Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp controller

Options
I am looking to buy a temp controller what's yalls advice and what Is a good one to get and pro and cons 

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My advice is to e-mail Jonathan ( @stlcharcoal ) at http://rockwoodcharcoal.com and ask him for a phone number.  then give him a call ... he's very knowledgeable about controllers (kind of a gadget freak) and will guide you towards the best for your need/want.  Also, he normally has the best mail order price ...

PS ... Jonathan once talked me out of buying a unit that I really didn't need ... that's honesty in action.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jwork328
    Options
    Thank you I will do that and also I have a mini max 
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Get a flame boss 200  u won't  regret  it.   
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Stoker. Pros it's very reliable and adaptable to multiple pits. 
                  Cons it's not cheap.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Stoker. Pros it's very reliable and adaptable to multiple pits. 
                  Cons it's not cheap.
    I agree, spendy but you can use it for multiple eggs and it's very solid. Kind of the same as why we bought BGE cookers.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Really depends what your looking for, since I already had a maverick to tell me grate anD meat temp, I opted for The auber just to control the grill. That combo cost me $220ish. If you want one that does all consider what it cost for individual units 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Or you could have a drunk egger sleep out by your eggs overnight and you get a temp controller for 5 eggs. Not that I would know about that or anything.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    I have the CyberQ. It's worked great but if you want to leave your house, your wifi area, setting up port fwding on your router can be a pita.  For that, the flame boss 200 excels since you monitor your cook off their server.  If I had to do it again, I might go the flame boss route
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I'm happy with my Stoker but if I were doing it all over right now, I'd give the tip top unit a try. Very cheap.  After my experience with the Stoker though, I can't go back. Love the remote connectivity and graphing my cooks.  Geek out and BBQ...doesn't get any better. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Jwork328 said:
    ... I have a mini max 
    That's okay, I won't hold it against you.

BTW ... I've been married to the same woman for well over 4 decades ... love her to death ... wouldn't trade for anybody.  So, you really need to marry a blond.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have to disagree with the Stoker. Mine is a royal PITA. Haven't used it in months. Decided to give it another try last night and I lost another cook due to it.  Easily the worst thing I've ever bought eggwise. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    DMW said:
     sleep out by your eggs overnight 

I slept in the hammock last night, babysitting my cook.  Loved sleeping under the stars.

When the temp alarm went off, I was in deep sleep and it took me a while to figure out where I was!

Phoenix 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I have to disagree with the Stoker. Mine is a royal PITA. Haven't used it in months. Decided to give it another try last night and I lost another cook due to it.  Easily the worst thing I've ever bought eggwise. 
    This is an exception and most likely something specific to your setup or your unit.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I will add that their customer service is terrible and it took an act of Congress to get them to communicate with me. I bet I called and emailed at least a dozen times before I got return communication. I'm on my second unit and still no bueno. 
  • Jwork328
    Options
    What about the big green egg digiq dx2 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @DMW Are you for hire?  Will work for Yuengling and egged grub make for a good slogan :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    Options
    @DMW Are you for hire?  Will work for Yuengling and egged grub make for a good slogan :wink: 
    Just provide one of these:

and some booze and I'm there.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    DMW said:
    Just provide one of these:

and some booze and I'm there.
    Be careful I'll take you up on the offer. I'll even throw in some music. Hell we can pull out the futon bed on the lanai play some pool, darts and listen to some tunes while glancing at the Stoker App and just smell the egged goodness. It looks like work right? :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Jwork328 said:
    It's a BBQ Guru DigiQ dx2 ...

• DMW
    Options
    Jwork328 said:
    It's a BBQ Guru DigiQ dx2 ...

But it's green.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @DMW ... and so is mine:

And, a good $50 cheaper ...

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I like my Rock's BBQ Stoker and use it all the time. But like mentioned, their customer service SUCKS. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I'm in.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Jwork328 said:
    I bought one when I got my first egg. I use it for longer cooks, low and slow. I have never been disappointed with the results. It is basic, fits the needs of someone being close. I like it. I use it. I get great results.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky