Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pressure Treated XL Table

Options
I've finished building my XL table.  I decided to go with treated lumber and now I'm needing suggestions on how to stain / seal the wood. Normally when using treated wood you would need to let in dry for up to 6 months but I'm not waiting that long and I'm not going to remove the egg 6 months from now just to stain the table either. Is there a stain or a wood sealant that can be applied to "wet"  treated wood? Has anyone else ran into this problem? 

Comments

• Dfoshee
    Dfoshee Posts: 191
    Options
    Nice table. Can't help you with stain/sealer but will be watching as I'm building a similar table. 
    Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.
  • Blackwidow98
    Options
    Dfoshee said:
    Nice table. Can't help you with stain/sealer but will be watching as I'm building a similar table. 
    Use a router with a jig when cutting your hole!  I used a jig saw 1st and it came out TERRIBLE!!!!   :disappointed: 
    I went and bought a good router and made a jig out of a leftover piece and it came out perfectly round.  

Before with the jig saw.....   I'm embarrassed :bawling: 

After I fixed it with the router!   (Should have did it this way to begin with!) :unamused: 

• Dfoshee
    Options
    I will keep that in mind
    Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    I'm going to build one as well. It will be interesting to see the suggestion for staining the treated wood. I'm with you. Once I get my Egg into my table, I'm not going to take it out. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• AR_Pork_Producer
    Options
    I don't know if you can stain it or not. If it's still wet I doubt it. I have even found it hard to paint, it still bleeds through on light colors. It takes a few coats to cover it. I feel painting would be the best bet.
    Large BGE, Holland Gas Grill, Masterbuilt electric smoker, Oklahoma Joe, Flame Boss
  • Dfoshee
    Options
    That's a sweet table Joebags. Did you make it from scratch or use plans
  • Joebags
    Options
    Thanks! I did! I took 2x6x10' cedar boards planned them down biscuit joined them together sanded the tops to look like one piece! I'm really happy how it turned out! There's things I'd do different but it turned out nice! 
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    Beautiful table Joe!  I'm contemplating building a table, and will probably end up combining ideas from several.  My question for you: did you build the table top independent of the legs, or was it assembled from the ground up?

I don't have a workshop, so I am going to have to ask a friend to help me at his house...with an incredible workshop.  The real pacing item I need his help and workshop for is cutting the hole. If possible I would like to make it a single day at his house (I will trade him some smoked food....he is a big guy and I'm not sure I can afford to egg something good up for him on multiple days =)

Second problem is my *#^$&#^  son totaled my SUV a while ago, and I don't have a truck or SUV to carry a already assembled table.

Most of the plans I have seen build the table from the ground up, and put the top on it and cut the hole near the end of the process.  I am looking for a way to assemble the top (including braces, etc) and cut the hole. I could then take the finished table top home and attach it to the legs and lower shelf.
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    @Blackwidow98 Great looking table so far and it looks like you have a great covered area and view to look at while you cook.. I look forward to see the finished product.. Good luck .
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Blackwidow98
    Blackwidow98 Posts: 134
    edited May 2016
    Options

Finally got her stained!!!   After 4 months the pressure treated wood finally dried enough to where I could stain it.  I used Olympic stain and seal from Lowe's.  The color is "cedar natural tone" and it's a toner stain. I almost went with the same color but in a simi solid stain but ended up with toner after a little research.