Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My version of Georgia/Alabama BBQ sauce

kwdickert
kwdickert Posts: 308
edited December 2015 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades
Since moving to Memphis, I have had trouble finding bbq sauce that wasn't of  the molasses and spices style that I liked. Growing up in Georgia and Alabama, I am more used to a blended style of vinegar, mustard, AND tomato based bbq sauce. 

I decided to make my own so I began searching styles of bbq sauces and found that the vinegar and mustard based recipes are where I should start. I found some sauce recipe on Saveur.com and went from there. I don't think i'm that far removed from it now but it's a huge improvement in flavor from theirs. Now all my down south friends from home and my Memphis friends ask for the recipe. I'd really suggest you try it. The only ingredient that I imagine could easily be sub'd out would be the sweet soy sauce. I would imagine that molasses or a mixture of brown sugar and regular soy sauce would get you there. I think the soy adds a certain something but you're the one making it!

Here we go.

Georgia BBQ Sauce. 

1½ cups apple cider vinegar

½ cup yellow mustard

½ cup ketchup

2/3 cup dark brown sugar

1 tsp. kosher salt

½ tsp. ground black pepper

1 tsp. cayenne or more to taste.

2 cloves garlic finely chopped

2 tsp. sweet soy sauce

Mix all in pot and simmer for 15 minutes. Put in container and cool it down in fridge before using.

GOOD FOR PULLED PORK SANDWICH, SMOKED/GRILLED CHICKEN, AND ANY OTHER SLOW COOKED ITEMS YOU CAN THINK OF! SOP IT UP WITH WHITE BREAD AND YOU'LL BE MAGICALLY TRANSPORTED TO SOUTH GEORGIA WHERE THE PEACHES ARE A PLENTY!

*It makes a thinner sauce than what most are used to. About as thin as bone suckin sauce. The cayenne is up to your discretion. The sauce tastes good after the simmer but WAYYYY better once cold. The vinegar kind of overpowers until it's been cooled. So don't judge it too early*
Memphis TN - Large Green Egg

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Thanks for sharing.  Man I miss living in Memphis.  Moved back North about 3 years ago.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Thanks for sharing.  I'll definitely give this one a go.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • I moved from bama to memphis as well and don't care for the memphis style too much. Rendezvous makes some decent ones though. I'm gonna try to make this sauce one day when I'm feeling like doing something!
  • I moved from bama to memphis as well and don't care for the memphis style too much. Rendezvous makes some decent ones though. I'm gonna try to make this sauce one day when I'm feeling like doing something!
    So it's been a year. Did you ever try this? You can do soy sauce and add a teaspoon of brown sugar (or don't add any extra) and it'd be the same I imagine. 
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg