Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket problems (for the 997th time I am sure)

Options
I did my second whole brisket and expected it to be excellent, since my first one was. Basic Aaron Franklin style, 12lb-12oz original weight, 9lb-12oz after trim (yeah sounds like a lot, but it had a good 1/4 inch fat left where it belongs, it looked good). Salt-pepper rub, hickory chunk smoke, water pan on the plate setter, solid 250, never more that 5 degrees off that mark. Didn't open it once until it was ready to probe/temperature measure it.

Pulled it about 185. Yeah, I know probably way early. But it probed like buttah all over, and was nice and loose. It just looked right. Plus it was right at the 75 minute per pound mark, didn't want to overcook it and DRY IT OUT. Therein lies the problem. Oh, rested it for an hour, yes, sixty minutes before cutting. It was F-T-C, not on the counter top. But it rested for an hour.

It felt and looked near perfect. Heck, after the fact, it tasted near perfect. Except it was TOUGH AND DRY.  Well, it was not horrible. But it sure was not perfect. So here's my problem. If I cooked it longer, it would be at a higher temperature. But if so, wouldn't it be even more dried out??? How can cooking it longer make it less dried out??? Does not compute to me.

Please, somebody school me. Should I persevere and go to the higher temperature? I know some accomplished folks don't even go for temperature, just for feel of an ice pick. And this one felt just right. So, what to do?

Thanks in advance.
LBGE

Comments