Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

48hr Sous Vide Brisket

Options
GRN96WS6
GRN96WS6 Posts: 60
I did a 48hr sous vide brisket @145 degrees then seared it 2 mins per side on the BGE at 600 degrees, the result made me happy, let 's hope the party patrons later feel the same.

Tommy
LBGE

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Options
    I've been wondering bout this for quite some time now, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Hard to argue with the bend on that slice! How do you like the taste?

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    Looks good.  I love my sous vide but don't know if I can bring myself to going with a brisket.  Maybe the flat though.  Let us know how it turns out
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• GRN96WS6
    Options
    The taste was good, not quite as good as smoking it but it still had good flavor all over and the party attendees didn't complain. 
    Tommy
    LBGE
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
  • KamadoDragon
    Options
    I wonder what would happen if you put a brisket on the egg until you hit the stall then in the Souis Vide for 12 hours. You would get the best of both worlds; the traditional flavor of a smoke, and the collagen phase change goodness of a long exposure to heat.
    Cooks on: Large Big Green Egg

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I wonder what would happen if you put a brisket on the egg until you hit the stall then in the Souis Vide for 12 hours. You would get the best of both worlds; the traditional flavor of a smoke, and the collagen phase change goodness of a long exposure to heat.
    You can do that or you can slow smoke it for a few hours after the bath to the set the bark. I used an ice bath to chill mine then rubbed it and threw it on the egg for like 6 hrs at 225. Still a work in progress but I like that technique the best so far

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    You can do that or you can slow smoke it for a few hours after the bath to the set the bark. I used an ice bath to chill mine then rubbed it and threw it on the egg for like 6 hrs at 225. Still a work in progress but I like that technique the best so far

how long in the bath before the smoke?  and at what temp?

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    hoofaloos said:

how long in the bath before the smoke?  and at what temp?
    First one I did was 24 hrs at 155. It wasn't right. I will try 48 hrs next time and may fiddle with the temp too. The point was really good but the flat was weird. 
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    I guess what I'm wondering is what is the overall goal?  I love what the sous vide can do but I also love how brisket turns out on the BGE.  Are you attempting to get a medium rare finish with smoke and the tenderness of a low and slow?  Just curious.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    hoofaloos said:
    I guess what I'm wondering is what is the overall goal?  I love what the sous vide can do but I also love how brisket turns out on the BGE.  Are you attempting to get a medium rare finish with smoke and the tenderness of a low and slow?  Just curious.
    Just playing with texture. I don't love most of my briskets off the egg but I have had some great ones as well. I've cooked 100 briskets in my egg. Just trying something different. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

You mastered brisket now changing method  :o
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Don't love most of the briskets off the egg.  Comparing to a stick burner yes?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Don't love most of the briskets off the egg.  Comparing to a stick burner yes?
    Yes. You can get there with an egg but not every time. Gets frustrating But part of the chase.