Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Chicken and Flat Iron Steak

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

Options
    On the weekend, the question always is; What are having for dinner this week, so the shopping can get done on the weekend for the week's meals.  We have been eating alot of chicken lately, so I thought I'd cook two chickens and have plenty of chicken meat for the week.  What's leftover, I'll freeze in a FoodSaver bag.  Started with the chicken first.  Set the Large up for indirect with the platesetter at 275*.  Added one good size chunk of hickory for smoke, and let that smoke out a little before adding the chicken.  Prepped the chicken with kosher salt, cracked black pepper, and Lawry's seasoned salt, so it be just a neutral seasoning.  Trimmed the birds up; cut off the neck stub and butt stub, and stuffed it in the cavity.  Also stuffed in the neck from the "internals" bag that comes included in whole birds, and also cut the wing tips off and stuffed them.  My goal with this is to add natural moisture to the bird.  Smoked for 2 1/2 hours.  I flipped them a few times, and throughout the cook, a slowly raised the Egg temp from 275* to a finish dome temp of 350*.  160*ish IT on the breasts and they were done and rested.  They pulled easily.  This week's meals with the chicken will be BBQ chicken nachos, on a Ceasar salad, in sandwiches, and in lunches. 
    Member since 2009
    Options
    Next was the beef.  Pulled the plate setter off, and brought the Egg up to 550* direct.  I used the Jaccard blade on the steak and then seasoned it.  Seasoned the steak with Holy Cow Meat Church Rub, and kosher salt and cracked black pepper.  Let sit on the counter seasoned for an hour.  Grilled it hot and fast for about 8 to 10 minutes, flipping and rotating every two. Rested for 5 minutes and sliced it thin.  Sorry for no sliced picks or pulled chicken picks.  Mrs. 500 gets really annoyed  when I take pics.  Steak was tender sliced against the grain, and paired well with Ceasar salad, sauteed mushrooms, garlic bread, and Cabernet.
    Member since 2009
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks pretty damn good there five -hundo!
    Options
    Thank you, Page!  My daughters are my biggest critics; they are quick to tell me when the food is overcooked.  I got a "tastes good" from Daughter #1 on the steak last night. 
    Member since 2009
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,057
    Options
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    500 said:
     I used the Jaccard blade on the steak 
    Question if I may. What are you thoughts on Jaccarding a flat iron versus not? I love flat iron but have yet to Jaccard one. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    SGH said:
    500 said:
     I used the Jaccard blade on the steak 
    Question if I may. What are you thoughts on Jaccarding a flat iron versus not? I love flat iron but have yet to Jaccard one. 
    You can cut em with a fork as is? Must be like butter with jacquard. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Awesome looking meat!  Those chickens didn't miss many meals...those are some nice and plump birds.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Seriously good lookin eats brother 500!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I think jaccarding the steak made it seem to be as tender as a filet cut. This cut was kryovacd at Kroger for $8/# all day. I also think adding the chicken bits in the cavity help keep it moist. Both techniques are in my go to Arsenal from here on out. 
    Member since 2009
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Nice cooks ...  Both of um
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Yes please!!  I really like the texture of LnS chicken.  If you can find it you should try white oak smoke on LnS chicken.  It's remarkable 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
    Options
    I have a forest of oak trees in my back yard but I have no idea what kind of oak trees they are
    Member since 2009
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Great looking grub!  Flat iron steaks are hard to find here in Tulsa.  I'm inspired now to ask my butcher to cut me a couple.  I too use the Jaccard regularly; usually on pork loin when I'm cooking pork cutlets or on round steak cooking chicken fried steak.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I'd give you 245 a cook.  That's 490 out of 500!  Nice work and good write up. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
    Options
    Awesome looking meat!  Those chickens didn't miss many meals...those are some nice and plump birds.  
    They were about 5 1/2# each; free range organic Simple Truth birds from Kroger.  On sale at $2.50/#.  I think they taste better than the Perdues and Tysons. 
    Member since 2009
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    Great looking grub!  Flat iron steaks are hard to find here in Tulsa.  I'm inspired now to ask my butcher to cut me a couple.  I too use the Jaccard regularly; usually on pork loin when I'm cooking pork cutlets or on round steak cooking chicken fried steak.
    Flat Irons are always at my Kroger now.  The in-store butcher doesn't cut them, I don't think because they are cryovaced.  $8/#.
    Member since 2009
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    500 said:

Flat Irons are always at my Kroger now.  The in-store butcher doesn't cut them, I don't think because they are cryovaced.  $8/#.

Most grocery chains have "outsourced" the butchering to the meat packers and it gets delivered to the stores already cut. Some stores no longer even have the proper equipment to cut the meat. I go to a local (well about an hour away) butcher because I can get what I want the way I want it  (Yeah, how selfish of me).  When you ask for steaks, the next question they ask is how thick.