Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Discada Discs

Options
Has anyone seen these? Any reason to use this over say a CI pan on the egg?

http://bluemoondisk.com/products/blue-moon-disk-medium

Big plow disc that fits down in your egg. My local dealer http://www.kenrashmemphis.com/ had a demo of this cooling off when I arrived at their store on Saturday. I had never seen anything like it. 

It seems like there are about 5-10 makers of this type of cookware called a discada or plow disc. 

Anyone have one or used one? What's the point?
Memphis TN - Large Green Egg

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    a 16 dollar wok and a flat steel plate would give you more options. i have done alot of cooking on just a flat carbon steel plate over a fire, cooking la plancha if you need a fancier name and a higher price tag for cooking on a steel plate =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    When I lived in Texas a friend would cook tripas on them. It was a big deal and pretty good.  Kinda the same idea as a wok but thicker metal 
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    It's a damned plow disk for crying out loud with a couple of horseshoes welded on. buy a wok! here is the best rated I could find in the past minute
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001VQIP4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=ch001-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B0001VQIP4

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    If you still want to cook on a plow disc then go buy one here for less than 20 bucks! 
    http://www.agrisupply.com/plain-disc-harrow-blades/c/4500011/

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Yep, I have a few buds with these. Mostly use them when at the race track and camping. I went to a pool/birthday party one time and the hired chef was slinging out some fast and great grub off of one.

There size and portability is the advantage. They do cook up some fine fajitas.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @caliking and @20stone cranked out killer kathi rolls on one over a butane burner at Salado.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1178503/salado-pictures-at-last/p1

I'm pretty sure it wasn't from that site, I think it was an actual plow disc with horseshoes welded on, but I'm not sure.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    They are great for tailgates. Many many a tailgate breakfast did I cook on one in school. Makes great breakfast tacos. I since graduated and refined my tools to a blackstone, but I love cooking on a good mexican wok as we called it in school.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Discada is like the spanish equivalent of woking. It's like a griddle and wok rolled into one.   Lots of people like to say you can wok in a disco but you can't disco in a wok.  I wouldn't want to use one on my egg, but with a propane burner they are a lot of fun.  Discos are what got me into the idea of a blackstone.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • kwdickert
    Options
    I don't really have any interest in buying one. Just wanted to see if you guys knew about it and what the real point is versus doing fajitas in a big cast iron pan or blackstone. Thanks for answering my questions!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i was going to buy one until i saw THIS!

"* Caution:  Blue Moon Disk handles get hot during the cooking process"

(seriously, it says that)

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    i was going to buy one until i saw THIS!

"* Caution:  Blue Moon Disk handles get hot during the cooking process"

(seriously, it says that)

not everyone knows about conduction
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • kwdickert
    Options
    Sounds like they've had some stupid past customers!!! 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Its not like cooking on a wok. The sides aren't sloped as much, so you can push things off the center where its hotter and they won't slide back down. Great for fajitas and Mexican grub, but I wouldn't pay that much for it when they can be made so much cheaper.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I have a few versions of that sort of thing. 

The big steel thing you see in the Salado link above is a tawa which i hauled back from India. Like a discada, its not very deep, kind of a shallow concave griddle. I'm not familiar with ones that are as deep as a wok. 

Advantages are that you have 2-3 zones for cooking - hottest in the center, then cooler as you go up the sides of the disc - and that grease trickles back to the center once you put food at the periphery. Its great to cook on, but not very useful for the egg i think. Works well on a propane burner, or even a butane stove (as we found out at Salado).

For much less $$, you can get a steel disc cut, a plow/harrow blade from a Farm & Fleet type of place, or even the end of a big propane tank cut off.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you still want to cook on a plow disc then go buy one here for less than 20 bucks! 
    http://www.agrisupply.com/plain-disc-harrow-blades/c/4500011/
    I happened to notice on that same site they have some with the handles and no hole in the middle for pretty cheap.

http://www.agrisupply.com/bbq-disc-blade-discada/p/85077/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I saw this in Bergen Norway. Looks similar. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I saw this in Bergen Norway. Looks similar. 

Wonder how big a tractor it takes to pull 20 or so of those?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    this should put into perspective the foolishness behind whether a plastic bucket is "food safe"

everything is food safe if you aren't a complete stooge.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    this should put into perspective the foolishness behind whether a plastic bucket is "food safe"

everything is food safe if you aren't a complete stooge.
    but...but...there is no warning on the plastic bucket the handles can get hot
    I think I would rather have a Mojo griddle than that for most things.