Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peach pork butt for the time change

Options
2»

Comments

• Nicholas_Wetton
    Options
    Looks amazing, thanks for sharing.   Would you mind providing the details of the brine?  
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,225
    Options
    Looks great Ron! 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Looks amazing, thanks for sharing.   Would you mind providing the details of the brine?  
    No problem. 12 liquid ounces of molasses, 12 weight ounces of pickeling salt 2 quarts of water. Mix until all is dissolved. Place butt in the brine for 24-48 hours in your fridge. Then remove from brine allow Butt to get to ambient temp. Apply rub, then apply preserves. Indirect At 225F until IT of around 200F.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @YukonRon I'm enjoying the play by play very much. You're like an air traffic controller calling out airspeed and altitude. Can't wait for touchdown.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Looks great Ron! 
    Thank you! This one  was awesome. I put the preserves on just a bit heavier, the crust was amazing. @mahenryak mentioned they were saving the crust for chilli. I think that is a great idea, I think it would go great in a white bean chilli. I gotta try that.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Looks great Ron! 
    Thank you! This one  was awesome. I put the preserves on just a bit heavier, the crust was amazing. @mahenryak mentioned they were saving the crust for chilli. I think that is a great idea, I think it would go great in a white bean chilli. I gotta try that.
    Yep.  I think the chili idea might just be a keeper.  Just like the one who first thought of the idea--my lovely bride.  :grin: 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great job Ron... Looks awesome
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • mahenryak
    Options
    Here's how my baby backs turned out tonight using the peach preserves.  This was the first half that I pulled about 1/2 hour before the remaining  half.  Delicious.  I cut them in half since I cooked it on the KJ Jr tonight.

• YukonRon
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    YukonRon said:
    Looks great Ron! 
    Yep.  I think the chili idea might just be a keeper.  Just like the one who first thought of the idea--my lovely bride.  :grin: 
    Let me know how that turns out. I am going to carve it off before these pagans start grabbing for it. Your wife is awesome dude.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Great job Ron... Looks awesome
    Hey thanks! The BGE did the work, I just drank wine and set the timer. It was very good.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

mahenryak said:
    Here's how my baby backs turned out tonight using the peach preserves.  This was the first half that I pulled about 1/2 hour before the remaining  half.  Delicious.  I cut them in half since I cooked it on the KJ Jr tonight.
    They look absolutely awesome. Man nothing better than that. Did you smoke them, if so, what did you use? I love peach preserves on pork. Got a neighbor mixing bourbon into his peach spread. He is bringing me some later.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • mahenryak
    Options
    YukonRon said:

mahenryak said:
    They look absolutely awesome. Man nothing better than that. Did you smoke them, if so, what did you use? I love peach preserves on pork. Got a neighbor mixing bourbon into his peach spread. He is bringing me some later.
    Ron, thank you very much.  I used peach and pecan wood.  I cooked them at 250 for three hours and then wrapped them for 1 hr with a little apple juice.  I sauced them after the wrap with leftover bbq sauce that I had made for the butts last week.  The smaller half was done in about 4.5 hours and the thicker half about 5 hours on the nose.  The one thing I did different with the peach preserves this time was that I used our vita-mix to make a soup out of it.  My wife said to say thank you very much!  This was her favorite so far.

• mahenryak
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Let me know how that turns out. I am going to carve it off before these pagans start grabbing for it. Your wife is awesome dude.
    I sure will.  It might be a little while before we make it but I will be sure to call it to your attention. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    blind99 said:
    That is some drool worthy grub there!
    Thanks so much. I over ate again. I am miserably full. I hope I can stay awake to catch some of the games today........
    Ron, with enough of that pork, and enough of that good wine you like, I bet the meal will be more memorable than the games!  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    Looks real good. I also like your claws. On mine the tines are too thin. Where did you get yours?
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • YukonRon
    Options
    blind99 said:
    YukonRon said:
    blind99 said:
    That is some drool worthy grub there!
    Thanks so much. I over ate again. I am miserably full. I hope I can stay awake to catch some of the games today........
    Ron, with enough of that pork, and enough of that good wine you like, I bet the meal will be more memorable than the games!  
    Well, being a fan of UK football, I guarantee sleep and inebriation is needed to get through Saturdays. Did tacos during the game tonight. Awesome. As a UK fan, I can tell you it wouldn't take much of a meal to be better than the game tonight. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

mahenryak said:
    YukonRon said:

I sure will.  It might be a little while before we make it but I will be sure to call it to your attention. 
    I will be on stand by waiting for the report, thanks.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    edited November 2015
    Options

mahenryak said:
    YukonRon said:

mahenryak said:
    Ron, thank you very much.  I used peach and pecan wood.  I cooked them at 250 for three hours and then wrapped them for 1 hr with a little apple juice.  I sauced them after the wrap with leftover bbq sauce that I had made for the butts last week.  The smaller half was done in about 4.5 hours and the thicker half about 5 hours on the nose.  The one thing I did different with the peach preserves this time was that I used our vita-mix to make a soup out of it.  My wife said to say thank you very much!  This was her favorite so far.
    the bourbon peach ribs were done in the vita mix, as you had done. They were very good, but for me, I like the preserves alone better. I think I would rather drink the bourbon.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

OmahaOne said:
    Looks real good. I also like your claws. On mine the tines are too thin. Where did you get yours?
    I got them at Cabella's. Paid like 5.00 or something like that. Real cheap.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky