Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Burnt Ends (pics)

Options
2»

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Hotch said:

This is first on my list once we get back from Porkopolis this weekend.

Scottie I may have to give you a call, if you don't mind.

Are you cooking at Porkopolis?  The wife and I will be in attendance this weekend as well.  I'll try to find and introduce myself to as many as possible.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Hotch said:

This is first on my list once we get back from Porkopolis this weekend.

Scottie I may have to give you a call, if you don't mind.

Are you cooking at Porkopolis?  The wife and I will be in attendance this weekend as well.  I'll try to find and introduce myself to as many as possible.
     No we are flying in Friday morning. We want to check it out to possibly drive up and cook next year. Just look for the guy with a Longhorn cap. I  wouldn't think there would be than one or two of us there.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    Those look incredible, I can't wait to try these. They are at the top of my list. 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    There are websites about anything these days.  When researching country style ribs, I found this site; "Country Style Ribs".  This guy loves his country style ribs.  So, I wanted to be sure I'm picking up the correct cut, which type do you like?  If I can find the "pork steaks" cut, I think I'll get those, which are sliced pork butt.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    500 said: There are websites about anything these days.  When researching country style ribs, I found this site; "Country Style Ribs".  This guy loves his country style ribs.  So, I wanted to be sure I'm picking up the correct cut, which type do you like?  If I can find the "pork steaks" cut, I think I'll get those, which are sliced pork butt.
    I am pretty sure that is what you want- the kind that are from the shoulder.  The loin style would be too lean.  

@Dyal_SC - did you cube these up before you started or did you cook them for a while still in "strips"?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,072
    Options
    @500 , the ones sliced from the butt are what you want.  @SmokeyPitt , I cooked them intact until they hit 170ish.  Then I took them off, let them rest for about 30 min, and then cut them to shape.  Threw them back on to finish up after that.  
  • Laxin16
    Laxin16 Posts: 62
    Options
    Dude, that looks awesome! I need to try this ASAP. 

Great use of the boneless pork ribs over the traditional brisket. I refuse to pay over $7 a pound for brisket to make burnt ends.

Laxin 
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    SGH said:
    minniemoh said:
    Great looking cook @Dyal_SC ! I was looking for the @SGH info a while back but couldn't find it. I need to give these a go!
    I'm glad that everyone enjoys the pork burnt ends. I have been wanting and meaning to do a how to post since I shared the method quite sometime back. However due to work it hasn't panned out. May try it this weekend if it's nice weather. 
    Please do, i would love to make these while my brisket is resting in the cooler. :)
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I'm doing PBEs this Saturday, for the first time, and for a 3 family get together.  Mrs. 500, says, "Wha?  Not pulled pork?"  I sez, "No, like pulled pork, but yummier."  She's skeptical, and sez "Why make it more complicated?" and I sez, "Because it will be yummier, like porky nuggets of goodness."
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    My son calls these "Meat Candy" and has requested that I cook them for his belated birthday dinner.  It's an awesome cook.  Worth the effort!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • scgirlinoh
    scgirlinoh Posts: 10
    Options
    Me, too...please post...would love to give these a try. They look amazing.
  • ChristinaSunshine
    Options
    evenin' all - anyone ever use this method / recipe (jeff's, I think it is) on a brisket?  and how did that turn out for you?  i did this one monday pm and these little bites are like candy - i didnt even feel like i was eating real food!  they were AWESOME (so was the mac and cheese and jalapeno cream corn i served with it)
  • Dyal_SC
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @ChristinaSunshine , absolutely. The pork burnt ends idea derived from brisket burnt ends.  :)  If you've never made them, definitely give them a go.  It's made out of the brisket point.  My favorite part of a whole packer brisket.  
  • rossv1
    rossv1 Posts: 114
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This conveniently popped up right as I'm about to stick a butt on. Just gotta remember this so I can do it tomorrow.

May be a dumb question but is there a certain part of the butt I need to slice to make the burnt ends or do I just slice off a chunk and cube it? I know you use the point when doing them from a brisket but what about this? 
    22 in Macon, GA - Large BGE 2015
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,735
    Options
    Awesome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    rossv1 said:
    This conveniently popped up right as I'm about to stick a butt on. Just gotta remember this so I can do it tomorrow.

May be a dumb question but is there a certain part of the butt I need to slice to make the burnt ends or do I just slice off a chunk and cube it? I know you use the point when doing them from a brisket but what about this? 
    Any part of the butt, sir.  
  • dukecush
    dukecush Posts: 11
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thread revival:
     I am cooking for a large party tomorrow so I am smoking some pork butts for pulled pork and burned ends and will cook up some baby backs tomorrow after I pull the butts. I will be cooking on a large with the AR combo and a mm. I am just trying to figure out the timing for making burned ends. Based on the posts by @SGH it looks like you pull them at 160-170 and then cut em up. Does anyone know about how long it take to get to that temp? 
    Large bge, Pennington, NJ
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Wonderful just wonderful!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,522
    Options
    @dukecush - first up, welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    You may want to trade the pork butt burnt ends for pork belly burnt ends.  Much easier and pack a great flavor and texture profile.
    Here's a link to a recipe that lends itself to the BGE:
    http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/  Wherever you land, enjoy the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I just made pork burnt ends last week for my sons birthday.  Used country style pork ribs.  They got to 160 in about 90 minutes @ 265.  Cubed then into aluminum tray with bbq sauce and a batch of APL Melting Garlic Sauce.  Smoked at 265 for another 2hrs. till 195-200 IT.  They were awesome!!
    Hope this helps.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    Is this something one could try with pork belly?

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,522
    Options
    @55Kevy-
    At the risk of the obvious,  give this post a look (two above yours on this thread)
    "You may want to trade the pork butt burnt ends for pork belly burnt ends.  Much easier and pack a great flavor and texture profile.
    Here's a link to a recipe that lends itself to the BGE:
    http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/  Wherever you land, enjoy the cook and eats."  
    May help answer your ?

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.