Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any recommendations for cast iron grid?

Options
I'd like to replace my steel grid on my LBGE with a cast iron one.  I've found the Big Green brand on Amazon for about $50.  I'm sure that would be fine but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any other styles/types.  

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    I would suggest not getting one.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • ckillian
    Options
  • travisstrick
    Options
    general maintnance and whats the upside to a CI grid? I see almost no benifit to a CI grid. The only thing that I think they do better is making marks on meat. (I can make decent grill marks with my stock SS grid)
  • badinfluence
    Options
    I have the bge cast iron grids for most all my eggs and love them I would recommend it.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • UncleFred
    Options
    I have both, and use both.  For steaks, tri tip, and burgers I use cast iron (usually upside down for wider grill marks). For chicken, shrimp etc. I use my stainless steel one.

As a rule of thumb, if I'm grilling direct it's cast iron, indirect it's stainless steel.

As for maintenance, if you season your cast iron grid like you would a cast iron skillet you shouldn't have too much of a problem, I haven't.   

...wait, strike that... I live in San Diego and it never rains here so I never have a rust problem so what do I know.
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    When I first got my egg, I was using CI grid until I figured there was bo benefit to it. I get really good sear marks using the stock SS grid... The SS does not require babysitting.

For the folks that recommend the CI grid. What is it about the CI that you recommend? What about the CI is better than other options?
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I'd recommend a cast iron pan or griddle for searin before the grid. I have one and hardly use it. If anything I wish I got a smaller one and used with spider maybe
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• UncleFred
    Options
    Tradition?  ...It just seems that every great steak house I've gone to over the years was grilling on cast iron grids.  I figure the pro's should know what they are doin'

A taste difference? ...that's a subjective call that isn't worth debating.

I know that I switched to cast iron on my gas grill because they lasted longer than the powder coated steel ones that came with it.
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have and XL and the CI comes in 2 halves.  I have done a semi-indirect by leaving the back CI off and pushing the fire to the back and placing the meat on the front CI.  This allowed me to add smoke chips later in the cook without having to dismantle everything.  I typically use the SS as a platform for the fire bricks that hold my pizza stone.  

I have an 2009/2010 model XL and it has a CI fire grate with lots of small holes.  Not sure how I would feel about the later version where the holes are 3/4-1" in diameter. Seems it would lose a lot of fairly good-sized pieces of lump down into the ash.  I use a lot of that stuff for second/third cooks - like when I just want a hot dog or 2 grilled :)   I have considered adding more small holes to the the current one but no time at the moment...
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    I would suggest not getting one.
    + 1

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@ckillian I have the Hi Que S/S and like it.3/8 S/S rods I believe. It is a bit $$ but will last forever. And works great with my WOO.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    SS or this: image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• badinfluence
    Options
    @travisstrick‌ personally i like the cast iron for searing burgers and chicken and ilike Iit better then the stainless as the grid is narrow so the meat don't fall thru the grate. If seasoned well and kept dry they won't rust.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    If you use the CI properly, keep it away from water and use it once a month, there is no extra maintenance. I keep mine outside and it is exposed to humidity, heat, and cold and I don't have any rust. I use mine on a spider for high heat cooks. The regular grid for everything else.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    general maintnance and whats the upside to a CI grid? I see almost no benifit to a CI grid. The only thing that I think they do better is making marks on meat. (I can make decent grill marks with my stock SS grid)
    I have to say I get pretty good results with SS.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I recently got the CI and really like it.  I'll probably follow the advice above and use the CI for direct cooks and the SS for indirects. 

BUT, it is great for cooking vegetables because the thicker greats do a better job of supporting small or tender items and you lose less between the grates (shrimp, fish, asparagus, potato slices, etc.).  So, since I like cooking on CI anyway *and* I get the added benefit of thicker grates...it's a win!

However, I just saw the Hi Que S/S in this thread and if I knew that existed, I probably would have bought that.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Handcyclist
    Options
    According to Eating Well a heath oriented news site, cast iron leaches iron into the foods that are cooked in it.  This is not bad, it is good as many people are lacking iron in their diets. and using cast A well seasoned cast iron cooking pan also uses less oil and therefor the food has fewer calories and fat content.    

http://www.eatingwell.com/healthy_cooking/healthy_cooking_101_basics_and_techniques/3_health_reasons_to_cook_with_cast_iron
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Craycort makes a very nice cast iron grid. If you are considering cast iron you should at least give them a look.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited September 2014
    Options
    ckillian said:
    I'd like to replace my steel grid on my LBGE with a cast iron one.  I've found the Big Green brand on Amazon for about $50.  I'm sure that would be fine but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any other styles/types.  
    Forgot to answer the original question. I have the music city metals one that's on Amazon for $59.  It's a nice piece.  Might be the same as the $49 unit, but the picture of the $49 unit is way to small to judge it.

The Craycort is a pretty cool piece if you pick up the extra inserts.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I have craycort for my weber kettle - very good quality. I purchased a large BGE CI grid for my egg and have never used it. I don't think there is tremendous benefit in an egg although I do have a CI plate setter and wouldn't be without it.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options

Excellent observations. What's the big deal with CI grill grates? Cosmetic grill marks? How does that make the food taste better? I'd say skip the CI. Spend the money on rubs.
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I like the CI for cooking meatloaf and burgers.  The closer spacing and wider bars tend to keep everything together until the meat binds a bit from cooking.  It also allows better smoke circulation around a meat loaf and gives a result I like better than cooking it in a pan as the grease can drip off. JMHO
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I happened to be on Amazon this morning, and they had the Music City Metals CI grid for what seemed awfully cheap.  It's still there for $36 shipped.  I've got an older LBGE with the porcelain coated steel cooking grid, except the porcelain is long gone, so now it's just a rust coated steel grid.  I'm hoping seasoned, this one will do better.  Amazon shows what looks like the OEM grid gripper/lifter tool as "frequently bought with" this item.  Will my OEM tool actually fit and hold up to the weight of the CI grid?