Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron plate setter

Options
I've been thinking about investing in a cast iron plate setter. What are everyone's thoughts and/or experiences with using one

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
     I don't think it would work very well. Wouldn't it retain heat? This would make it hard to bring the temperature down. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Iron has a lower heat capacity than ceramic, meaning it heats up with less energy - holds less heat energy per unit weight.  It's also a better conductor.

What this tells me is you'll reach equilibrium faster with a cast iron plate setter.  When you shut down the fire, that heat will be released faster from the iron so you'll see a slower drop in temp than the ceramic, but the ceramic will dump more heat into the system in the long run after shutting down.

What does this mean?  I don't think you'll have a problem dropping the temp over a ceramic plate setter.  Why?   The mass of the egg is so great relative to the plate setter that mass will make a temp drop slow by itself.

The main difference is you'll get more heat through the iron plate setter than the ceramic, as the ceramic is a better insulator.  The shadow from the direct heat is all you really care about but I would think "bottom" cooking would be a bit faster with the iron.

Also, watch out - iron can break like ceramic.

Overall, I think the iron setter would be a good alternative as long as it is durable.
    Options
    I'm not sure how well it works as an indirect cooking tool, but I'd assume it would work fine. However, I did have a burger once that was cooked directly on its surface that was outstanding.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• chadpsualum
    Options
    I have one and it works fine for indirect.  I got it initially because it is a little more durable than ceramic (though not impossible to break).

Nakedwhiz did a nice write-up on it:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/ibcps/castironps.htm

North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE