Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf question

Options
I got the temp from other threads (350).... but my next question is, right on the grate indirect? or is it best to put it in something like pyrex (indirect)? I am aware that I'll need a drip pan if I go right on the grate.
LBGE in Northern VA

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I prefer "right on the grate indirect" with drip pan.  An extra dish to clean, and I think it gets a little more smoke, better texture not sitting in container and grease. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    Options
    @Focker Thanks...thats what i thought too
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    For small meatloafs I set them right on the grate. However for ones 5 pounds and heavier, I set them on a sheet of foil. This helps to remove them without breaking them. Just something I like to do as a precaution. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I use cheap disposable expanded aluminum fish/vegetable topper grates. Much easier to handle and mitigates the risk of losing the meatloaf. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    The first time I made meat loaf in an Egg the recipe I was following said to start it in a loaf pan, but then after some time (I forget, maybe 45min?), when it wasn't done but would have been firmed up, some, to carefully take it out of the pan and put it directly on the grate.

More recently I've just formed a loaf on one of those perforated pans they make for grills and cooked it that way over a drip pan, and I think I like it best that way.