Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Tongs and Spatula to get?

Options
I am returning a few things to amazon from Xmas and I wanted to get tongs and a spatula from there in return.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    The BGE tongs and Soatula are nice. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Personally I prefer "Pigtail Flippers" over tongs any day! As for a spatula on the egg I have 3 favorites and all 3 are stainless steel. One has square corners at the front great for flipping burgers etc, second one has round corners that won't rip skin like on chicken pieces and parts and the the third has a real wide head for turning fish.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Link to pig tail flippers:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pig-Tail-Food-Flipper-Set/dp/B0000AV0T8

BTW if you are left handed they do make them - you just need to order from the company. Don't laugh - these work because of the natural flip of the wrist and a leftie can't use a right handed flipper any better than a right handed person could use a leftie's flipper!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Had a set of Pig Tails for years. Work like a charm.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Second for the BGE ones. They aren't cheap but they last. The Tonga are nice and long and sturdy so they don't bend and you don't burn your hands. Have had mine a good 5 yrs and no issues. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,181
    Options
    I have several oxo tongs. I have the BGE's as well. The BGE's are nice but they are heavy. I had to cook pork chops, chicken, and brats for 50 at work a little while back and the BGE's were way too bulky and heavy for flipping that much meat. 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    For a spatula, I picked up a long, burger flipping one at a restaurant supply years ago and it's awesome for fish, supporting a large roast or gently moving a bunch of wings or abt's

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited December 2015
    Options
    3rd on the BGE...nice sturdy set.....works well for those of us that don't get to flip our meat at work... ;)

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    It is on my Egg wish list, it is called a Buttula. Very sturdy spatula for taking heavy meats off the Egg. I don't own it but I saw them in the Dizzy Pig store. 
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    BrookieP said:
    It is on my Egg wish list, it is called a Buttula. Very sturdy spatula for taking heavy meats off the Egg. I don't own it but I saw them in the Dizzy Pig store. 

I've looked at those as well.  I'm a sucker for new toys, but I've held myself back.  I use the same insulated gloves that I use to pull apart the pork, and I like the control.  Let us know how you like it if you get the Buttula.

To the OP - I agree with @DoubleEgger on the OXO tongs - pretty tough to beat.  For spatulas, I like Dexter's offerings.

Phoenix 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I like the pig tails, @RRP noted above, but I also use tongs, I think you need more than one set. The Weber clam shells are good for something about or larger than a golf ball, but small stuff like new potatoes just slid out. You need a set of square mouth tongs, like those from Cuisinart or others where the paddles actually close tightly. 
    Like LS, I too use the restaurant flat-top spatulas. Under $10 at a supply store.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have the same pigtails as Ron.I use nothing else!  They are great. I use the small one almost all the time. The long one is good for caveman steaks!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I have several sets of oxo tongs and have no complaints.  They've all held up 3+ years (I hand wash, they say they're top rack dishwasher safe, but I found that they dishwasher would rust out the spring mechanism within 18-24 months of regular use).

If you're building an Amazon wishlist, I highly recommend these gloves for removing grates or an indirect piece (platesetter or pizza stone).

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00GEBA54U?psc=1

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I use cheap Voltath restaurant style scalloped tongs.  I have a bunch of them.  They come in different size/color 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002XYCVMQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1451483893&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=vollrath+tongs&dpPl=1&dpID=31fBFsAwZ2L&ref=plSrch#