Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Packer Beef Brisket

Options
GATraveller
GATraveller Posts: 8,207
Local butcher shop ran a 50% off special on their prime packers so I picked up 2.  I always season with S&P but decided this time I would try something a little bit different and went with "Rub Your Burger" for this one.

Coated with seasoning and wrapped in plastic wrap and into the fridge for 24hrs.
Got the egg set up with Rockwood lump and 4-5 fist size chunks of pecan wood from the in-laws yard for smoke mixed in.  Plate setter legs up with drip pan on top separated by a few small foil balls.  Also placed foil balls on plate setter legs to get grid up to felt line.  Used the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 to keep pit locked in at 275.  Once up to temp and smoke blue the brisket went on fat cap up.  I had to drape it over a rib rack so it would fit on my large and also used a bit of foil to protect the end that hung outside the protection of the plate setter.
Here it is after 3 hrs. just before I removed the rib rack and rotated brisket 180 degrees.

I planned on this riding overnight and removing around 6am but it cooked quite a bit faster than expected and came off around 1:30am once the IT hit 194.  It probed perfectly so into FTC.  I cooked it hotter than usual so REALLY missed the timing but still worked out.

Here it is as we sliced it:

Turned into one of the best briskets I've cooked.  Seasoning worked out really well and will do it again.  Great bark, moist and tender.  Everyone with us said it was the best brisket they'd ever had......but they've never had one from SRF.   =)  

Thanks for looking.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
Peachtree Corners, GA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    A thing of beauty right there-congrats on the cook and eats.  Great audible.
    And "the cow always wins."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thank you Sir.  I think that's where a lot of folks run into problems with brisket....they try and judge the cook by time instead of internal temp (IT) and feel.  If I had done this one by time it would have been shoe leather.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    What a thing of beauty, wish I could find some prime brisket, maybe R/D will have it.  
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • GATraveller
    Options
    logchief said:
    What a thing of beauty, wish I could find some prime brisket, maybe R/D will have it.  
    Thanks.  

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks great!  Great job!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm guessing that the shorter cook time could, at least partially, be attributed to the rib rack.  I had the lead for the pit attached to the grate at felt level but the rib rack had the brisket higher in the dome. Wouldn't it have been running hotter up there?  I don't recall ever looking at the dome thermometer. 

Anyone have any other ideas?

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Dang...  You aced this one!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GATraveller
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Looks great!  Great job!
    Thanks.....much appreciated.

Dang...  You aced this one!!
    Almost by blind luck.  Thanks!

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thank you Sir.  I think that's where a lot of folks run into problems with brisket....they try and judge the cook by time instead of internal temp (IT) and feel.  If I had done this one by time it would have been shoe leather.
    Looks good man!

Nah, I read every brisket thread and almost all judge completion by temp and probe feel.  Estimates are given sometimes...like x per pound at x temp, but that is usually followed by "every brisket is different".

I think where a lot of folks run into problems is at the meat market.  Better meat = Better results!  Sounds like you found a good source for great packers.  Congrats!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GATraveller
    Options
    cazzy said:
    lousubcap said:
    Looks good man!

Nah, I read every brisket thread and almost all judge completion by temp and probe feel.  Estimates are given sometimes...like x per pound at x temp, but that is usually followed by "every brisket is different".

I think where a lot of folks run into problems is at the meat market.  Better meat = Better results!  Sounds like you found a good source for great packers.  Congrats!
    Thanks.  Yes - it's nice to have a butcher that I know and trust that always has good quality meat in house......and carries SRF as well.  

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that looks great.  Where is your butcher?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    Options
    Patton's Meat Market in Duluth.  

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Nice work, that looks perfect!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    Looks great
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I wish Patton's wasn't on the other side of the planet from me. Looking good my friend. 
  • littlerascal56
    Options

I used to cook a brisket a month...before everyone on the planet decided the brisket was "gold".  Now the meat markets are pricing the cheapest cut of meat made at "fillet" prices.

Guess that's why this summer's cooks are all "bone in rib-eyes" and "fillets"!  Kind of miss the briskets, but the wife and I are getting addicted to the cowboy rib eyes!  Not fully on board with the "flat iron steaks"  yet.

• littlerascal56
    Options
    BTW...always took my briskets to 205 F.  That's where the fiber broke down and they got tender.  Then put in the cooler with newspaper.  They would stay hot for 4+ hours in that cooler (wrapped), and EVERYONE ranted and raved how good they were when I sliced and served them.  Easiest meal to serve to a crowd, as was pulled pork on the EGG. 
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Looks damn tasty!
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Very nicely done.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a home run to me. Awesome job!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GATraveller
    Options
    BTW...always took my briskets to 205 F.  That's where the fiber broke down and they got tender.  Then put in the cooler with newspaper.  They would stay hot for 4+ hours in that cooler (wrapped), and EVERYONE ranted and raved how good they were when I sliced and served them.  Easiest meal to serve to a crowd, as was pulled pork on the EGG. 
    The original plan was to run closer to 200 IT but it probed nicely at 194 and @ 1:30am I was tired and not willing to rest it before FTC.  I was afraid of carryover.  
    The 50% off special at Patton's was ringing up at $3.99/lb for prime.  I'd pay that anyday! 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATraveller
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    Nice work, that looks perfect!
    GoVols said:
    Looks great
    Looking good my friend. 
    Looks damn tasty!
    Tinyfish said:
    Very nicely done.
    SGH said:
    Looks like a home run to me. Awesome job!!
    Thanks everyone......much appreciated.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA