Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HIMALAYAN SALT SLAB COOKING?

Options
Anybody do this?
I got a Roughly 8x8x2 'Himalayan Salt Slab' for Christmas and am both intrigued and Stumped.  It is also a pink / red color which implies OTHER stuff in it than simple Sodium Chloride.

The ONE help I read said to heat is slowly.   Would that make it a non-starter on my egg when going Direct?    What if I installed my plate setter legs DOWN and put the slab on small spacers with NO grate?    

Any help / clues / ideas are certainly welcome.

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I use Himalayan pink salt in my grinder. It's good stuff.

I think the salt slab is more novelty than anything else. You are never supposed to clean it other than wiping it off. So layers of whatever builds up and eventually it's not salting the food so it's just a hot rock. So it's the same as a CI skillet or a coated ceramic plate, right?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have one I've used twice in a year, check that,mi threw it away when we tore out the kitchen. 

The two times I did use it, I went direct. Just like a pizza stone, make sure it is up to temp before adding the food. 

Edit: raised direct. 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Agreed that this is something that I do not use all the time but it is a good tool to have. I personally use it platesetter legs ups, grate and then the stone on top of that. Definitely bring it up to temperature gradually to avoid heat shock and the possibility of cracking. Clean up is no big deal. Let it cool back down, run it under warm water and scrub it with one of those plastic scrapers for cleaning pans-then it's like brand new again. I personally like to use the stone for cooking boneless skinless chicken breast. When you just want something basic without all the extra sauces and what not, that is a good go to. Simply place it on the stone, crack some fresh pepper on it, flip it half way through. Cook until done. Trust me you won't be disappointed. You will be amazed with the amount of flavor that gets pulled into it.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Begger said:
    Anybody do this?
    I got a Roughly 8x8x2 'Himalayan Salt Slab' for Christmas and am both intrigued and Stumped.  It is also a pink / red color which implies OTHER stuff in it than simple Sodium Chloride.

The ONE help I read said to heat is slowly.   Would that make it a non-starter on my egg when going Direct?    What if I installed my plate setter legs DOWN and put the slab on small spacers with NO grate?    

Any help / clues / ideas are certainly welcome.
    You can get the book Salt Block Cooking by Mark Bitterman on Amazon, also his website is www.atthemeadow.com
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    Mine came with care instructions. I think we had to heat it once before we actually used it. We didn't use it on the Egg. We heated it to 500 degrees and cooked steaks on our dining room table. They were delicious and it was a fun experience. 
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I don't use mine on egg. I heat it well in oven and them cook on it at table with kids. More of a novelty IMO 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    So it's just a giant pink frying pan?  I have one, yet to use it.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I received some in a grinder.  More of a sea salt style than a big block.  Never used it before or know what to do with it as a seasoning.  Anyone ever used it for ribs or butts?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    @saluki2007 It is just a fancy salt. I use it mostly on steak and vegetables. 
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    So it's just a giant pink frying pan?  I have one, yet to use it.
    Basically, yeah.  One that also salts the food.

I got one as a gift and have cooked both scallops and steak on it.  I agree with the sentiments above that it's mostly a novelty item. Kind of a PITA to clean in my experience as well.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike