Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does cast iron grate make a difference?

Options
i love searing on my mini, and I am curious... Does the cast iron make a noticeable difference?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    Personally a mini is a great searing machine due to the proximity of the meat and the fire so I don't see the need. OTOH I have only used cast iron on my small for years and never have gone back! With my med and large I see no advantage, but that's just my opinion!
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    RRP said:
    Personally a mini is a great searing machine due to the proximity of the meat and the fire so I don't see the need. OTOH I have only used cast iron on my small for years and never have gone back! With my med and large I see no advantage, but that's just my opinion!
    Thanks for he feedback! I thought I would stir up some action with this one
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    After many discussions, I hear if you're wanting nice grill marks, the CI is okay.  However, I do okay with the standard one.  I don't have a mini, but the standard one works well for me.  

The CI is also a PITA to keep clean and maintain.  Plus I'd rather sear in a CI pan.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    I use a CI Craycort on my large and I do like it, but I don't think it's necessary or makes much difference if any. I use the stock grate on my small and I'm perfectly happy with it. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yes over the factory grate
    Options
    slovelad said:
    i love searing on my mini, and I am curious... Does the cast iron make a noticeable difference?

I will leave the debate between CI and the regular grate to others. However i would like to offer this. I use the mini a lot. Two or three times a day everyday when im not working. With that said, due to the grate being so close to the coals, i found it near impossible to keep the seasoning on the CI grate. I find it much easier and less hassle to use the SS grid with the mini. If you are a casual user, your results may differ. However if you use it daily or more, you will encounter this as well. It gets to be a real pain. I went back to the SS grate on my mini. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    SGH said:
    slovelad said:

I will leave the debate between CI and the regular grate to others. However i would like to offer this. I use the mini a lot. Two or three times a day everyday when im not working. With that said, due to the grate being so close to the coals, i found it near impossible to keep the seasoning on the CI grate. I find it much easier and less hassle to use the SS grid with the mini. If you are a casual user, your results may differ. However if you use it daily or more, you will encounter this as well. It gets to be a real pain. I went back to the SS grate on my mini. 
    Thanks for the insight ! After all the comments, I'm in no hurry to get the CI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,821
    Options
    cast iron grids work better at gaaser temps, high egg temps dont need the benefits of cast iron. i stppoed using mine when bge changed to stainless grids over the porcelain junk grids
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    I don't have a mini, but I'm with @tarheelmatt; I'd rather have an overall sear from a CI pan. Sear marks from the grid are all about visual appeal.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    i can tell you this.....i have the CI grids and basically I paid for nothing, because I am either too lazy to put them in when doing steaks or I forget.....so even though I have them they have been of no use to me.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    i can tell you this.....i have the CI grids and basically I paid for nothing, because I am either too lazy to put them in when doing steaks or I forget.....so even though I have them they have been of no use to me.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    They do make GrillGrates for the Mini now, but they are not cheap. I get a good sear with mine for the XL.

http://mygrillgrate.com/grillgrates-for-the-cobb-grill/
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • chupacabra
    Options
    I leave my cast iron grates in for every cook, I've never used the SS since
    Marietta, Ga
    I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day