Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gonna pop my beef rib cherry tomorrow

Haven't done beef ribs on my MBGE yet.  Done lots of spares, and employ the turbo method with great success.  Dizzy pig red eye rub, mix of apple & cherry, 275-325 dome temp, until they bend but don't break (~3-4 hours).  FTC afterwards is the only time they see foil.  Can I use the same method on the cow?  I'm not sure red eye rub is the play.... it has sugar.  And I will throw some hickory or mesquite chips in, instead of apple/cherry.  Any other coaching, Eggers?
My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
LBGE in Arlington, VA
God Bless America!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    What cut of beef ribs are you cooking?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I wouldn't wait for them to bend, everything else, listen to Scottie, although I think his speciality is buffalo ribs.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Answer Scottie and you'll have the answer!  Scottie hates Buffalo ribs!  Pretty sure!  Good luck with your cook @Shrek!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Shrek
    Shrek Posts: 67
     it just said 'Beef Ribs' on the package, but they look like short ribs.  Here's how they look after 3 hours @ ~250-275...
    LBGE in Arlington, VA
    God Bless America!
  • Shrek
    ... they look done to me... slight bend... I'm thinking FTC for a few hours... AGREE?
    LBGE in Arlington, VA
    God Bless America!
  • If they are probing easily with no resistance then yes. I think beef ribs generally go into the high 190s / low 200s
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • cook them just like a brisket, temps in high 190s low 200s and probing like butter
    Austin, Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Agree with advice above - 3 hours sounds at least 2 hours fast to me.  In my experience, you really have to try to dry them out - not the same as the flat on a brisket.  I'd let them go longer, the meat may be done, but you need to get after all of that fat and connective tissue in there.
  • Shrek
    Went with 5 hours, at IT of ~190.  FTC.. eating for dinner.  Thanks for the help!  Will post one last update after dinner...
    LBGE in Arlington, VA
    God Bless America!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    As above-it's all about the feel.  If they probed with no resistance then you are there.  And likely 5+ hours at your cooking temp.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.