Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with stuffing chicken breast

Options
Last week I cooked some chicken breast but I stuffed them with pepper jack cheese. I did this by inserting a knife in the side of the breast and cut a pocket in the middle. The entry hole was only about a 1 inch slit. By the time the chicken finished the cheese had melted out mostly. And technique that will help the cheese stay in and not ooze out?
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    you can buy cheese that's made for sausage that will stay intact.  Or use a cheese that doesn't melt like feta.  Or parm/romano, some hard cheese.
    Options
    Or wrap in bacon tightly.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I wrap them with tightly with bacon.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ...or meat glue the hole closed
    Options
    I buy bacon wrapped stuffed chicken breasts from UW Provisions in Middleton, WI.  David has probably 10 different kinds but the Jalepeno and cheese stuffed ones are amazing.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    With soft cheeses you need to pound out the chicken breast and then use it like a tortilla. Wrap it up and tothpick it or wrap it in Bacon. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I've done the same thing, @henapple showed me how to cut a pocket in the breast from the top, small slit 1/2 way through then go horizontal with the knife.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    ...but you can't flip them without wrapping in bacon or something else.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    With soft cheeses you need to pound out the chicken breast and then use it like a tortilla. Wrap it up and tothpick it or wrap it in Bacon. 
    What this guy said.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I pound it flat between two pieces of celophane then wrap it around a half jalapeño stuffed with cheese and sausage. Then I wrap the whole thing in bacon and baste with bbq sauce near the end. It's called a chicken bomb and it's awesome.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    If I could agree and like what @SGH and @Toxarch said I would. If you really want to do the stuffed chicken and not lose anything at all, after one flip, put the stuffed chicken on foil, then the cheese becomes part of the coating. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I've done stuff like this before with cheese that likes to melt and if you use the 'pocket' method like you described above here's a pretty good trick to keeping the cheese (mostly) inside. After you do the stuffing pierce both flaps with a kabob skewer and then hang the skewer from a rack during the cook. This keeps the 'pouch' pointed up and the cheese inside until serving. I prefer to use metal skewers and you can do multiple breasts per skewer. I'm sure there are other variations but this should be a good jumping off point.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @leemschu... Try boneless thighs 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options