Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Forget the turkey... Favorite side

Options
Sher-bear cooks the best dressing and gravy ever. Damn it's good. 
Mama C... The sweet potato casserole... More of a dessert. 
Aunt Shannon... Unbelievable squash casserole 

Just so we're clear... Southern is dressing. The only stuffing here is our faces. 

Happy Thanksgiving.... Thanks to the many Armed Forces that make it possible. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Tie.  Creamed onions and celery root salad.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Legume said:
    Tie.  Creamed onions and celery root salad.That's gotta be a northern thing.. I've never heard of it. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Legume said:
    He said FAVORITE! sheesh. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    My moms dressing with giblet gravy. 

Then creamed sweet potatoes with toasted marshmallows mixed with salty mashed potatoes.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Hey.. I can't decide... I made deviled eggs tonight... I could make a dinner of those. Topped with candied jalapeños. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    henapple said:
    Hey.. I can't decide... I made deviled eggs tonight... I could make a dinner of those. Topped with candied jalapeños. 
    You're gonna kill the climate, Tony!
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Baked Mac and cheese... Easily
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • Legume
    Options
    Legume said:
    He said FAVORITE! sheesh. 
    Bite me carpet boy - he said one and named four.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Giblet gravy and @HuskerMaMa 's cranberry sauce. 
    Homemade Keylime & Pumpkin Pie. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @legume it's his thread, his rules. 

I can't cook, but I can make the shît outta some carpet!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ooh & @HuskerMaMa 's Sweet Potato Casserole w/ or w/out marshmallows (I prefer it fully Monty style) with toasted pecans. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Oma's turkey stuffing, F-ing killer!
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    My mom's neighbor when she was growing up always made amazing dressing. When my mom got married and moved from Asheville to Atlanta, she begged her neighbor for the recipe and her neighbor gave it to her with the condition that she never tells anyone else. My dad's sister, Mary, started begging my mom for the dressing recipe and since she was nervous about fitting in with her new relatives she gave her the recipe and made her promise not to tell anyone else. The next year, the Atlanta journal constitution held a contest for the best thanksgiving sides. Guess which dressing won. Only now it was called Mary's famous cornbread dressing. There's a lesson to be learned in all of this, but it escapes me. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited November 2015
    Options
    so I've been told my secret ingredient red skin mashed potatoes are killer and folks want to eat my scratch turkey gravy as soup. but as far as other people's recipes, I'd say my deceased grandma's sweet potato casserole (lots of nuts and brown sugar for the crust) or my wife's corn pudding casserole.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    STUFFING.  Actually stuffed in the boid. Nice and moist with drippings. Oh, yeah!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    My favorite side goes clear back to my childhood. It was my Father's favorite as well and I'm 71 now. We still make it every ThanksGiving! Mom just called it scalloped oysters. Ingredients obviously are oysters, sliced sautéed mushrooms, some diced green pepper, lots of butter, crushed crackers and whipping cream. WOWSER is that rich and delicious! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    RRP said:
    My favorite side goes clear back to my childhood. It was my Father's favorite as well and I'm 71 now. We still make it every ThanksGiving! Mom just called it scalloped oysters. Ingredients obviously are oysters, sliced sautéed mushrooms, some diced green pepper, lots of butter, crushed crackers and whipping cream. WOWSER is that rich and delicious! 
    I could get used to that!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Stuffing from the bird for me. Wife told me this week she heard on the radio that its dressing if its cooked on the side and not in the bird. Stuffing is in the bird. So I said so if I stuff a ham in the turkey does that make stuffing? I got the  :| look. Its location right? 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Trixie_Belle
    Options
    Baked Mac and cheese... Easily
    Smoke the Mac and cheese....it's a heavenly experience 
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • Legume
    Options
    henapple said:
    Legume said:
    Tie.  Creamed onions and celery root salad.That's gotta be a northern thing.. I've never heard of it. 
    Celery root salad is a German thing - tradition in my family and I got lucky, tradition in my wife's as well.  Almost identical.   It's kind of like a slaw made with cooked and grated celery root that's loaded with cider vinegar - served chilled.  Cuts right through all of the heavy/fatty things to set you right for another trip around the plate.

Creamed onions contribute to climate change  =)
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Dressing and moms homemade noodles.  Now I have a neighbor bringing sausage dressing tomorrow and may have a new one.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Dressing and gravy for me. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    banana pudding
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I don't like deviled eggs much but the jalapeño topping would make them awesome. 

Stuffing. Browned sausage, then sautée onions in the grease. Add fresh herbs, celery, apples, diced cranberries, the stuffing cubes. Add stock until almost wet. Bake it up. Stuff face. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man it is hard to choose but for a few years my wife has been making grits and greens.  If that's not southern I don't know what is.  It is basically heavy cream, butter and cheese with some grits and collards as garnish.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TrailRunner
    Options
    Sweet potato casserole is my favorite side. 
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    It's dressing and giblet gravy for me, with the best of everything else involving one of those two items: mashed potatoes with giblet gravy, Parker House rolls to sop the giblet gravy, etc.