Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfest Egg

Options
I'm in the market for my first LBGE. I live in Orlando. There is a smaller Eggfest happening about 30 minutes from me next month. Then there's Wassi's in April about an hour away. How are the BGEs "assigned?"  From what I've read it seems like your BGE is assigned to you before the event. Is it just luck of the draw whether you get one that had a big messy cook or one that was gently used?  Any benefit to being in the front of the line to pick it up? Lastly, does the distance I have to travel with it matter?  I'm in a swagger wagon (minivan) if that matters. 

Can't wait to stop oogling and start cooking!

Tammy

Tammy

LBGE November 2015, Orlando, FL

Comments

• jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    Attended my first Sunshine State Eggfest last year in Melbourne. Wassi's is great and I plan on cooking at the one next year. As far as "messy" cooking, the most I saw last time that you might be concerned about was someone grilled a bunch of salmon on.  Either way, when they shut down the eggs, they still take hours to cool down and any residual "debris" will cook down significantly. Many of the cooks I saw would produce, literally, a once used egg, well worth the discount.

As for the assignment, I can't answer that as I didn't buy one from there but I would suggest calling Jan Wassi through their store or via her Wassi's facebook page and ask. I would suspect she allows the selection based on when you paid but can't be sure.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    You have to pre pay and usually you have no control over what cook gets to use your egg and I have seen some very very very messy eggs for a new owner to pick up! You can avoid this by registering as a cook and cooking on your new egg.  I'm always puzzled when people get a demo egg and don't come and cook on there new egg it is such a learning experience. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. If it was me I'd like the most seasoned one. AKA messy :smiley: Besides you'll still have a full factory warranty. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Last year I was cooking at a fest on the west coast of FL and two guys cooked chicken that was marinated in something that looked like Italian salad dressing and that egg was a total mess and that marinade was all over the egg, several of us were saying we pity the folks that have to load that egg into their car! They did not cover the plate setter so it was also soaked with all the grease from the cook.The chicken was very good though. :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Newbies have performance anxiety. However? the fest is probably the single best way for them to learn with so many eggsperts present to help them in a hands on manner. Sign up to cook and keep it simple. Don't be afraid to profess your "newness". You will be overwhelmed with helpful eggers. 
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    The Large was 900 with same meat offer!
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    The Large was 900 with same meat offer!
    Seems well below MSRP, none of my dealers locally are offering deals like this..
  • Tcanora
    Tcanora Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Right now we're leaning towards the demo egg from the smaller and closer Eggfest in November. That way we'll have it for Thanksgiving!

Tammy

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Yes for sure sign up and cook, yes keep it simple also the best thing a new Egger can do. :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Just don't let @caliking cook curry on it and you will be ok!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Are you going to cook as well?

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Tcanora
    Tcanora Posts: 12
    Options
    No. I don't think I'll be cooking (this time). Learning curve is steep and I'm too much of a perfectionist. Maybe next year!

Tammy

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    That's a bummer! it's easy and I know you can do it. Just cook something that you are already good at cooking, I was a gas grill guy when I got my first Egg and I cooked all day with my new demo egg and all the other cooks helped me out and it was the best thing I could have done. In fact I did not even bring something to light the lump with!!!!!! :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Luck of the draw indeed. When cooking at eggfests, I try to bring my own grid, AR, platesetter and grid lifter, so they remain BNIB for the owner.  However, sometimes I drop Tandoori marinade on the gasket inadvertently  :)

Good luck!
    canuckland