Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker & Brisket Fail - Enjoyed Brisket

Options
2»

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,041
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Just send an e-mail to Stoker and they'll get right back to you... in a month or two. Their CS over e-mail sucks.

I set my router to give the Stoker a permanent reserved IP address. So no matter what, it's the only device that gets that IP and it always gets that IP. Try doing that first.
    @Toxarch I hear you. I did receive an email from them two weeks later when I asked about an update for when my blower/probes were being sent out. I'll definitely try giving it it's own IP address. I have lots to learn with all these suggestions. Far from techie but I'm determined now to get this figured out!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Low tech here. Use a digiQ 2. Mine has worked every time, with no issues. I lose sleep from time to time, because I mostly do night cooks. The end result is an awesome cook.
    restaurant depot provides great packers at a great cost.
    @YukonRon I've been reluctant to sell my Auber Instrument pid controller until I get my Stoker figured out. It's about as simple as it gets. The Stoker definitely has it's upsides. The reason why I purchased it. The Auber looked like gold during the sleepless night however
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Now you know why it was on EBay, brisket looks good.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    @WeberWho? When I first started using the Stoker II the network would apparently drop the connection.
    The problem was my laptop would "go to sleep"  =) and disconnect from the Stoker II and the network. I made an adjustment to the energy settings on the laptop by changing it to "never sleep".
    The Stoker II would just chug along fine without the network.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Hotch said:

Taken from a prior post by @DMW:

Something else to keep in mind. The Stoker, as well as the BBQ Guru CyberQ are 802.11b only.

I think that was true only for the Stoker Wifi (black with white labeling). I believe the Stoker II Wifi (black with red labeling) is updated for wireless g, and maybe n, but not sure.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Hotch said:

Something else to keep in mind. The Stoker, as well as the BBQ Guru CyberQ are 802.11b only.

I think that was true only for the Stoker Wifi (black with white labeling). I believe the Stoker II Wifi (black with red labeling) is updated for wireless g, and maybe n, but not sure.
    Yes, that is correct. The new Stoker II WiFi is 802.11b/g/n (2.4ghz only).

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Yep it is the damn B radio that will give you fits. Most WIFI home routers (with built in WIFI) shut down the B radio. And the WEP is a pain.

That is why I moved on to a solo WAP for B radio and hard IP when I used the first gen Stoker WIFI.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Hotch said:

Something else to keep in mind. The Stoker, as well as the BBQ Guru CyberQ are 802.11b only. You might want to get an wireless AP dedicated to the Stoker that isn't competing with and slowing down the rest of your wireless devices. If I ever get one, that's what I will do. Hard wire the AP to your router and only configure the Stoker to connect to it. This will also allow you to place it as close as possible to your Egg/Stoker. Set it up on a dedicated SSID and channel that is different from your other WLAN. Keep in mind with 2.4Ghz WLAN there are only 3 non-overlapping channels (1,6,11). Also, if you have close neighbors that have WLANs on interfering channels with yours that can cause problems.

Also this may make for good reading:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1819314/#Comment_1819314

Like I said before, once I had the correct WAP, set it correctly I had 0 issues with the first Stoker Wifi.

You could just go commando and not worry about the Wifi. You will need to turn it off in the setup as the Stoker will boot up looking for a Wifi. If not connected it will then switch to NON Wifi mode.

I now have an 802.11 n/AC WAP (Stand Alone) so If I need to use the Wifi 1 Stoker it is either with a bridge or hard wired.

I plan to give it to my neighbor once he orders in the probes and blower.

Thanks! @Hotch

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Now you know why it was on EBay, brisket looks good.
    @Brisket_Fanatic Thanks! The risk you take I guess with ebay. Will see how this gamble plays out

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

@WeberWho? When I first started using the Stoker II the network would apparently drop the connection.
    The problem was my laptop would "go to sleep"  =) and disconnect from the Stoker II and the network. I made an adjustment to the energy settings on the laptop by changing it to "never sleep".
    The Stoker II would just chug along fine without the network.
    @Billy Grill Eggster Good thinking. I'm running everything from my phone. I'm able to let my phone go sleep and didn't seem to bother it. Some glitch. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!

Minnesota