Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to spatchcock?

Options
I bought a whole chicken today to do a test run on spatchcock as I am going to do a turkey next week.  Any tips on how to prepare the chicken and turkey to spatch?  do I remove the backbone?  video somewhere?

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    also, How big of a turkey can u spatchcock on a Large BGE?
  • EggHeadDad
    Options
    @blakeas -- I have spatchcocked a turkey several times.  I have easily fit a 18 to 20 pound bird on my large BGE.   For spatchcocking a turkey I recommend you invest in some good poultry shears.  I use the OXO shears.  They give you good leverage in cutting through the turkey's ribs along the backbone which are substantially tougher to get through than the little chicken in the video.  Here is another video on spatchcocking a turkey for the BGE.  The guy in the video uses a meat cleaver to get the backbone out.

Good luck!

• blakeas
    Options
    with the AR rig I just bought - can a whole turkey spatchcock'ed fit in it?
  • EggHeadDad
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the AR rig.  Someone else will need to chime in . . . .
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    Checkout the Ceramic Grill Store dot com, they sell the adjustable rig (AR). GIves you plenty of options for cooking in layers.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I've done this with anything from cornish hens to 9+ lb. chickens, and small turkey.  Make a mix 3:1 ratio of kosher salt and baking powder.  After cutting out the spine with game shears, place on the counter breast up, and press down hard on the breast.  You'll feel something give and maybe hear it crack.  Sprinkle with the salt mix, massage some olive oil around, then sprinkle with any herbs you want (like an Italian seasoning mix).  Bake (either in oven or egg indirect) at 450F.  Time depends on the size of the bird...anywhere from around 35min for cornish hens to a little more than an hour for a 9lb chicken.

If you have the time and fridge space, you can spatch it, do the salt mix, and refrigerate over night to dry brine it.  I've done as long as 24h, or as short as doing all the prep work and putting it straight into the oven (yeah...I'm lazy and don't usually bother with the egg for spatchcock).  

Another thing you can do with any of the larger birds is chop up some onion, celery, carrot, spread those in a foil lined drip pan, toss in a few cloves of garlic, a bay leaf, and about a cup of liquid (I usually do 1:1 water/apple cider).  The veggies cook and combine with the bird drippings and make a great side dish (scooped out of the pan and drained).
  • blakeas
    Options

thx NJL!

anybody have a cook time amount for a spatch chicken?  Just keep checking the breast and pull at 155?

• EggHeadDad
    Options
    My 19 pound spatchcocked turkey only took 1 hr 35 mins so you can the chickens to cook fairly quickly.  I would just watch the breast meat and look for about 155 to 160 degrees.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Here's another video on spatchcocking a turkey.  Not aimed at the egg, but very informative none the less.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoWN34tH7eE

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• blakeas
    Options
    yeah  - the chicken yesterday only took 35 minutes
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    I do a chicken at 425 degrees direct-mainly in the mini-max. Usually takes around 45 minutes.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I have a pair of tin snips that I use for poultry. They make spatchcock turkey easy. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• EggHeadDad
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    I have a pair of tin snips that I use for poultry. They make spatchcock turkey easy. 
    That's too funny . . . I was looking at a set I have in the garage thinking they'd make an easy go at cutting the turkey.

• njl
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    That's too funny . . . I was looking at a set I have in the garage thinking they'd make an easy go at cutting the turkey.

I've considered the same thing...trouble would be cleaning them.  My game shears separate for easy cleaning and are dishwasher safe.
  • njl
    Options

blakeas said:

thx NJL!

anybody have a cook time amount for a spatch chicken?  Just keep checking the breast and pull at 155?

It all depends on the size of the bird.  For a good size chicken (8-9lb) at 450F, I'd suggest to start checking it around 45min, but plan for it to take at least 60-75min.

Forgot to mention...if you follow the directions I gave previously, you can make your own gravy from 16oz chicken stock, 8oz of the separated drippings (pour them into a fat separating measuring cup) salt to taste, and about 2 TBSP of corn starch dissolved in water.
  • blakeas
    edited October 2015
    Options

the spatch chicken was great - I used the backbone and innards and made chicken stock from that.  I have a bunch of chicken stock now refridgerated

I am doing the spatch turkey this weekend.  any suggestions?  I want to make gravy but I always mess up the roux.  with the AR I don't think I will be able to get dripping off the turkey

also - I have struck out at walmart and target finding poultry shears.  Will try bed, bath and beyond today

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i just hold the chicken vertical, slip a big chef knife down the hole, hold the top of the chicken with left hand and with the action of a giant paper cutter push down knife to the right and pull chicken to the left. its just two  quick cuts
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    i just hold the chicken vertical, slip a big chef knife down the hole, hold the top of the chicken with left hand and with the action of a giant paper cutter push down knife to the right and pull chicken to the left. its just two  quick cuts
    A large serrated knife works well too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options

Go big or go home
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX