Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheapest jerky

Options
Thinking of doing a bunch of jerky for friends and wife's coworkers for Christmas. What's the cheapest way to go? I've got a slicer. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• chays99
    Options
    I'm no expert but eye of round from Costco has been the best option for me. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Depends what a "bunch" looks like. 20 lbs--200 lbs
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I've used a top sirloin (london broil) cut with great success.
    NOLA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Pork Belly or even bacon jerky- yum. Belly is $2.29 at RD and will be different than anything else they have ever had. You could do shoulder too (like $1.69lb at RD and Sams. These are both way cheaper than beef and will be more "boutique-y" than anyone can find in a store somewhere. You get the benefit of saving money and giving them something unique. Yay Pig!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker thanks man that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm now thinking shoulder. Now to find a marinade  recipe that looks good. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    texaswig said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker thanks man that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm now thinking shoulder. Now to find a marinade  recipe that looks good. 
    Let me know what you find. I'll try it myself if you like it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'll sample at no charge :smiley: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fatty meats such as shoulder and bacon will make good jerky, but you need to keep them in air-tight dark containers if you plan on storing for long because the fat will eventually start to go rancid.  Not dangerous, but an unpleasant odor.

This is why eye of round and other lean meats are usually used. 

However, if you're like me, you like jerky because it tastes delicious, not because you harvested a huge amount of meat and need it to last through the winter.   You can always store it sealed up in a bag in the refrigerator.

There are some tricks to keeping the fat from going rancid (oxidation - reaction with oxygen - of the fat or hydrolysis - reaction with water).  Obviously keep sealed with minimal air and keep it dry are the main tips.  But you can also add some antioxidants to your marinade - vitamin C or E.  Which you can buy anywhere.

Or just eat it within a week or two.  
    Options
    Get in good with a deer hunter 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    I've never heard of bacon jerky, thanks for the clarifications nola.
    I want some now.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I know someone's going to come along and say - "hey, they age hams, prosciutto, copa, salami, etc....why don't they go rancid?".

Well, they're not cut into thin sections. Most of the fat is inside and protected by the outside rind, or casing.  And that fat on the outside can get rancid, and if it does and degrades the quality - you cut it off.
    Options
    @nolaegghead   I recall that you have a 10 tray unit.  Is it the exalibur with glass doors?  If so, do you like it?
    Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @blasting not sure on the make.  Yep 10 ss trays, digital PID controller.  No glass door.  I really like it.  I cleaned everything and ran it full blast to clean the element but I haven't dehydrated anything yet.
    I buy up all the extra cornedbeef right after Saint Patricks Day, makes great jerky. I use an Excalibur
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Thanks @nolaegghead for the head up. I tried reading up on pork jerky didn't see alot on google about it compared to other things. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Thanks @nolaegghead for the head up. I tried reading up on pork jerky didn't see alot on google about it compared to other things. 
    Check out the sausage maker www.sausagemaker.com  At least get on their catalog list.  I have their D-10 dehydrator ($600) and the D20 ($5600).  I also bought a $250 10 tray unit from China for about $250 that works really well. All commercial SS grade.

You should check temps with a Maverick to be sure that each unit meets the required minimums as that is very important.

If you are going to do some serious jerky you will need a dehydrator or a smokehouse.  Do not use the inexpensive plastic units even with marinade as I do not trust that they will meet the minimum temps for safety.

Milton, GA.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    get the meat real cold right before slicing, easier.

smoked cheese is a good compliment as a side gift with jerky.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    @blasting not sure on the make.  Yep 10 ss trays, digital PID controller.  No glass door.  I really like it.  I cleaned everything and ran it full blast to clean the element but I haven't dehydrated anything yet.
    @nolaegghead That is a Chinese unit that works very well. You can find them on E-Bay. It holds temps very well.  You can unlock the back to clean out if needed.
    Milton, GA.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @flynnbob Yep, I thought I bought it from Amazon but searching my order history, I realized it must have been ebay.

@texaswigYou can put a probe in any of the dehydrators and verify the temp.  I wouldn't be worried about meeting a "safe" temp for meat if you cure it and hold at 140 (assume the meat will be a bit cooler from the "stall" of evaporation).  Meat temp over 130 for 4 hours is good, but the curing, dehydrating and salt kills most parasites.
    Options
    I thinking about adding a couple more racks to the AR on the XL using the woo. Do you think perforated pizza pans will work?

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You might have to flip the meat.