Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help with a break in the middle

Options
Hey guys looking to see if anyone has ever cooked a brisket partial way and then wrapped it for an hour or two and then put it back on and if there is anything I should be cautious of or any tips anyone may have to help me out.

I'm heading to the Bills game overnight RV lot on Saturday morning and I'd like the brisket to be ready at around 5 - 6 oclock. The problem is that our RV is leaving at around 7 a.m. and we will probably have everything setup in the camping lot around 9 am so I'll have about 1.5 - 2.5 hours of the brisket being half cooked and wrapped in a cooler before putting it back on. Is this the best way or should I cook it all the way the night before and reheat?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    I don't see any issues with your plan to wrap and then back on.  Whatever bark you have begun to form will soften during the hold but will reestablish itself once you get it back on the heat. 
    Don't know anything more about your cook but if you are aiming for that 5-6 PM window then you should plan to finish early so you aren't stressing to push the cook to the finish-line.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jeff9360
    jeff9360 Posts: 11
    edited November 2015
    Options
    sorry posted wrong link - see below. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I know Centex has held one for 12 hours... Ftc
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dmarois
    Options
    thanks for all the feedback
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    dmarois said:
    Hey guys looking to see if anyone has ever cooked a brisket partial way and then wrapped it for an hour or two and then put it back on and if there is anything I should be cautious of or any tips anyone may have to help me out.

Sure you can do a two part cook. It's not the ideal or preferred method, but sometimes we are forced to do what we have to do to reach a particular end. Here is a interesting fact to ponder. Your brisket is technically "well done" at 160 degrees. Now I'm not suggesting that you stop cooking briskets at 160 degrees, quite the contrary, just pointing out that the meat is well done and perfectly safe to eat. We technically way over cook brisket (compared to other beef) to break it down and render the connective tissue that is not present in most other cuts of beef to make it tender. There have been times due to work or whatever, that I have had my smoker go out during a cook. There is no telling how long that meat sat in the cook chamber partially cooked. I simply fire back up and keep on cooking. All ends well every time. My point is simple. What you are calling partially cooked, may in reality be medium, medium well or well done by safe beef temp guidelines, just depending on the internal temp at the time you stop the cook. Above you stated that it would only be a hour or two before the cooking resumed. If this is the case, I assure you that it will be perfectly fine. A hour or two is a mere blip on the radar. Nothing to get excited about at all. If you have watched the Franklin videos, he shows on one how at times he does basically what you are wanting to do. He suggests adding one large log to the fire and then going to bed for the night. The next day, simply light it back up and resume cooking. Let me clarify this, one log on that size and type of pit will in no way keep it up to cooking temps for the night. It will merely remain warm. This is not speculation on my part. I have owned and used that type of pit for many, many years. Again, the two part cook is neither ideal nor preferred. But there are times it can be a real life saver. The short time that you are speaking off is no concern at all. My only suggestion (and for obvious reasons) would be to pull it before the stall if you are going to do the two part cook. You don't want to pull a brisket in the stall if avoidable. In your case, it's easily avoidable. For the record, I'm neither a Brisket God nor a expert on this matter. As such, if either offer advice contrary to mine, always go with theirs my friend. Good luck with your cook and may the Brisket Gods smile down upon you. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.