Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

$699 LBGE deal from Pench-A-penny

so after seeing the prices that everyone has paid for their egg, I'm starting to realize how great of a deal that I got for my egg from pench a penny. 

I live in St. petersburg FL, and I was in my local store, drawling over the eggs, and the sales associates tells me about the promotional deal for $699. They rang it up as 599 for LBGE and 100 for best. 

The he deal is, I have to wait till Nov. 14, and go to the store (which is right across the street from my house) and I have to participate in a cookout in front of the store ( if I don't show up, someone from the store will cook on it), but then they deliver it for free.

i will post some pictures on the 14th

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Just make sure that "pench-a-penny" is an authorized egg dealer and you will be getting a warranty. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    That is a long time to wait from 10/1 to 11/14.  

You must be excited about this.  Hustling decals already and haven't cooked on an Egg yet....
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    @tarheelmatt I am in law school, anything I can do to get my mind off of the library is a +

and the "hustle" was short lived lol I will be the only customer of my decals
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    hell yeah
    Wow, that appears to be one heck of a deal.  Even those in Atalanta are paying more than that from what I've read.
    Phoenix 
  • slovelad
    @blasting I couldn't turn down the deal, little did I know that I would be chomping at the bit for a month ... Might have been worth it to pay the extra 300 lol
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited October 2015
    You live across the street!  I'd approach them about the need to practice before the fest ... maybe offer to pay full price now with a rebate when you and your eegg show up at the fest.

Or, offer to come over and cook on one of theirs to practice ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

That is a great deal. Probably does not include a plate setter so I would look at an adjustable rig from Tom at the ceramic grill store. Order it so you have it in time to start smoking some great  Q.

Great find, nice catch.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • slovelad
    @Jeepster47 at this point I would offer to clean the toilets of they let me take it home.

but as another bonus, which I forgot to mention. They will It up with lump, and give you a $50 dollar store credit that day.

what should I buy that day? I already have a cheap maverick thermometer. Should I just get more lump?
  • slovelad
    @Hotch you are correct, it doesn't come with the plate setter. Which will probably be where my 50 dollar credit goes plus some.

if I get the adjustable rig, do I need the plate setter also?

a link to that adjustable rig would be greatly appreciated
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    slovelad said:
    @Hotch you are correct, it doesn't come with the plate setter. Which will probably be where my 50 dollar credit goes plus some.

No
    slovelad said:
    ... Should I just get more lump?
    At first I laughed at using the store credit for lump ... but, on reflection, that's not a bad idea.  Use the egg for awhile and then you'll be better able to choose what you really need.

The only exception might be if they carry the Thermoworks products ... then a ThermoPop or ThermoPen would be a good choice.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    slovelad said:

As NOLA said no you don't need a plate setter. Just google search ceramic grill store. Get the number and call Tom. Tell him what you like to cook and he will guide you to what you need. I would go with the R&B setup for ribs and brisket.

And now your journey begins grass hopper!!!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    @slovelad, are you planning on getting the AR from Ceramic Grill Store (ceramicgrillstore.com) for indirect cooks?  If not I would get a plate setter.  If you want a good instant temp gauge the ThermoPop from here is good.  I have one.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/thermopop.html

OR this one on Amazon.  The guy I have been helping with BBQ contest has this one and likes it a lot.  

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Accurate-High-Performing-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B00GRFHXVQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444236895&sr=8-1&keywords=thermopop

You have some to to figure out what you want or need to start cooking great food so that should keep you busy for a while.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Hotch said:
    slovelad said:

As NOLA said no you don't need a plate setter. Just google search ceramic grill store. Get the number and call Tom. Tell him what you like to cook and he will guide you to what you need. I would go with the R&B setup for ribs and brisket.

And now your journey begins grass hopper!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

An AR opens a tremendous amount of possibilities and options
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Agree with the above on the AR although I don't have one yet. I've had my XL egg for just under 3 years, and my first PS was cracked and replaced within the first 1 & a half. When the next one goes, I'm getting an AR. BTW, if you decide to make those decals, I'm in Palm Harbor and will take an extra off your hands!
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    edited October 2015
    If you
    mus have the plate setter you could still get the ps woo2 from CGS.  That's what I have and I love it. If I were to do it all over again I would
    probably just go with the adj rig from them. It has some functions that go beyond the woo.
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    I do love my AR!!!
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • slovelad
    i thought i would just get the plate setter ... but now all this talk about an adjustable rig has me intrigued. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,321
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  What follows are a few links that may help get you underway:

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm  

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/ Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/  

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run.

That's more than enough for now.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    @sloveladYour pinch a penny is offering a steal compared to the one an hour or so from me. They are doing a similar event on Nov 7 and are pre-selling L and Xl, with the L starting at $839 with a nest, not that great..
  • slovelad
    @feef706 yea the deal is killer, i was really only window shopping until he threw that 699 number out there. 

Like most consumers...had it been 700, i probably wouldn't have jumped so quick, but thats the beauty of a dollar.