Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Blackstone 36" Griddle is LEGIT

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    @AlbertaEgger  Tremendous post, and grub!

Kid's off to school and enjoyed her banana pancakes.  Now it's Dad's turn...

Phoenix 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    SoCalWJS said:
    cazzy said:
    Took a break from the blackstone due to travel and laziness.  Love this griddle yall!

Looks fantastic!

I have a question if you could answer I'd appreciate it. What do you put in the roller tray gadget? I got one of them and loaded it up with butter - 3 sticks and it still doesn't make it to the bottom of the roller. Do you use something else? An additive? I'm a bit ticked off at the thing at the moment.

I just put clarified butter in it.  The bottom of the roller is definitely higher than I thought it would be.  I folded some foil a few times for displacement and that allowed me to use less butter.

I love it...very easy to butter bread.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Man, I have been avoiding this thread, because I really want one, but also want a home theater projector.  I seen one of these at Lower's this weekend and it made it even harder, and now I see all these photos I am going nuts.  BB&B with a 20% off is a great deal though.  I think SWMBO would like all the stir fry, grilled cheese and anything bacon would be a hit.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I've been gone camping so much in the RV I haven't fired mine up in a couple weeks. I need to get after it!  I will be frying a package of bacon tonight to prep a bacon explosion for my week long trip we are leaving on tomorrow!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Man, I have been avoiding this thread, because I really want one, but also want a home theater projector.  I seen one of these at Lower's this weekend and it made it even harder, and now I see all these photos I am going nuts.  BB&B with a 20% off is a great deal though.  I think SWMBO would like all the stir fry, grilled cheese and anything bacon would be a hit.
    Lowes honored my BB&B 20% off coupon so I didn't have to order it. 

I love mine. I've tried Philly Cheesesteak's a couple times and can't find the right meat, but damn they taste good "desconstructed" as a meat salad topped with cheese!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    I keep mine covered with the Blackstone cover in the garage. When I go to use it, it has a very small amount of dust on it, but I don't clean it off. I just heat it up and go!

As for cleaning it, the only thing I do is use the spatula to make sure I get all the hard stuff off while it's hot. When it cools down, I wipe it down and then spread some oil over it, then cover it. Very rarely do I use water because most of the stuff just comes off with the spatula.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    tamu2009 said:

I love mine. I've tried Philly Cheesesteak's a couple times and can't find the right meat, but damn they taste good "desconstructed" as a meat salad topped with cheese!
    You could try this.

What meat is used in a Philly cheese steak?
    1. Philly cheesesteak sandwich. 1- Slice the rib-eye steak as thinly as possible. Most Asian markets will sell very thin pre-sliced rib eye for use in Korean BBQ. If you do not have an Asian store nearby, partially freeze the beef.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    I've been gone camping so much in the RV I haven't fired mine up in a couple weeks. I need to get after it!  I will be frying a package of bacon tonight to prep a bacon explosion for my week long trip we are leaving on tomorrow!

Why didnt you take it with you? I packed mine when we went a few weeks ago, along with the MM. Used it twice a day. But we dont ever cook inside the camper. Never have.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    tamu2009 said:

You could try this.

What meat is used in a Philly cheese steak?
    1. Philly cheesesteak sandwich. 1- Slice the rib-eye steak as thinly as possible. Most Asian markets will sell very thin pre-sliced rib eye for use in Korean BBQ. If you do not have an Asian store nearby, partially freeze the beef.
    Thin sliced ribeye is the way to go.  I have done this using the partial freeze method and it works well.  You can also see if they will slice it thin on the slicer for you but I think they are often hesitant to do this.  I suspect they typically use the slicers only for deli meat so if they use raw beef they have to clean it.  

That is a good tip on the Asian market- might be another way to go.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    I've been using steak ez (suggested on this forum). Picked it up at SAMs. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

@chrisc133 That is what I have used. Still have about 8lbs left.

I must say not much flavor in them so I have to amp it up with rub and other goodies. And you really need to watch them. Can over cook in a second.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267

Mom is traveling, and daughter wanted grilled ham and cheese and hash browns for dinner, so how could Dad say no? Diner night at our house.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Has anyone here converted it to natural gas. I have read a post on the blackstone Facebook page, and the company doesn't support it because they haven't tested it but know consumers have converted them. Just curious if anyone here has done it and how complex it is. Probably will jump off if I can convert natural gas.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I'm ready to see what this thing is about!  I did manage to drag it into the house last night.  Hopefully I can get it put together this weekend and season it.  Off to see how to season this thing well now.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I'm ready to see what this thing is about!  I did manage to drag it into the house last night.  Hopefully I can get it put together this weekend and season it.  Off to see how to season this thing well now.  

Ata boy, you will enjoy it.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • I bought a camp chef today. Needed something for the RV that I have been spending all my time in!! I swear I'm 10 times better with my old cast iron skillet as a result of spending so much time cooking on the blackstone.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Which Camp Chef did you get?
    Any accessories come with it or just the stove?
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Would love to have a Blackstone griddle, but need something a little more portable to take on outdoor outings, so searched around and found this Camp Chef 3 burner model that also includes the 16" X 24" flat top accessory at Home Depot for $219.00 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Camp-Chef-Expedition-3X-3-Burner-Propane-Gas-Stove-TB90LWG/205331042 It had good reviews and seems to be built like a tank. Thought that was a good price since the flat top alone sells for $100 or more, depending on where you look. Anyone else have this model. Would love opinions.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • JohnH12 said:
    Which Camp Chef did you get?
    Any accessories come with it or just the stove?
    I got the Expedetion that comes with a griddle that covers 2/3 burners. I think the griddle is 16"x24" and it will leave me with an open eye which will be very useful while camping. 
  • r8rs4lf
    I just bought the blackstone tailgater for camping. Can't be taking the griddle camping anymore. Too bulky. 

http://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-1555-Tailgater-Grill-Griddle/dp/B00JGOO6YW

• r8rs4lf
    Can anyone tell me how they seasoned their griddle? I remember reading something about onions. Yellow, green, etc? Just got my Blackstone Tailgater and was going to season it tomorrow. With my 36" griddle, I just started cooking with it.
  • cazzy
    FYI...I have been having problems with my regulator.  I contacted Blackstone and they are sending me one that isn't as controlled as the stock one that came with it.  They said the government over regulated it, so they have seen some problems.

Basically, even with a new bottle, I was barely getting any flames, which prevented it from properly heating up the griddle.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    cazzy said:
    FYI...I have been having problems with my regulator.  I contacted Blackstone and they are sending me one that isn't as controlled as the stock one that came with it.  They said the government over regulated it, so they have seen some problems.

Basically, even with a new bottle, I was barely getting any flames, which prevented it from properly heating up the griddle.
    Gov'ment controls....
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy said:

The regulator they send sucks. I have had to treat it like an old school nintendo game a few times. I may hit them up for a different one.

• r8rs4lf said:
    Can anyone tell me how they seasoned their griddle? I remember reading something about onions. Yellow, green, etc? Just got my Blackstone Tailgater and was going to season it tomorrow. With my 36" griddle, I just started cooking with it.
    I have a long diatribe on seasoning it on the first page of the thread. Use green onions instead of yellow onions when you get to that part.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    r8rs4lf said:
    @r8rs4lf - it looks like the smaller griddle might fit in your oven.  Just my $.02 but I think I would use the oven and season like a cast iron skillet.   This method seems to be popular:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5820-the-ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron

If you can't find flax seed oil I think melted vegetable shortening works well. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Question about the regulator problem.
    What does the bad one do or not do and when did you buy the Blackstone?
    I ask because I just got one and haven't had a chance to really work with it. I'm wondering if the problem is with new or old regulators.
  • cazzy
    cazzy said:

The regulator they send sucks. I have had to treat it like an old school nintendo game a few times. I may hit them up for a different one.

Every damn time!  Everyone had different tricks to get games to work...$hit was funny. I remember turning mine upside down with the cord wrapped around it. This brougt back a lot of great memories with my brother.
  • cazzy

JohnH12 said:
    Question about the regulator problem.
    What does the bad one do or not do and when did you buy the Blackstone?
    I ask because I just got one and haven't had a chance to really work with it. I'm wondering if the problem is with new or old regulators.
    As posted above, even with a full tank, not enough propane was making it to the burners so it would never get hot.  I also noticed that the lil pressure hole on the regulator was hissing a lot more.  Seemed to be wasting a lot of propane.
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    edited September 2015
    @cazzy
    "Wasting a lot of propane"....hmmm......I don't have the heat issue, but wasting propane I seem to have.   Either that or 6 hours of flame is supposed to equal 20lbs of propane.
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight