Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I hope I don't screw this up

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
Last minute change of menu. I live in Podunk America - sometimes the groceries are not great. I was planning on chicken breasts but I didn't like the way they looked. Hmmm, bottom round roast is on sale. So I pick up a 2 1/2 lb roast, some taters, onions, carrots and mushrooms.
My plan is to smoke the roast @275-300 for about 3 hours (indirect.) Then I will move it to a covered stoneware dish. I'll add the veggies, seasonings, a bit of beef broth and wine. I hope to braise it for 1.5 hours or so and hope it's done by then.
Do I have a chance?
Pics of success or disaster to follow. I'll be marinating in cheap red house wine until the outcome is clear.
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• SciAggie
    Options
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Gonna be kinda tough, I think.  The braising may soften it up though. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Gonna be kinda tough, I think.  The braising may soften it up though. 
    Yes, we'll see. I'll cook until it's done though. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    I'm guessing treat it like a chuck roast cook and that should work.  The key to getting a chuckle to respond is to take it to around 210*F-FWIW-your basic plan sounds solid.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Covering now. I hope to speed it along. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Looks good...
    Watching this.  ;)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Veggies added. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Nothing to do now except let it ride until it's tender. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Still waiting... 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Make sure you post on the final product. :)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Temps are going up! Things are going well. I told SWMBO, have a beer - chill for 30 minutes...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • sancho65
    Options
    @SciAggie Lookimg good so far! Nice cookware.
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Aggies won! So life is good...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    That looks to be on the way to awesome. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Jeremiah nothing a little time and wine won't fix. It's getting close and smelling great. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Winning! SWMBO was pleased. The roast was tender and the smell was was amazing. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • BIll-W221
    Options
  • SciAggie
    Options
    This took about an hour longer than I first anticipated. No worries - the wife was shopping. We just waited for the finish. I received praise from the wife - life is good. 
    I'll definitely do this again with better planning. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Good job on that one. That Earthenware looks nice. I'm jealous. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Well done.  I'd hit that.  And go Aggies.  I have a daughter that is a junior there.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Terrebandit
    Options
    Looks good!

Dave - Austin, TX
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    Looks excellent!
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Looks good to me. Nice audible on the cook. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.