Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking soda and ground beef - anybody heard of or tried this?

Options
I have a subscription to Cooks Illustrated, and the most recent issue has a Chili recipe.  What caught my attention was the step of mixing some baking soda with the ground beef before browning.  It raises the pH, causing the meat to retain more moisture.  This allows the meat to brown in the skillet rather than "poach" in all the released moisture, and without overcooking or drying out.  If this chemistry is correct (and their methods are pretty well tested), it seems it should apply to burgers, meatloaf, or any other dish made with ground beef.

I intend to give this a try when I get the chance, but wondering if anybody else has any experience with this technique.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    not yet, but even though CI seems to hate BGE I have been a believer of their tests and product recommendations for years!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    @RRP Ron, In a very recent article that Chris Kimball wrote, he relates to having cooked something on his BGE after the local town celebration. I think their use on TV of so many gas grills is because more of their viewers would own a gasser than an Egg. You have to play to your largest audience. We all know the recipes would be better on the Egg and I believe they do also.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    ATK does plenty of cooking on Weber charcoal grills.  I think they assume most of their target audience just won't spend the $ for a BGE, when a Weber will do for most of their purposes at a fraction of the cost.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have used that process.  A good everyday example is moo goo guy pan (however that is spelled).
    Options
    Increasing the pH favors the Maillard reaction so you get more browning. Try adding a pinch of baking soda next time you sauté onions - watch how fast they brown. (But not truly carmelize)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    How much baking soda are they adding to the ground beef?
    BTW, use chili ground for chili. It's a larger ground and better when cooking chili.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    saw that and I'm going to try it first chance I get.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    How much baking soda are they adding to the ground beef?
    BTW, use chili ground for chili. It's a larger ground and better when cooking chili.
    Not much.  They recommend 3/4 tsp to two lbs of 85% ground.  

When I make Chili, I use a mix of 50% ground and 50% diced smoked chuck or brisket.  I just got a chili grind plate for my KA grinder, will be using it for the next batch.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    I believe this practice is common for chevapi and other European meat kebabs.  Been done that way for many years.  Never tried it myself but chevapi was the first place I saw it. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Some chili competition people are using 1/4+ ground sausage in their chili.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Some chili competition people are using 1/4+ ground sausage in their chili.
    This is what I do with meatloaf, too.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options

I am so trying that.  Thanks for the tip...

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Put chemicals in my food?!?!?  Next someone will suggest sodium chloride merely for flavor! (irony alert)

yes. 'Chemicals' are fine. They have a purpose
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]