 degree DO is dangerous work. 

Guess I have been lucky. Mine have handles and I just tilt them over and they fall out onto the counter. I guess depends on style of cast iron dutch oven.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722

Guess I have been lucky. Mine have handles and I just tilt them over and they fall out onto the counter. I guess depends on style of cast iron dutch oven.
    I don't think it's a huge deal. But for multiple loaves I don't pull my cloche out of the oven ever. It's a little easier but not a huge deal for sure.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Photo Egg
    I don't think it's a huge deal. But for multiple loaves I don't pull my cloche out of the oven ever. It's a little easier but not a huge deal for sure.
    Great point...being able to leave it in the oven.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SciAggie
    Photo Egg said:
    SciAggie said:
    For sure he is getting great success. I'm not implying my way is better - I was just offering something to think about that might make managing the bread easier. Particularly if you slash a loaf and then have to drop it in a Dutch oven - I think plopping it on a pizza stone is easier. Others may have different ideas. Again, I certainly don't mean to sound like I'm some kind of know-it-all. I was throwing out an idea for discussion.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon