Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ThermaPen's new "ThermaQ"

Options
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/therma_q.html?

I bought a Maverick 732 a couple years ago.  I thought it was quite difficult to set, but being 5% of the population that actually reads the Instructions, I eventually got it set up, and it was cool to monitor my Egg and meat temps in the comfort of my A/C and recliner.  
It worked twice, then one of the probes quit working.  I bought a second pair of probes, same channel didn't work, so something inside the unit broke.  I hate cheap crap like that.
I always wished Thermapen would built a wifi-enabled system.  This isn't it.  BUT, it looks simple to set up, and with a 100-dB alarm (my bedroom overlooks the patio where I do my low-und-slows) I won't need it (I don't mind sauntering out to the porch occasionally to check the temp, as I currently do with my Polder; it's overnight that I have no control).  
Neighbors may not appreciate a loud alarm like that, but I listen to their 3 d*$&% rat terriers (read: "bait") constantly so screw 'em.  
I'll probably be purchasing this; wo0t!  

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2015
    Options
    A nice unit for sure, but at a hefty $208, you're not far off from a full blown ATC.

That is where TW needs to focus next since they've priced themselves out of this niche. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,509
    Options
    Focker said:
    A nice unit for sure, but at a hefty $208, you're not far off from a full blown ATC.  That is where TW needs to focus next. 
    Whups, yeah.  I missed the fact that $139 buys you the unit only....

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I looked at it recently, the K Thermocouples would be nice.  Not $208 nice IMHO.  And went with the Chef Alarm on sale now for $49.  

If the CA wasn't available for $49, I probably would've went all-in on a Flameboss 200.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• coooltroy
    Options
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I've got two Mavericks, one I've been using for 4 years and the other for over two. No issues whatsoever. You can catch them on sale for under $30. Hard to complain. 

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I can hardly tolerate my Maverick. The meat probe side is fine but the ambient probe is always 75-100 degrees too high and has been since the 2nd or 3rd use. I bought it on-sale for 30-something, so it never worth doing anything about.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Hi @Botch   I didn't see this thread until now.  I just got one, and have used it about a dozen times so far.  Below is my first impression write up.  Now that I've had it for a while I like it even more.  Typical Thermoworks quality.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1186357/thermaq-review/p1
    Phoenix