Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Claus is coming to town...

Options
2»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Question for you @Darby_Crenshaw , what is your target temp when you cold smoke?  Also, do you bump the temp to bring it home? 
    Caz, I'm certainly not the foremost expert here, but I would like to offer this. To some degree it depends on the meat in question and the end goal. With that said, we have cold smoked tons of fish. Most fish (depending on species) will start to cook between 84-88 degrees. As such, we cold smoke fish in the 50-70 degree arena to avoid cooking or "tightening" them. We cold smoke our hams anywhere from 50-90 degrees. The hams smoked at the lower temp range have a more "dense" smoked taste in my opinion. Just thought I would share. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    mmmmm bacon
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Holy bacon Batman.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    as sgh says, lower is good

i'm doing hams and bacon, and that stuff can take a bit more heat and for longer
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I have a sudden urge to buy some belly. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    cazzy said:
    at least for my neighbors, my wife's management team and a couple friends.   =)

I need about 4 lbs of that tomorrow, do you deliver?  I'll need it by 6 PM PST

I'll be making candied bacon Thursday night for a Friday afternoon potluck at my work.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Homebrewguy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Cured three bellies from Costco using Ruhlman's recipe.  

I ended up with 16 packs.  I handcut 1 belly grocery thick (15 per pack), and the other two extra thick (10 per pack).  Worked out to 16 packs.  All easily over a pound each and several hitting 2 pounds.  

How did you get those slices so even by hand cutting?
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    cazzy said:

I ended up with 16 packs.  I handcut 1 belly grocery thick (15 per pack), and the other two extra thick (10 per pack).  Worked out to 16 packs.  All easily over a pound each and several hitting 2 pounds.  

Pure wizardry 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2016
    Options
    cazzy said:

12" knife and lots of patience.  Honestly... It's not that hard.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    And ninja knife skills.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    did you add seasonings before smoking? or did you just skip the soaking or rinsing step? I like the idea of having some seasonings stay on
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I love makin bacon. One of my favorite meat related activities. Your slicing absolutely puts me to shame. I am literally ashamed of my consistently poor slicing compared to yours.  Very impressive. Thanks for the challenge. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Delivered yet?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    I can say from experience, once you start giving it as gifts, it gets asked for again and again. Or, if you are like me, people start paying you to make it, then you regularly have 30lbs of Pork Belly curing in your fridge. :)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I can say from experience, once you start giving it as gifts, it gets asked for again and again. Or, if you are like me, people start paying you to make it, then you regularly have 30lbs of Pork Belly curing in your fridge. :)
    I am getting payment for a little now too. I pretty much break even though I think but it is fun
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    poster said:
    did you add seasonings before smoking? or did you just skip the soaking or rinsing step? I like the idea of having some seasonings stay on
    Seasoned after I rinsed everything off.  Pepper and turbinado sugar.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....