Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Der Untergang (The Downfall, Eggfest 2012)

Options
1235»

Comments

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Rebecca - you are the bomb! This thread has been a wild one, but honestly you have fired back with the ultimate of come-backs. I love it - and this forum rocks! :woohoo:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    No wet blanket at all.
    I actually checked that out before you asked the question :laugh:

Inquisitive minds think alike
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    You know, i would pronounce her name correctly. I bet she'd (You'd?) like that.

Hard 'G'. Ghee-za-lah.

'Cept she's a Brazilian. They pronounce it: Zhee-zell-ee. But if you want to think of her as a German babe with patent leather boots and a riding crop, I'll definitely understand. :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    There is a possibility that she is pure German blood,from(born/raised)in Brazil.I have no idea what the pronunciation of her name would be nor her lineage.I do know that South America had a huge influx of German immigrants after WWII.
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    I've found that women mostly prefer if you try and pronounce their name, correctly or not, rather than perfectly enunciating anothers. :blush:
  • stike
    Options
    You know. You are correct

Although I get nervous when you mention she's Brazilian via Germany
  • stike
    Options
    Funny thing is there is one lonely guy in the room who doesn't get it, and swears I am trying to destroy the place

I haven't seen a more friendly thread in a long time, and yet I'm being told I am destroying the place

Can't win for losing
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    And....you can't win OR lose if you don't play. Clearly the forum is alive and well and it's all good. :)
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Ha-ha....it's true. When I lived there, I worked with a Brazilian-born, Brazilian-bred guy named Klaus Dieter Schultz. He was the first guy to help me learn Portuguese that didn't relate to profanity, drinking or sex. I still had a lot of fun with him about when his mom and dad made it into Brazil (it was indeed before the war).

And yes, Hoss, there are a lot of ethnic Germans in Brazil, particularly in the southern states like Parana, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul. Some good German food and wine down there, not to mention great beef from the Brazilian gauchos (they're not all in Argie).
  • stike
    Options
    i had a buddy that was an importer (and exporter?) that lived in Sao Paolo. taught me a few portugese swears... for some reason the only thin i can remember is "public worker ass" (Foon-si-nar-eeo Bun-dah, or something similar.) :laugh:
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Rebecca,
    In all honesty you are much, much, much, much closer to looking like Gisele than Stike does to George. MUCH CLOSER!
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    LOL...funcionario bunda...that's what that means!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I gotta say, I never heard that there, but I can imagine what it means.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    CBBQ, you just made my day! :laugh: :laugh: :silly:

BTW, when was the last time you had your eyes checked? B)
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I've met you at a Fest. And I was sober at the time. LOL
  • stike
    Options
    that's the truth....
    :laugh:
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Lower case bill had to email me about all this. Between Jake :( , computer crapped out and got new one ordered and all the over time haven't cooked in almost a month and forum time has been sadly at a minimum. Been using a Droid x just to survive. Worst thing about the Droid is it corrects my damn spelling! :laugh: Probably get fired causes that video will not load on my Droid so I opened it on the company computer!! :ohmy: I'm actually kind of up set I'm not higher up on the forum food chain. I mean if that drunk Kanuk can make it into the video and I can't where does that leave me to go??!! :laugh: Steve if I come to Florida and drink a Moose Head with you will it improve my standings??? ;) Stike glad you left bill out of it. Gum butchering Dr. would have got his panties all in a wad!! :whistle: Thanks for a laugh. I'll be back and will make sure the new computer don't correct my spell'en!! :blush:
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    That's some funny crap :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Bump, because, well...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    You are disturbed, but that was GREAT!
    Chris, you have NO IDEA just how disturbed stike is! I'm calling his wife and see if if he's slipped off his meds again. Senile? What? Where's my keys I have to take a shower now. Who was I going to call?
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Have to say though....  This was too specific to the time and place (the old greeneggers.com forum), and especially the personalities, that it doesn't really make much sense five or whatever years later

sundown for example had two accounts (and had just taken up kayaking), which not a lot of people knew. Hence the winklevoss twins rowing at the end

lotta stuff like that that if you dunno the back story, falls pretty flat 

AlaskanC, duck prosciutto (i was giving out duck prosciutto out to people left and right when we'd meet up).  Stuff like that

Fidel (as himself) is a big dude, expert in arms and general mayhem, ex-military, and a little scary when he wants to be. Hence the full-metal-jacket ref. 

And flashback bob. I worked with him. And he was always asking goofy questions. So, you know, the goofy steve martin character. 

You know what they say. If you hafta explain it. Only then I didn't hafta. Was agreat crowd. Like this place has its crowd too. 

that old greeneggers forum was lightning in a bottle then. Not so much now, it's crickets over there

this place has that now though.  The in jokes and behind the scenes stuff. No one would get a "boiled brisket" referencein five years. But couldn't miss it now

in short, it was funny to me as hell then. But the zeitgesit is no longer with us for that sketch. You can't go home again

:)

maybe the Eggzilla one will make more sense. Fewer obscure references in that! 

Anyway. I'll say the only thing I tried to do was punch the majors syllables when hitler was talking so that you would hear similar words from him as in the subtitles. Small victories for small minds (mine). 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Here's the eggzilla one

only backstory is that there were rumors of a massive egg ('eggzilla')coming out. And someone posted a picture on the forum of the giant fake one. Half the old timers thought the thing was real, but anyone with a brain could tell it was a trade show prop. 

Ed Fisher had just turned over BGE to the new crew (HQ, Berlin) and the forum elders were paranoid as hell. 

and there was a mysterious person on the forum (so called 'Number5', who may have been Jodi?) posting who seemed to be a BGE insider. No one knew who it was, but they would from time to time make official announcements. 

Anyway number5 mentioned a BGE press release about a grill bigger than the XL, supposed to compete with the Primo Oval

fidel posted the tradeshow pic and the forum elders (almost literally all the old people) rhiught it was real

https://youtube.com/watch?v=t95ixvCYaVc

EDIT: holy hell 'the antisocial network' is right after it. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I remember that like yesterday! Well played, Jeff!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I'm still NOT senile!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    responding to a four year old post with the same reply you used four years ago, as though you've never seen it before, kinda implies differently  ;)