Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick ash bucket....worth it?

Options
Is this necessary?  I was thinking about grabbing one for my new large coming next month.  Does it really help the egg breathe and control temps better for low and slow and hot and fast?

Thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Necessary for a large ...nope.  Helpful enough to offset the cost ... yep.

I have one on both my large eggs.  When one of them dies, I'll buy another.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    love mine.  have them on both eggs
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    Necessary for a large ...nope.  Helpful enough to offset the cost ... yep.
    This echoes my feelings about it exactly. I don't remember what I paid for it; now that I've used it for several months, I would probably go back and pay up to, but not more than, $25 for one. What do they cost?
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    $60
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    For XL?  probably not

For a medium?  I wish I had one.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Doubt I'll put one in my XL Egg, but I'm liking the one I bought for my Mini Max. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    You'll find one in my large egg
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    What @Jeepster47 said. I have a large egg. Is it necessary? No.
    Does it help control temps? I got mine for Christmas so I've had it a short time. I don't have much trouble with temp control now, but I didn't before either. 
    What I LOVE though is the ease of dealing with ashes and refilling the egg. I'm definitely a fan and would recommend one. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I have not taken notice in temp control, but I leave the cast iron grate at the bottom anyways. I bought them for the cleaning aspect. Love them for that perpose alone.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    One each on my Large BGE and KJ Jr.
    Love 'em both.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I have no issues with my stock xl. Cannot imagine this as a necessity, especially at the price.
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    The thing I like most about it in my large is that it keeps the side holes in the firebox box from getting clogged up. Not completely necessary, but nice to have. 
    I could see it being much more useful and necessary on my small, which is more of a pain to clean out. Planning to buy one soon for it. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Yes!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I went 4 years without one but now that I have one, it has made life easier.  Easier to clean and replenish the egg without getting my hands dirty or using a ash pan and ash tool.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    This echoes my feelings about it exactly. I don't remember what I paid for it; now that I've used it for several months, I would probably go back and pay up to, but not more than, $25 for one. What do they cost?
    4Runner said:
    $60
    There's no way I paid $60 for the one in my LBGE.

Oh, they're in SS now. Mine's the old chrome-plated steel. Right... well, I don't think they're quite worth $60.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I bought one for the medium because my fire grate kept getting knocked around when I was using the ash tool. I can't really see a reason to buy one for the XL. Unless I put a full size metal trash can on my deck, it would create a big mess. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Necessary? No
    Worth the $ ?  Yes
    Difference in temp & lessens clog ups?  Yes
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

YES! it will not help in LG with temp control, that's all on the person adjusting the vents. It will for sure make your life easer in the cleaning of the Egg and it will for sure help with air flow. I have 4 Eggs 1- Mini that has a High Q fire grate and it works well, 1- small with Kick Ash Basket much improved air flow and much less cleaning out ash, 2- larges each with Kick Ash Baskets and again much improved air flow and less often cleaning of ash. I'm a little OCD about cleaning out the ash very often and I also like to take the old lump out and put it on top of new lump before I light the fire, so I take the Kick Ash Basket out shake it to remove the ash, dump old lump in a small cardboard box, put new lump in the KAB dump old lump on top of new and light the fire. Ok very OCD about the cleaning of the ash!!!!!! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    I received one as a gift for Christmas and have only used it once due to holiday travel.  It seemed to increase the air flow and made cleaning a breeze.  I may have missed this in an earlier post, but do most eggers remove the fire grate? I have removed the fire grate and plan on keeping it out, but will immediately put back in if this could damage the egg.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I got one for my XL. It has performed like a champion. Holds enough for very long low and slows, so much easier to clean, and the temp control is better. I would recommend it. I have been using mine without the grate, keeps it cleaner, and zero clogs with smaller pieces in the air holes in the internal ceramics.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Yeah, you really don't "need" it but they are sure nice to have. Makes the cleaning process easier and the eggs breath much easier.   I bought one for each of my cookers, not because I "needed it" but because I enjoy having stuff that makes me feel good.  Why do you have an egg?  You don't really need that either. Lol 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Hub said:
    Life is short.  Go ahead and live.  I promise you that on your deathbed you WON'T say "thank goodness I saved a few bucks by not buying the kick ash basket."
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

I have no skin in the game and am not affiliated with either vendor...had a KAB and this Stainless Steel one is much thicker & better IMHO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-green-egg-large-firebox-charcoal-basket-kickash-/161937373760?hash=item25b4383a40:g:UKQAAOSw9mFWJs~m

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Mine is in a large (the newer version) and I agree fully with others who've stated it's not necessary, but worth the money to me. I've only used it with the fire grate in place and have no complaints. Very small sample size, but on my last 14-hour pork butt the temps held even steadier than on previous and shorter low and slows. Could be coincidence, but I think the KAB made a difference. For me, the $60 is worth it just for the easier lump removal-ash clean up.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    The positives mentioned so far are:

1) Improves airflow ... more so if you remove the OEM grate.  Improved airflow is certainly a worthy improvement on the smaller eggs

2) Protects against plugging of the side holes ... better breathing again

3) Greatly aids in clean up of the egg ... don't poo poo egg clean up ... if you create an ash free equivalent environment every time, you will have one less variable to mess with your cooking

4) Not mentioned, but shortens cool down when using the egg for tail gating

5) Again not mentioned, but you can use the KAB to separate the fines from the good lump at the bottom of the bag ... the fines fall through like ash and what's left in the basket will burn much better with less clogging.

The cons are:

1) Cost ...

The early models were constructed with thinner wire/rod and cost ~$50 for the large.  Early last year Chad started building them out of heavier wire/rod and upped the price by ~$10.  My guess is that he increased the wire/rod diameter 'cuz he found a number of us using the basket without the OEM grate installed and wanted to ensure long term success doing that.

• edselfbge
    Options
    Not necessary but I love mine...makes clean up much easier and definitely improves airflow in my large. Got it as a Christmas gift this year and I've used it about 6 times since then with great success. Definitely worth 60 bucks in my opinion
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Well, since @bcsnave spoke up about his lack of affiliation to either vendor, I guess I should come clean.  Found this out over the holidays.  My wife's brother raised two "foster" children. One of those kids grew up and married a gal who went to high school with Chad.  So, even though I've never met him, I guess Chad and I are almost family.