Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - UGH! It's Mouse Season!

Please no helpful cooking tips!  I hate mice!  If you live in an older home like me, chances are you know all about mouse season.  This year we're using two different traps and keeping track of their productivity.  We're using two of Wilma's past favorite which is an "old school" peanut butter baited trap that's enclosed in a plastic housing to keep the yuck factor down.  We're also using a battery operated trap baited with dog kibble that zaps them.  The season opened last week when we noticed we had company.  So far the score is old school two, new school two.
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    They probably hate you equally and are trying to kill you in kind by spreading feces and disease on your toothbrushes.  Good luck.  Much they do you don't notice.
  • Do not envy you at all - damn I hated those little buggers when we lived in the east. Dad used to say they love the warmth in the house and suggested we hang the food outside and turn the thermostat to off - probably would have worked but never tried it. I did try those noose (elastic bands that strangle them) traps, worked very well for the average mouse - but the dark side in me likes those spring loaded kill bar Victors. Good luck! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I hear you...I keep 4 snappers baited year around in the garage and 4 in the basement plus two bait feeders since we have no cats and our Westie can't go down there. I typically only get one kill a year now and no sign of any activity.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Please no helpful cooking tips!  I hate mice!  If you live in an older home like me, chances are you know all about mouse season.  This year we're using two different traps and keeping track of their productivity.  We're using two of Wilma's past favorite which is an "old school" peanut butter baited trap that's enclosed in a plastic housing to keep the yuck factor down.  We're also using a battery operated trap baited with dog kibble that zaps them.  The season opened last week when we noticed we had company.  So far the score is old school two, new school two.

Fred, you took all the fun out of it with your first sentence.  Best of luck with your mouse hunt though.
    Phoenix 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I've used the wood spring ones a lot. They work but can be annoying to empty and reuse. The electronic zapper one is nice but expensive. I now use the black jaws ones from Tomcat. Easy to bait, easy to set, easy to empty. I use peanut butter and don't have to rebait it for several years and it keeps on catching mice every year. Hard to find a picture of them, they probably are changing the design because Lowes doesn't show it anymore on their website and Home Depot has a mix of old and new white pics on their website. Can't add a link or pic of it. Just google "tomcat snap mouse trap". You can buy 12 of them for like $30.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Rat zapper is the bomb!
  • These are the ones we're using:

Flint, Michigan
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Good luck Fred. We had an infestation a couple years ago when the dog sitter left the garage and garage door open for several days. The got behind the dishwasher and ate a hole behind the couch into the stairs. We ended up calling Orkin and they used a version of these.

I I have a bunch of different types in the garage, outside, and in the basement.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I suppose I should be happy I get invaded by spiders instead of mice.
    But I'm not.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    been getting two a week at camp, usually get a few dozen at home but the racoons next door in the abandoned house must have kept the population down. =)  the lower fan on the fridge turns on and off, have nailed two with the fridge fan =) whats the chances
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • =) Not mice, but squirrels here.  Those damn furry roof rats beg the hell outta us in the winter. 

I've used pepper bombs recently to drive them out with scent pollution. 

then have trimmed back all the trees and branches that are in jumping distance to the roof line!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    My wife and daughter brought home a kitten about five years ago.  Was newborn from a barn cat.  That cat has killed every mouse, chipmunk, etc within 150yds of my house.  When we first moved in, had a mouse or two the first two years.  Now, not a sign of one.  She's earned her keep.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    My old neighborhood had a rat problem.  They would get in my crawl space and garage.  Disgusting little creatures......can't stand them.  Always had poison and traps out.  I know your pain!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Had mice once, we got a cat problem solved....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    I have two cats. No problems with mice.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • When I married Wilma, she brought her two cats into the house.  I am by no means a cat person, but I was looking forward to the end of mouse season.  One cat was old and the other was lazy. I still had mouse season.
    Flint, Michigan