Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sazon Ribs recipe, Smokin Todd you out there?

Options
The Virginian
The Virginian Posts: 275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dear Todd,
I still remember those sazon rub ribs you did at Egggest several years ago. If your keeping that one to yourself I understand, but if you are making the recipe public could you please post it? I have a rack of ribs in the fridge and would love to do it sazon-style. [p]Thanks,
Brett

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    The Virginian,
    Does this help?
    Happy Memorial Day to all and thank those who we have it for![p]Pork, Rack, Ribs, Smokin' Todd's

This is my first attempt at making a rub and used simple "spice classics", with the exception of the paprika, to make it simple. Over time I will experiement with fresher ingredients. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Of course lump was provided by Big Green Egg Brand, hickory chunks were "charboil brand" baught from Home Depot, and cherry chunks, and very large ones, were provided by purchasing from www.peopleswoods.com.
    [p]Ingredients
    3 slabs ribs
    *********RUB*********
    1/2 cup brown granulated sugar
    1/2 cup Goya Adobo
    3 packets Goya Sazon -Con Culantro Y Achiote*
    1 3/4 Tbs dried basil
    1 3/4 tblp dried oregano
    2 Tbs dried parsley
    1 Tbs onion pwdr
    2 Tbs cyanne
    2 Tbs hungarian paprika**
    1 Tbs black pepper
    2 Tbs salt

1 The pork spare ribs were done at Eggfest at 300*, using a mix of cherry and hickory chunks, for 3 hrs due to time. But I recommend always doing ribs at 250-280 for 4/12 - 5 hrs.
    2 Of course removal of the membrane(for some reason Char buddys' piece had the membrane) and rub the ribs generously 24 hrs prior to smoking them -allow the sazon to fine the meat. And I am proud to say these were JSLOT approved...my personal rib hero.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Smokin' Todd[p]Source: BGE Forum, Smokin' Todd[p]*There are other sazons out there. This is the one that is very important to use and should be available in any food store. If for any reason you can not find it email me and let me know.[p]** I used this type of paprika because it's the only one I have. Not sure what difference there would be if another type would be used. RuhmAndJerk would be a good reference to explain the difference for a recipe.

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    The Virginian,
    Thanks to Richard for retrieving that post(in the archives i sssume?-if you got this somewhere else I would like to know where).
    The ingrediants you should concentrate on is the zazon,adobo, and salt. This time I would use turbado sugar rather then brown sugar-I learned much more since then.
    Although I didn't use sauce I would this time. Even add some sazon to the sauce prior to brushing them on as it would give it more "spanish style" taste.
    Let us know how they turn out.
    ST[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    Archives is correct, in Living Cookbook format.

• The Virginian
    The Virginian Posts: 275
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    THanks, will do. [p]Brett