Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am THANKFUL !! Why I Love My XL !

Options
2 years ago, I heard about the Big Green Egg.  My wife talked me into going and looking at them. I wasn't interested..."Too much money", I said.  I smoked 4 butts Monday night....5 more just went on the Egg !!  No, I'm not eggdicted!!"

MCR Turkey going on first thing in the morning.   Love me some MCR.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,138
    Options
    The XL is a workhorse for sure!  I love mine.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Nice.  That is a loaded egg.  Maybe and XXL next?

Phoenix 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Ozzie_Isaac  that is for sure. I love letting it work, too !!!!

blasting   I've got 6 years until I can retire....I'll be saving up for one until then !!!!  As you probably already know....no restaurant can produce like the Egg.  NO BODY around my community can even come close !!!!

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Donnie, you cooking for a church meal again?  That's a bunch o pork!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Looking good!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @dldawes1, been missing you brother.  Good to see you back in top form!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,194
    Options
    These pics should end the "should I buy a large or an XL" threads. 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I cook a 10-11 lb Boston butt about every other week on the XL.  Word gets out and friends and family seem to drop by.  It rarely lasts more than a day. I think I will start cooking 2 at a time.  One to eat and one to hide from the hungry masses.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I love my XL! It was my wife's call too. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    Woah that's a lot of meat!
  • travisstrick
    Options
    That's why they call it the "no regrets" model. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    I am still regretting not taking Mike up on that XL and MiniMax deal he made you and I last year about this time.  And now he has closed up shop.  I snoozed and I losed.  But sooner or latter, I will own one of those bad boys.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    While I probably use my medium three times as much as the XL, when you need space, the XL is king.  My 14 pound spatchcock turkey fit easily, without needing to get creative - just plopped it on.  Truly the "no regrets" model.  If you are only going to have one egg, I believe the XL is the one to have.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    I too first heard of the Big Green Egg about 2 - 2 1/2 years ago. I decided that I wanted to buy one (a large) but waited until the right time to inform the wife of the cost to own one. I took her to the local Ace to buy dog food one day and we just happened to start looking at the BGE's. Once she saw them she "talked me into" buying an XL. That was last November right before Thanksgiving and since then we have started "thinking about" adding a Mini-Max or Small. I am so thankful for all that God has blessed us with!
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Lots of replies running through this old hard head right now! I'll see what I can do...

theyolksonyou , no church group this week....just friends and family. I gave some away, cooked some for other folks, and I'm in hog heaven myself !!!!

jhl192 , I found a secret...freeze a butt still wrapped in foil, and wrapped additionally in freezer/butcher paper. A couple days before ready to eat, let it thaw, then stick the whole thing, still wrapped in the crockpot for about 1-1.5 hours.  It will taste like it just came off the egg.

FarmerTom , Hey my friend (I hope...)  I still owe you some Rockwood.  I look for your truck almost every daty when I drive by going home from work. I haven't forgot it, just haven't been in the right place at the right time. I've been getting some from Firecraft....I will take care of you....I'm just very slow and negligent.

Thanks everyone,  on an endnote, here is my MCR Spatch Turkey that I topped off my Thanksgiving morning cooking spree with !!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,413
    Options
    @dldawes1 - As above, glad you are back on the forum as you definitely push the envelope with what you can cook on the XL.  And your enthusiasm is unparalleled.  Keep it coming...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    My next egg will be an XL  B)
    Jacksonville FL
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    No worries dldawes1.  With our son getting married here on the farm this summer, catching up everything that was let go, and problems with my hip, I haven't been in Carrollton much this summer and fall.  By the way, we were in Versailles a while back and stopped in where Bluegrass Grills was located.  Got the bad news that Mike had closed up shop.  However, Henry's Outdoor Power Equipment that he operated out of is still carrying Rockwood.   Picked up four bags, that was about all we could cram into my wife's car.  Really irritated I didn't go for that XL.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My first was an XL, and I could not have picked a more perfect cooker for our needs at home. I will often joke about the after cost of the BGE, post purchase, but my XL, has been my most intelligent buy for outdoor cooking.  It is so versatile. The money we have saved, cooking for a family of 4, and hosting many large gatherings, has paid for the XL, easily in less than a half of a year. For us, being a dedicated BGE cooking family, it became necessary to make an additional BGE purchase of a MM to take on the road camping and tailgating because the food is just so much better. If anyone is debating size for the purchase, I totally recommend the XL if you have a family of foodies, and entertain frequently.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I love my XL.  It's the best thing I ever grovelled for.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I love the room of the XL, these are two ten pounders with plenty of room, this was right before I pulled them off with the breast at 160 with very crispy skin.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Bought the large and sold it in 3 months to get the XL.  Should have just got the XL and been done with it!! 
  • 2beast
    2beast Posts: 50
    Options
    My first was a large which I use all of the time.
    My second was the XL and it gets used a lot.
    Had both of them in operation for Thanksgiving day!

Greg
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    When I was looking to replace a dead gasser, my son recommended I look at the BGEs.  He didn't have one, but thought I should.  I found the XL and figured even though it was a lot more than some of the gassers I was looking at, the lifetime warranty sold me. Not to mention the possibility of doing "real" q. Six months later, my son also bought the XL. He just wanted to be sure that he would like the BGE and used me as a guinea pig.  I have never been disappointed and this year, for the first time, I smoked a 15lb turkey. DANG!!! was that good. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Way to put that XL to work!  Love mine.  It's a great cooker.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• A5firearms
    Options
    I love my XL, but I really think I need to get a companion for it!
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters