Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

California Eggers?

Options
Im about to relocate from Texas to California for a 2 year assignment and I was wondering whether or not I should bring my Egg. I'm afraid of an earthquake taking out my Egg. Are there any California Eggers out there who can provide advice?

Comments

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Earthquake taking out your egg? I'm more worried about my home catching fire from a gas leak due to an earthquake. Bring it!!!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Pat20001 said:
    Im about to relocate from Texas to California for a 2 year assignment and I was wondering whether or not I should bring my Egg. I'm afraid of an earthquake taking out my Egg. Are there any California Eggers out there who can provide advice?
    I wouldn't worry about the earthquakes. I'd worry about these guys. 
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm

Just kidding. I would however, check the housing covenants where you're locating. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • sparky1
    Options
    Don't worry about earthquakes.  Lol.  What part of Cali are you going too?. 
  • Pat20001
    Options
  • sparky1
    Options
    Down south.  Get a surfboard.  Good surf there.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    is this even something to worry about  :)  just be prepared for the big one and make sure you have frozen food for the egg.  37 years in Los Angeles we feel quakes all the time your eggs will be fine 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Pat20001 said:
    Been here all my life. Long time. Never given it a thought, and never will. You have a better chance of being taken out by a hurricane or tornado living in the mid-west and or east coast.

By the way, If you don't know already, Torrance is awesome .. the Southbay has the best beaches and restaurants. There's a small restaurant located there that serves the best Mexican/Chinese food, it's called ... get ready, 'Pancho & Wongs' check it out!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,787
    Options
    Welcome Home
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Oh yeah, forgot one thing, get ready for year round egging. Imagine if you can - 75 degree weather in DECEMBER!!!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • McStew
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Pat20001 said:
    Been here all my life. Long time. Never given it a thought, and never will. You have a better chance of being taken out by a hurricane or tornado living in the mid-west and or east coast.

By the way, If you don't know already, Torrance is awesome .. the Southbay has the best beaches and restaurants. There's a small restaurant located there that serves the best Mexican/Chinese food, it's called ... get ready, 'Pancho & Wongs' check it out!

hahahahah I have driven by Panchos and Wongs numerous times and have never stopped in..... now I will! Thanks Tim 

@Pat20001 now you can have In N Out anytime you want 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I'm not that far from Torrance, but I never go that way unless I absolutely have to and that's because there are NO freeways near that city. Everything is all streets and the traffic can be horrible. Instead I go towards Lakewood or Cerritos.

Let us know when you get here, I got a couple places to eat that I can guide you to.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Like, it'll be TOTALLY AWESOME, DUDE!!!  If yer in, like, "the BIG one", you got much bigger problems and stuff, you know?  Enjoy the killer weather, tasty bud and, like, fine waves.
    Options
    Really?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• nolaegghead
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Really?

Options
    Who dat making fun of Cali? C'mon brah. Swamp or beach?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ajACU-lsnFc
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Pat20001 said:
    If you're worried about Quakes, move to NorCal instead of SoCal, we don't shake anywhere near as often as they do.
    And it's been over a 100 years since our last volcano spewed.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• stemc33
    Options
    @Pat20001, you haven't lived until you've been in a high-rise building when the shaker hits. The building sways a bit afterwards. I always slept through the quakes or was too hyper to feel them when I was a kid. Finally got to feel one as an adult.  Sitting quietly in a desk on the 14th floor of the building was quite the experience. Fun stuff.  
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Steve753
    Options
    I've been living in San Diego for over 18 years and have an Egg. Don't worry about having one in Torrance.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • jollygreenegg
    Options
    I live in the Bay Area right on the Hayward fault.  I also was downtown San Francisco during the '89 quake (the ground rippled like water).  I'd be more worried about getting shot in LA.
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • coooltroy
    Options
    Bring it, you'll not have to worry about Earthquakes. 
  • UncleFred
    Options
    Pat20001 said:

Pat20001 said:
    Torrance,CA
    I'd be MUCH more worried about someone stealing my egg in Torrance...or someone trying to shut you down for too much smoke.  Remember, you're coming to one of the most wacky, liberal states in the union, where the mayor just declared LA to be "the northernmost capital of Latin America", and the Governor is spending 12 Billion dollars to build a "Crazy Train" that NOBODY wants, but sez there is no money available for water projects without new taxes....   The culture shock for a Texan will be profound... hold out for hardship pay.

"The Big One" is way down the list, and if it DOES hit while you're here, well you'll have a lot more to worry about than an $800 BGE.

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • nolaegghead
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @UnkulFreeeed
    UncleFred said:
    Pat20001 said:

Pat20001 said:
    Torrance,CA
    I'd be MUCH more worried about someone stealing my egg in Torrance...or someone trying to shut you down for too much smoke.  Remember, you're coming to one of the most wacky, liberal states in the union, where the mayor just declared LA to be "the northernmost capital of Latin America", and the Governor is spending 12 Billion dollars to build a "Crazy Train" that NOBODY wants, but sez there is no money available for water projects without new taxes....   The culture shock for a Texan will be profound... hold out for hardship pay.

"The Big One" is way down the list, and if it DOES hit while you're here, well you'll have a lot more to worry about than an $800 BGE.

I was like, huh?   So I, like looked up that stuff, 'cause I'm dum.

I think you're, like, referring to

"The organizers behind the Los Angeles bid for the 2024 Olympics released a video Monday promoting the city as the "western capital of the U.S., the northern capital of Latin America and the eastern capital of the Pacific Rim." The promotional video pushes Los Angeles as a hub of diverse, motivated people.

The video, running a bit longer than one minute, features sweeping views of Los Angeles, images of iconic landmarks and shots of people enjoying the city. The ad is silent, except for Arcade Fire's "Wake Up" playing throughout the entire minute, but has a steady stream of text describing its vision of L.A. While claiming the city as integral to the western United States, Latin America and the Pacific Rim, the text reads that Los Angeles is "a city made of 100 nations." The city, which hosted the Olympics in 1932 and 1984, is home to "18 million hard-dreaming people,” the text reads. "

And, like, the rail thing wasn't the governor...it was an idea from the Arnold Gov era, like, not that the Terminator wanted it, but, like, 6,680,485 votes of NOBODY did according to the results from prop 1A.

Proposition 1A[3]
    Choice Votes  %
    Referendum passed Yes 6,680,485 52.62
    No 6,015,944 47.38
    Valid votes 12,696,429 92.38
    Invalid or blank votes 1,046,748 7.62
    Total votes 13,743,177 100.00

So, like water and stuff.  I think if the price of getting water goes up, like, they should raise the price of water.  Period.  CRAZY TRAIN AIEEEEE!!!!
    Options
    Leave your guns and any mags over 10 round capacity... Ca. Would love to grab them! 
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Welcome to California, we're up in Santa Clara...some 9 hours away.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• McStew
    Options
    @Pat20001 oh yah don't forget to bring a 2 year supply of rockwood with you ... You will thank me later for that idea 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • stemc33
    Options
    McStew said:
    @Pat20001 oh yah don't forget to bring a 2 year supply of rockwood with you ... You will thank me later for that idea 
    +1

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • UncleFred
    Options
    @UnkulFreeeed

Mea culpa for my usage of hyperbole...

If ya took the time to look for facts on the internet, then... 

I profusely apologize for any angst my screed may have caused you. In the future I will try to remember to include a smiley face at the end.

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,787
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Oh yeah, forgot one thing, get ready for year round egging. Imagine if you can - 75 degree weather in DECEMBER!!!
    Shorts and Flip[ Flops year round for me
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • McStew
    Options
    Well tonight we were just issued a tsunami warning so you will have fun once you move. No egg tonigh just drinking and heard the warning so time to drink more.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    UncleFred said:
    @UnkulFreeeed

Mea culpa for my usage of hyperbole...

If ya took the time to look for facts on the internet, then... 

I profusely apologize for any angst my screed may have caused you. In the future I will try to remember to include a smiley face at the end.

@UnkulFreeed - apology accepted.  Hyperbole needs to be hyperbolic, not dishonestly believable.