Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Rub

Options
Greetings all, my first forum post!  Does anyone have a good rub receipe for their thanksgiving smoked turkey? My plan was to keep it simple with a 1-1-1 brine and pecan wood chips.  Asking for some Dizzy Pig rubs for Christmas, but they won't be here in time....so, time to go to the spice rack!
A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @Robo2015   Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

I've only smoked one turkey, so others can give better input, but be sure to post your cook and let us know how it goes.

I injected mine with herb butter and dusted with cornstarch and yardbird.  
    Phoenix 
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    my go to rub is Rub your Chicken, but have used Lawry season salt in a pinch. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited November 2015
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    edited November 2015
    Options
    bell's seasoning mixed with duck fat, frozen, sliced, and slid under the skin on the beasts ;) theres bell seasoning clone recipes on the web if your outside newengland

clone recipe,

Ingredients Nutrition

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I am using this on my turkey this year and in the brine.  https://www.oakridgebbq.com/?product=santa-maria-steak-seasoning
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My favorite is just salt and pepper followed by herb butter on and under the skin. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ^^^^^ is the way I too prefer it, especially sage butter. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Another vote for @SmokeyPitt's approach. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TrailRunner
    Options
    jabam said:
    my go to rub is Rub your Chicken, but have used Lawry season salt in a pinch. 
    I used this to do wings the other night and it's great!!!!!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    We do SPOG for the rub and an aromatic brine with onions, garlic, and fresh herbs.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone!  I'll post some pics when the big day comes
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • BhamMan
    Options
    I must cook my Turkey today for Thanksgiving tomorrow. I will need to refridgerate the bird overnight. This is a 19lb bird and my first. Anyone have some tips or "to do's" that will make it taste as good as if I served it today? I hate not serving right off the Egg, but it is a lunch Thanksgiving.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
      Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.