Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I got a Yeti Tundra 45 for Christmas

Options
Totally wasn't expecting it.  Looking at accessories for it and thought i would ask for some advice.  Are the yeti ice packs any better than the blue plastic ice packs that have been around forever?  Also the divider looks like it may be useful, anyone have one of those?

has RTIC copied the ice packs or dividers yet so I can get a knockoff shipped in 9 months?

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Congrats.. I got the 65  from my wife... I am thinking I am going to need a forklift to lift once its loaded.. I don't have any idea about the ice packs..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    nice!  I dont have any experience with the ice packs but being the cheap ass that I am I wanted a divider and didnt want to pay yeti's price for theirs so I made one out of plexiglass.  Very easy to do and works like a charm. I'm 3 years in on mine with no problems.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @nth78 congrats man....the ice packs are great I don't know if they are any colder but they are very durable.  I have dropped mine several times and haven't ever worried about it leaking ... the way RTIC is going they should be pre-selling and not shipping in no time 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2015
    Options
    nth78 said:
     Are the yeti ice packs any better than the blue plastic ice packs that have been around forever?  
    As far as cooling, not really. All the ice packs, no matter the brand, use a ethylene glycol base emulsion. What determines how well that they cool is how low of a temp that you can freeze them to. Ones froze to -10 degrees will perform much better than ones froze to +30 degrees. Now some are built more durable and heavy duty than others so they will hold up to abuse and use better than others. One of the best ones that I have seen is ARCTIC ICE Alaskan series.  Very heavy duty. The Yeti ones look pretty well made as well. However I have no personal experience with them.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Use my 45 heavy for travel. But the ice packs don't wrk for me as no way to re-freeze them in the hotel. Really like the 45 as its about the largest size I can move by myself full. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    shucker said:
    nice!  I dont have any experience with the ice packs but being the cheap ass that I am I wanted a divider and didnt want to pay yeti's price for theirs so I made one out of plexiglass.  Very easy to do and works like a charm. I'm 3 years in on mine with no problems.  
    That's a hell of an idea right there on my way to HD.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Congrats on the 45. Like @SGH said above, the Artic Ice work great for me. I have not used the Yeti Ice so I can not give you a direct comparison. I have several of the Arctic brand in all 3 temp ratings. They work great for weekend trips and also work great to Pre Chill your cooler. As @Mickey said, for long trips they are dead weight if you have no way to freeze them on the road.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I can vouch for the Arctic Ice. I sometimes use my lunch break to get a Costco run in. It's easy to throw the Yeti and the Arctic Ice in car in the morning and have no worries after lunch. If you go with Arctic Ice, remember that a lower freezing point isn't necessarily the best thing for you. 1) Your freezer would need to be able to get it down to it's optimal temp and 2) If you go with the coldest one, (Tundra line I think), it will actually act more like dry ice and can freeze contents vs. just keep them cold. I therefore went with the Alaska line.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I had a 45.... Someone 5 finger discounted it...I loved that cooler
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    I had a 45.... Someone 5 finger discounted it...I loved that cooler
    best accessory i bought for mine is a cable lock.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    We use ours for drinks during holidays to keep guests (mostly our moms) out of our small kitchen. 

Invest in stickers, at least one divider, and a basket or two. 

Dont buy the drink holders, waste of money. We never use them. 
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    Options
    Awesome!  Congrats on the cooler.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The rotomold coolers weigh a bunch but are wonderful....I went w/ 65 Pelican but don't knock Yeti.  Fer smaller needs, I bought the ole lady a 20 and that will work out when traveling....Congrats on a cooler that'll last as long as a thieving little turd don't get it!!!!  
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!