Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ in Memphis

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,627
I'll be one night in Memphis for work next week and hoping to pull my group to a BBQ joint for dinner on Monday night.  Recommendations?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Blue City Cafe. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Checking with a buddy who works for the Memphis Men's Basketball program....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Interstate; get the BBQ Nachos.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Legume
    Options
    Great - two good suggestions, thank you.

Which has the better brisket?
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    That I can't answer, but the recipe I use for BBQ Nachos came from Neely's Interstate and it really is what I would order as my last meal if I were on death row. I have family in Memphis and Interstate is always a must when we visit.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    BBQ Shop, Paynes, Germantown Commissary
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Options
    Depending on what part of town you're staying in, I'd recommend Central BBQ, (several locations), or Germantown Commissary. I personally think Cozy Corner is best, but I don't think they're open late. 
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Blues City Cafe and get the ribs....
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I ate at Marlow's and had great ribs - many years ago. I can't compare to the other reccommendations.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    You won't find great brisket in Memphis.  It's not a memphis bbq thing. Ribs and pulled (pulvarized) pork (with cole slaw) are the go to Memphis bbq items.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    This is kinda repeating what others have said, but East of the Lone Star State, brisket isn't BBQ. Most of us bbq enthusiasts on here have come to appreciate it, but the few places that do brisket in TN, MS, AL, GA and so on really don't know how to treat it like I'm sure you're used to.

If you're in Memphis, get the ribs or pulled pork wherever you go.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Legume
    Options
    Sorry, I was just joking around with the Brisket comment.  If I had said that while inquiring about BBQ in NC I'm sure there would be been threats made, fists thrown and maybe even a "bless his heart" or two.  I guess folks in TN just have an kinder, easier way about them.  

I fully intend to eat ribs and pulled pork.  I'd have to think about Neely's, not a huge fan of their shows.

Thanks for all of the good advice, waiting on the hotel info from our travel group, but I think it will be on the east side closer to Germantown.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    My Memphis buddies, all of whom are Memphis In May BBQ competition guys said the downtown location of Central BBQ was the best. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Legume
    Options
    My Memphis buddies, all of whom are Memphis In May BBQ competition guys said the downtown location of Central BBQ was the best. 
    Excellent, how's their brisket?  j/k. I appreciate the research on my behalf.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Stay clear of rendezvous... Many 1st timers want to go but I'd pass. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JDoubleH
    JDoubleH Posts: 112
    Options
    Probably to late here but The BBQ Shop on Madison is best in town. Central BBQ is second and Commissary is third, in my book. 
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    Agree with Henapple above. I would rather have a McRib sandwich than eat at Rendevous.  
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Memphis BBQ Co. It is in Horn lake, MS. Really close to Memphis. I remember hearing the owner and cook won 2 or 3 Grand Master Titles in a row for Memphis in May. Melissa Cookston is her name.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• jhkdvm
    jhkdvm Posts: 4
    Options
    Central BBQ original location at 2249 Central is AMAZING.  BBQ nachos out of this world.  The meat plate is tender and delicious.  My office window looks out to their smoke pit and the smell is divine!!
  • Legume
    Options
    Fantastic recommendations, thanks for all of the great input.  This will probably be a game time decision since I won't be driving the bus and will have to coerce our BD guy.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I live in Memphis from 2007-2013.  Depends on what you are looking for.  Best PP and nachos is Central.  BBQ spaghetti and ribs is Interstate.  (This is the dad of the guy from the TV show).  Another great place that not a lot of people don't know about is Double Js.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• MemRubes
    Options
    As a Memphian, I would recommend in this order: BBQ Shop, Central BBQ (either downtown or on Central), Germantown Commissary.  BBQ Shop has some of the best ribs in the city, and BBQ spaghetti. I'd stay away from Rendevous.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have had the BBQ Spaghetti.  Never would have thought thad would have been good but I gave it a try. It was account!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    BBQ spaghetti 
    I have ate tons of both Q and spagetti in my time. They happen to be two of my favorites. But i have never had BBQ spagetti. The very name sound incredible. This i have got to try.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bi11fish
    Options
    Germantown Commissary-Check out Gus's Fried Chicken for lunch if you have time.
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    man i hate that i missed it but yea, central or bbq shop. The end. They'll cover all your needs.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg