Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Thread

Options
ok everyone, this could be the greatest thing ever, or a total flop, but either way it will be fun.

POST A RECIPE and/or PICTURES OF YOUR FAVORITE DISH TO COOK ON THE EGG FOR THANKSGIVING 

I think everyone would enjoy and could benefit from this. Thanks!

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Recipes?  :lol:  All of mine are buried in my family's left brain. Secreting this knowledge would be as productive as locating Hoffa. :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Can I get any stickers for posting?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The only thing I ever cooked for Thanksgiving was a mad max turkey a few years ago. In Mom's oven. Delicious! Never cooked anything for T day in an egg. Except for that one year, someone else has always cooked (and never on an egg). I just show up and eat. It's awesome!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Thanksgiving staples on Horton Hill. 
    Fried and smoked turkey, seafood stuffed chickens and little ham to boot. The ham makes a great turd (floaters).

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
      Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Let me start that for the past 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). 

A short while ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only.  Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both lots of Sugar Maple and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.
    New item: just did spiral and worked out fine.  

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    @SGH, Thanks for no pics of the floaters.  :o

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Can I get any stickers for posting?
    Only if your recipe is worthy
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Max weight for spatchock bird on LBGE?  How well would turkey FTC for a couple of hours?
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    bud812 said:
    @SGH, Thanks for no pics of the floaters.  :o
    I wasn't sure if I should post them or not ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @slovelad
    After reading this thread again, I now realize that you were looking for recipes, not pics. My bad brother. 

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @SGH I have 2 turkeys in the freezer and a ham in the fridge. I was planning to egg a turkey and a ham for Thanksgiving. Considering also frying the second turkey now that I have a fryer. Any tips on frying a turkey? I could always google, but I'd rather have tips from you.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • slovelad
    Options
    SGH said:
    @slovelad
    After reading this thread again, I now realize that you were looking for recipes, not pics. My bad brother. 
    No apology needed man, I am looking for some recipes, but pics make anything better (especially books).

i am always thrilled to see your pictures, you have some awesome cooks!
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    Any tips on frying a turkey? 
    Absolutley brother. The most important thing I can offer is to be absolutley sure that the turkey is completely thawed. The slightest spot still frozen or even partially frozen is a real problem when deep frying. It just will not cook. I know it goes against the grain, but I let turkeys that I'm going to deep fry warm up to room temp. This way there is no doubt that they are thawed. Frying them is pretty straightforward. If frying a whole turkey, I preheat the peanut oil to 375 degrees then drop the bird in. This will set the skin. I do not try to bring the oil back up to 375, I let it fry at anywhere from 280-310 degrees. Trying to bring that much oil back up to 350-375 with 15 pounds of cold meat in it can cause you to scorch the oil. I have fried a lot of birds and can assure you that keeping the oil at 280-310 will produce a perfectly crisp skin and a juicy bird. Plus you won't scorch your oil.  I don't follow the "minutes per pound" that you see recommended. I temp the birds with my Thermopen and pull to my liking. For me, l pull when the thickest part of the dark meat registers 175. Usually the breasts will be right around 160 at this point which is just about perfect. I like a spicy or "Cajun" style bird so for a rub I use 1 part salt, 1 part black pepper and 2 parts cayenne. But you can use anything that you like. I like to inject the birds heavily with Land O Lakes real butter. Feel free to use store bought Cajun Creole Butter or whatever you like. But to me, the Land O Lakes is a tough act to follow. So to recap:

1. Be sure that the bird is thawed 100%. I can't stress enough how important this is when deep frying. 
    2. Try to limit you birds to 15 pounds or less. They fry much better than larger birds. I find 10-12 pounders to fry the very best. 
    3. Inject with butter or creole butter. Again I prefer Land O Lakes real butter. 
    4. Rub with your rub of choice. You can rub pretty heavy as some of it will wash away in the hot oil. 
    5. Drop into 375 degree oil. Maintain oil temp between 280-310. Toward the end of the cook when the bird is getting done, the oil temp will start to rise back toward 375 degrees. This is normal. But during the cook don't try to force it as you can scorch your oil. Just try to hold the 280-310. I assure you it works perfect. 
    6. Pull when the deepest part of the thighs register 175 degrees. The breasts should be in the 160 degree arena at this point. 
    7. Don't try to use the "minutes per pound" guide. Cook to internal temp. 

General notes.
    Peanut oil is preferred. It tastes great and has a high flashpoint. 
    To brine or not. For deep fried, butter injected turkey, this is one time that I don't think that it really matters if you brine or not. However I still like to do it. 
    A brine bird will cook faster. 
    15 pound and smaller birds fry more even than larger birds. 
    Again, I can not stress enough to be absolutley sure that the bird is 100% thawed. When deep frying, this is a must, not a option. 

I hope this helps my friend. If I missed anything, feel free to ask. I will gladly offer what I can. You are in for a real treat with the deep fried turkey. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @slovelad
    I have a few holiday recipes I will post here when time allows. 

Status- Standing by.

• NC_Egghead
    Options
    +1 on this ^^^^^^^^ from @SGH
    also be sure the turkey is perfectly dried off; inside and out. This will prevent the hot oil from splattering when putting the bird into the cooker. I usually go religiously by the 3 minutes per pound or, about 2 beers rule but also be sure to be ready to cut back on the heat after about 2/3 of the way done since the oil temp will rise quickly as the bird nears completion. Don't bother too much with the rub, IMHO fried birds are better with injections. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    @DMW  great advice from SGH  and NC Egghead.  If you're using a large turkey pot on a burner it's a good idea to put the bird in the pot the day before the cook and add water until the water level is  just above the top of the turkey.  Remove the turkey and mark the water level.  This will be your oil level before the cook.  It's simple, but it avoids adding too much oil in the beginning and creating a grease fire.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Wow @SGH, that is some serious cooking. Great advice on the deep fried turkey. @Mickey, thanks for the infor on the ham. I am going to do one for Christmas like that.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Wow @SGH, that is some serious cooking. Great advice on the deep fried turkey
    Thank you sister, I appreciate the kind words. 

Status- Standing by.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    @DMW when trying to measure the amount of oil, first put bird in pot and cover with water, when you cover bird turn off water. Remove bird and mark that water level. This is your line for adding oil. Trust me, you do not want to have to much oil when you lower the bird in. No bueno
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    @DMW when trying to measure the amount of oil, first put bird in pot and cover with water, when you cover bird turn off water. Remove bird and mark that water level. This is your line for adding oil. Trust me, you do not want to have to much oil when you lower the bird in. No bueno
    I put the bird in a new white trash bag and then put it in the pot and fill with water Like Chubbs describes. Putting it in the trash bag means I don't have to dry the bird as much after and I can do it last minute if I forgot to do it earlier.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Sandi_k
    Options
    This is how we did our turkey last time we hosted:

Thanksgiving went very well - I bought a fresh turkey on Monday night. Kept in the fridge until Wednesday, when we cleaned it, dried it, and put it uncovered in the fridge.

On Thursday morning, I removed it from the fridge at 11 am, and brought it up to room temp. I placed it on a V-rack in a 9x13" pan, and prepared it a la Mad Maxx - onion, lemon, salt and pepper in the cavity. For the paste: 2 sticks of softened butter, chopped thyme and sage, 2 tsp of minced garlic, and then sprinkled with Bone Sucker Sauce. Then I iced the breast for about 30 minutes, while we started the BGE.

The pan - about 8 oz of chicken broth, onion, lemon, and a quartered green apple.

Once the Egg was up to 350, the bird went in, with the previous plan:

- Charcoal 1" below the platesetter, bring temp up to 350 and stabilize.
    - Platesetter legs up, grate on top.
    - Roasting pan on grate, with chicken broth, veggies, etc. in the pan
    - Rack in pan
    - Turkey on rack, legs to the back of the BGE.

I checked it at 10 minutes to make sure the temp was holding, then let it cook for an hour before I tried basting. In the end, I simply "basted" with chicken broth from the box every 30 minutes.

The 15 lb turkey cooked in 2 hours, 45 minutes. A beautiful bird! Very tasty, and moist too. I'll see if I can attach pics.

Thanks for all the help - we will definitely do this again, since it was great to have the kitchen oven freed up for other foods!
  • slovelad
    Options
    Sandi_k said:
    This is how we did our turkey last time we hosted:

Thanksgiving went very well - I bought a fresh turkey on Monday night. Kept in the fridge until Wednesday, when we cleaned it, dried it, and put it uncovered in the fridge.

On Thursday morning, I removed it from the fridge at 11 am, and brought it up to room temp. I placed it on a V-rack in a 9x13" pan, and prepared it a la Mad Maxx - onion, lemon, salt and pepper in the cavity. For the paste: 2 sticks of softened butter, chopped thyme and sage, 2 tsp of minced garlic, and then sprinkled with Bone Sucker Sauce. Then I iced the breast for about 30 minutes, while we started the BGE.

The pan - about 8 oz of chicken broth, onion, lemon, and a quartered green apple.

Once the Egg was up to 350, the bird went in, with the previous plan:

- Charcoal 1" below the platesetter, bring temp up to 350 and stabilize.
    - Platesetter legs up, grate on top.
    - Roasting pan on grate, with chicken broth, veggies, etc. in the pan
    - Rack in pan
    - Turkey on rack, legs to the back of the BGE.

I checked it at 10 minutes to make sure the temp was holding, then let it cook for an hour before I tried basting. In the end, I simply "basted" with chicken broth from the box every 30 minutes.

The 15 lb turkey cooked in 2 hours, 45 minutes. A beautiful bird! Very tasty, and moist too. I'll see if I can attach pics.

Thanks for all the help - we will definitely do this again, since it was great to have the kitchen oven freed up for other foods!

Malinda delicious! Would love to see pictures!
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    @Sandi_k said: "On Thursday morning, I removed it from the fridge at 11 am, and brought it up to room temp."

From everything I've read on food safety, this is a no no for any kind of poultry. Might want to reconsider doing this again. I'm going to try the Mad Max method myself this year. Good luck with yours.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Get this: we have our local BBQ Place, Pit to Plate, smoke our turkey. We do a 10K in the morning so this frees up our time...we provide the Turkey and Turkey Breast, pick up smoked and ready on Wednesday for T-Day dinner. My favorite side, which I don't have the recipe for now (can provide later if others request) is cornbread/sausage stuffing and roasted vegetables: green beans/broccoli S&P at 450. Awesome!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.