Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas has exploded with Joy!

Options
Mosca
Mosca Posts: 456
edited December 2015 in EggHead Forum
There's a reason I'm writing this here, where no one really knows me, I don't post here much and don't really feel like I fit in well.

It's this: Everything I do, I do it for her. Cooking is an act of love. And it feels almost selfish, because I love her so much, that making her happy makes me happy. Who would I make happy? And I'm sure that most people here share that very same feeling. Sure, food is good. But it doesn't mean a damn thing unless you're with the ones you love. Without that, it's just a thing.

Three weeks ago Mary Joan (Mrs Mosca) went into the hospital with blood clots in both lungs. Two weeks ago she had a pap smear, and last week she was diagnosed with an extremely rare and EXTREMELY aggressive form of uterine cancer, a mix of serous cell and carcinosarcoma. Google them. Separately they are bad, with 30% five year survival. Together they are worse. But if you catch it before it spreads, the odds are flipped: survival is very good.

Today we got the results from the CAT scan: against all odds, the tumor hasn't spread. That is rare because carcinosarcomas are asymptomatic until they have metastasized; once they are discovered it is usually too late.

So New Years is totally botched, she's having surgery the 30th. We gotta do the ribs this Saturday instead of Jan 1st. And that is the best thing that has happened to us! I'll spend NYE in a hospital room with the one for whom every rib, every hamburger, every pork butt and brisket and bowl of soup is an act of eternal love.

Warren Zevon said it best. Enjoy every sandwich, people. Enjoy every sandwich with those whom you love.

Tom

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    May you and your beautiful bride be blessed with ongoing better and better news until they tell you both, 'it's all clear'.

Praying for a Christmas miracle for you, friend.

I appreciate your outlook and I am sure you are a source of great comfort and support for Mary Joan.

God bless you both.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    You are very wise indeed sir!  Some never learn to appreciate the little moments.  Many get mired in hatred for their lot in life.  I lost the first Mrs. Flintstone to ovarian cancer a dozen years ago so I know about a cancer that's pretty much undetectable until it's too late.  In the end, that's all we had were the small moments to enjoy together until she was gone.  I pray, sir, that you and your lovely bride have a much different and happier outcome than we had.  Godspeed sir!

I'm not sure why I looked in on the forum because a week or so ago I decided to drastically cut back my time here because of politics.  This is my first visit in a week.
    Flint, Michigan
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Prayers are with you brother.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Here's hoping the fates smile on you both, Tom.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Clapping..... We'll done sir. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Tom, you are a wise man. I'd gladly give up New Years celebration for surgery and survival. Here's to you both!
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Prayers from our family to yours, stay positive! I'm a firm believer in the power of positive thinking. God bless!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Tom, I think you fit in here quite well ... many on here kid around about the missus, but in reality, their feelings are not that dissimilar from yours.  Prayers are with you and yours that the new year brings you even happier news.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    BAM....right in the feelers.  

Best of luck to you both.  
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Your post puts things in perspective and reminds me once again of the things that are really important.  Praying for a positive outcome and peace for you and your wife during this holiday season.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Great news Tom. Thanks for sharing and very happy to hear of the good news for you and Mrs. Mosca. Certainly puts the commercial side of the season in perspective. Best to you and yours and hope you feel comfortable posting on here any time. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Very well said. I will say a prayer for your wife. I can't imagine having to deal with. Best of luck. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    God bless you both.  I'm going to snuggle my wife a little tighter tonight.  Prayers going your way.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Utterly Speechless :prayer: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    May God who sent his Son and who's Birthday we Celebrate at Christmas bless you and Mary Joan and may He give the doctors wisdom in her treatment. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You may not know many folks here, but many many folks will send sincere wishes for recovery and good outcomes.

Sending your lovely wife, you , and your family, a big ripple of positive vibes in the universe.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Thank you for sharing.  My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

I am thankful the disease was caught  before it spread.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Wylie_Egg
    Options
    @mosca - I can relate to what you at going through. I sincerely hope and pray you and your wife continue to enjoy every moment together. stay strong and celebrate wins no matter how small they seem. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Praise the lord it was caught early my friend.  I'm deeply sorry that you have to experience this at this time, however the main focus is your family.  Every good man, and there's many here, would do the same for their spouse, I know I would.  

I'll say a prayer for you and your wife and keep you in my prayers.  Our expiration date isn't stamped on us brother, make every moment the very best possible.  

Take care!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SRFShane said:
    BAM....right in the feelers.  

Best of luck to you both.  
    Shane....PM ing you.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Best wishes, fight the good fight and always have hope.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Life is precious......live big and love one another. Sounds like Christmas came early this year. May you New Year be filled with joy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Prayers offered for both of you.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    May Gods Blessings continue to shine on you both during this difficult time.  Adversity will strengthen the bond that you share.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    @Mosca , your wife (and you) are in my prayers.  My wife survived a recent cancer diagnosis.  It happens!  Thank you for your upbeat and loving example.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Prayers being sent for you and your wife.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    My wife is a cancer survivor. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Prayers to your whole family over this difficult time.. God Bless..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Beautiful post, good luck and thanks for sharing. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Blessings, prayers and good karma to you and your wife. Six years ago the love of my life, my wife was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer. Two surgeries, chemo, radiation and 6 years later my wife is healthy and full of life. It's a long road full of ups and downs but you and the Mrs. will prevail. If you ever need to talk to someone who traveled the path that is in front of you please PM me and I will send you my number.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.