Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got a Javelin Pro for Christmas...Thoughts?

Options
I had a very nice Christmas this year with getting some goodies for the Egg.  First my wife bought me a Stoker wifi.  Once I got over the connectivity issues I loved it.  Downloaded the Pit Pal app and cooked a Butt overnight with losing minimal sleep.

My father'n'law came into town yesterday and we did a late Christmas with him.  He got me a 30oz Yeti Rambler (which I'm drinking coffee out of right now).  I had also 'asked' for a Thermapen.  I already have an Alpha Grillers Instant Read but I wanted an upgrade.  Anyway, it turns out he made an audible and got me Javelin Pro from Lavatools. 

From what I've read they're not 'as good' as Thermapens but still a jump up from what I have now.  What say ye?
North Pittsburgh, PA
1 LGE

Comments

• kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The javelin that I bought was $25 shipped on amazon. Made in USA and has not failed me once. I'm pleased. 

http://www.amazon.com/Lavatools-Digital-Food-Thermometer-Chipotle/dp/B00GRFHXVQ

Not sure where you've read that these things are bad. The pro even has a 5 star rating on amazon with 81 reviews.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    kwdickert said:
    The javelin that I bought was $25 shipped on amazon. Made in USA and has not failed me once. I'm pleased. 

http://www.amazon.com/Lavatools-Digital-Food-Thermometer-Chipotle/dp/B00GRFHXVQ

Not sure where you've read that these things are bad. The pro even has a 5 star rating on amazon with 81 reviews.
    I didn't necessarily ready anything 'bad' on the Javelin Pro.  Just that the response time was slightly slower is all.  Don't have both to compare.  I think this will be good but just wanted opinions of the group.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • kwdickert
    Options
    I'd imagine that 3 second read time and 2 second read time is gonna be negligible but I might get flamed here for saying that. The one I have is a 4 second read and I never find myself wishing it was faster. Just my two cents. Hope you enjoy it!
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Love mine! And it reads fast!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,852
    Options
    The only time when read time comes into play as a real issue is when you are cooking 8 or 10 steaks at once.  By the time you get to the last steak the temp of the first one may have changed significantly. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    chadpsualum said:...

From what I've read they're not 'as good' as Thermapens but still a jump up from what I have now.  What say ye?
    I've got a couple older Thermapens and a few of the Lavatools Javelins - a couple of the "regular" and the Pro.

They're all fine and with similar performance. I bought the Javelin Pro mainly to see how well the backlight works (my Thermapens are older non backlit models) and if the Pro performs significantly different from the $25 Lavatools models (it doesn't). I like the Pro - nice big digits which I can read without my reading glasses and lights up just fine. It will be my main thermo during the dark winter.

The Thermapens are nice but I think they are overpriced compared to their recent competition. Thermapen is always running sales prices on their Thermapens these days but even at the sale price I don't think they are worth the $30 more than the Javelin Pro.

However, some folks feel strongly about their Thermapens and dismiss any other brand. I'm guessing those are the same folks that also buy Yeti coolers and tumblers and dismiss other coolers like the Rtics.*

* I just added that to give @Lit a wedgie. :) 

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,179
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Use it enjoy it!  People are to hung up on best this, best that.

Javelin Pro looks great.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    i have both - the Javelin died on me for no apparent reason one night. I set it aside and used a thermapop to finish that night's cook. The next morning I checked the battery which was fine, popped it back in and it started working again. No idea why it died. I do like the longer reach of my thermapan though and I reach for it most of the time. At times I wish my thermapen had a backlight but I haven't felt the need badly enough to upgrade to get it.
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Chauncy
    Chauncy Posts: 47
    Options
    I got one a while ago when it first came out, love it! I would say is half a second faster than my Thermapen classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6N2UMzP79Q
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,732
    Options
    I don't get hung up on the speed , and I'm no thermapen fanboy, but consider that all thermoworks does is make temp measuring devices ( for home and commercial use). And their customer service is outstanding.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.