Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke leak

Options
Hello, I recently purchased a large egg last week and have done 3 cooks all below 350.  I really enjoy the egg and have not had any problems except when I close down I get smoke pouring from the bottom vent.  I have sent pictures to my dealer and he offered to replace the bottom which is great.  I am curious if this is normal or sign of problem.
Thank  you

Comments

• jimithing
    Options
    I don't have a large, I have an XL but I wouldn't call that normal.  Looks like maybe they twisted up the vent as they were installing it.  I've seen people put gasket material around the vent to make them more air tight but if your dealer is willing to replace at N/C then I'd say let him.  He's just replacing the vent, right?  I can't imagine why he'd need to replace the whole bottom.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Not normal, should be no air in or out when closed completely, that's part of the egg greatness 
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    That bottom vent isn't sealing right. Are the tracks clear to allow the vent to close all of the way? 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • severtlaw
    Options
    Thanks. The tracks are clear and I made sure all screws were tight.  The dealer said he would replace the door assembly so I assume that is what the bottom vent is called. I am very new to this after having a propane smoker that leaked everywhere. That's why I wanted to make sure it was not usual to have that amount of smoke billowing out on shutdown. The customer service from the dealer has been great. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I suggest you try a low n slow and see how she holds a temp. I'm guessing you won't have a problem.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Who ever attached the bottom vent did a lousy job of applying the underlying beads of silicone! I'm very surprised your dealer didn't know that. BTW that vent is not screwed on, those are through the shell bolts with nuts on the inside. In order to remove the vent the guts have to come out to get to the nuts. In addition the track may need to be closed tighter and that can be done easily while the vent is off.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Frontal head on shot of the vent please. Almost looks like the solid piece is on bass ackwards. And if there's a boat load of smoke and you just shut it down the smoke will find the path of least resistance whether it be a gasket, DFMT, SW, lower vent or whatever. However, minimizing leaks is preferred. 

Edit: Disregard.  Now it's letting me enlarge your day pic.  Likely a loose channel. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    Options
    not normal.  have your dealer fix it.  if it's leaking like that it's going to burn your lump up after you shut down.
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI
  • severtlaw
    Options
    Here are some better pictures of the vent.  Thank you for all your help.  I have only owned for 7 days would you return it?  Again the dealer has been great delevering for thanksgiving etc but I am loosing some confidence in the purchase.
  • RRP
    Options
    Those still aren't very clear, but does it have a second sliding door behind that solid one? It would look like a screen.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    severtlaw said:
    Hello, I recently purchased a large egg last week and have done 3 cooks all below 350.  I really enjoy the egg and have not had any problems except when I close down I get smoke pouring from the bottom vent.  I have sent pictures to my dealer and he offered to replace the bottom which is great.  I am curious if this is normal or sign of problem.
    Thank  you

You obviously are a long way from the "no gasket" level of Green Egg cooking.  A little leaking smoke doesn't hurt anything, or compromise your ability to control temps.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• severtlaw
    Options
    Yes there are two doors one is a screen. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    RRP said:
    Those still aren't very clear, but does it have a second sliding door behind that solid one? It would look like a screen.
    @RRP ... looks like everything is in place and assembled correctly.  See the double black tabs on the left from the screen.  The center tab on the left (w/o the black cover) is part of the back-plate guide and is aligned with the screen tabs so the screen is fully closed.  And, the solid door is on top with the tab to the right ... as it should be.

@severtlaw ... Does the smoke come out of the gap between the egg and the back-plate?  If so, then a little RTV around the inside of the cover-to-egg gap would solve any leakage escaping out between the back-plate and egg gap.  Also, the RTV around the bottom gap will help keep ash from collecting there.  Said another way ... open the doors (screen and solid) add some clear RTV to the small gap you see between the back-plate and the egg.

If the smoke is coming from around the back-plate to solid door gap, then you can tighten up the gap a little.  Lay a small board on the rolled edge of the back plate and then hammer lightly to slightly add additional bend to the slide track and tighten it up.  Too much tightening and the doors will bind ... so go slowly.

Let your dealer look at it, but I wouldn't worry about it.  There is no-to-little smoke when folks shut down their egg, so they don't see the leakage that takes place.  Would be willing to bet that if they added smoke wood, got it going good, and then closed the egg down they'd see the same amount of smoke as you've pictured.

When I start my egg up on the FB or Guru, it looks like a miniature rocket on the launch pad ... smoke leaks out of every tiny gap.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    RRP said:
    Who ever attached the bottom vent did a lousy job of applying the underlying beads of silicone! I'm very surprised your dealer didn't know that. 
    No offense, @RRP, but can you really see the problem from the pics?

I would really like to see a dead on pic of the bottom vent to actually see if it's seated right. 

My stab from the pics is the bottom vent isn't fully closed..............for whatever reasons. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Who ever attached the bottom vent did a lousy job of applying the underlying beads of silicone! I'm very surprised your dealer didn't know that. 
    No offense, @RRP, but can you really see the problem from the pics?

I would really like to see a dead on pic of the bottom vent to actually see if it's seated right. 

My stab from the pics is the bottom vent isn't fully closed..............for whatever reasons. 
    no offense taken, but when I posted that reply this afternoon I based it on two things. First it appeared to me that the smoke was rising from underneath the vent meaning it MAY have not been seated properly in the silicone. Second, this would not be the first time a vent wasn't seated/sealed properly coming out of the factory. Turn over happens with the best of companies. 
  • severtlaw
    Options
    @SmokingPiney   Do either of these help?  I appreciate all the input.  
    Thanks
    Todd
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I think the vent just needs a reseat in the silicone. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i dont see anything wrong with the vent. theres a chance the ceramic got wet in the rain and that the wet ash sitting on the bottom is steaming off from the fire above.  that happens to my egg after a real drenching or non use over several weeks, it stops after the egg is fully warmed up and dry
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks pretty minor to me. Are you using a bunch of smoking wood and what exactly is the temp at shut down? Not out of the question to have the heat seek the pAth of least resistance. Might be a sign that you have a really good gasket seal. On higher heat cooks <300 this back draft can occur. 
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    I have a Large BGE, and while it's not unusual to get a little smoke in the bottom vent, I've never seen anything like that.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    When it's dark, close the vent completely and shine a light bulb or flashlight from inside bottom and 'see' the gap(s)?
    canuckland
  • severtlaw
    Options
    @canugghead that's a great idea.  I know my dealer has contacted corporate so I curious what they say,  I appreciate all the input and advice.
  • severtlaw
    Options
    Thanks for the light suggestion.  The top left is not attached to the egg.  Thanks to all for your advice and input.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Silicone bead and you're fine. Mine is very visible along the door and egg...
    Seattle, WA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    severtlaw said:
    Thanks for the light suggestion.  The top left is not attached to the egg.  Thanks to all for your advice and input.
    Glad it worked out for you, it was just a hunch.  Now I wonder if we can use this instead of the dollar bill test, but it's not practical to wait till dark to mess around with dome alignment though  =)
    canuckland