Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Semi boneless leg of lamb--direct or indirect

Options
Taking advise of forum members--salt, pepper, olive oil, rosemary, parsley--planning to cook for 1 hour, 20 minutes (4 lbs at 20 minutes per pound) at 350.  Direct or indirect?  Thoughts?

Thx
BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2015
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    planning to cook for 1 hour, 20 minutes (4 lbs at 20 minutes per pound) at 350.  Direct or indirect?  
    Throw the cook time out the window and cook it until it hits the internal temp that you you are shooting for. Cooking times have ruined more good meat than just about anything. As far as direct or indirect, I have had good luck with indirect as well as "raised direct". The choice is yours. However my favorite way for leg of lamb is to give it a forward sear. Sear the meat and then finish roasting it indirect. This gives me absolute control over the final pull temp. There is really no right or wrong way. Just the way that you prefer or are set up to do. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Either works. Less overdone meat with indirect
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Just did a bone in leg last night. Indirect at about 275°.  Wife said it was the best she has had.  Carry over was grater than I anticipated, so be careful with that when considering when to pull off the grill.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    Thx all.  what is carry-over?
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    Just means the internal temp of the meat will continue to rise after you remove it from the egg.  Remove the meat 5-10 degrees under your target internal temp. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Careful as lamb cooks easily and quickly.  Post pictures!  Not enough lamb cooks on here!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    direct, heavey char and rare internal works for me, lamb is good caveman style direct on the coals
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    Just means the internal temp of the meat will continue to rise after you remove it from the egg.  Remove the meat 5-10 degrees under your target internal temp. 
    I planned on 10º for this leg, but got 15º.  This prevented putting as heavy a crust as I wanted, but internal temp ended up fine.  @eggnewtoy  amount of carry over will vary depending on the temp you cook at. You will get more carryover if cooking at 350º compared to cooking at 250º.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.