Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork butt boneless or bone in

jemrx
jemrx Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning to do my first butt overnight following Elder Wards recipe. Are there any differences in the taste etc using bone in vs boneless. Are cooking times generally less for boneless to plateau at 200.

Comments

• NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    Bone in unless you want to look like one of those TV cooks.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I always use a bone in. Also, if you are doing the Elder Ward method, bump the dome temp to 250. -RP
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    For low n' slow, bone-ins are better. Since they are whole, they have less surface exposure to bacteria. With a boneless, you're taking some of that exterior surface, and rolling it back into the center of the hunk of meat, where it will sit for several hours at low temps that bugs love.

I've used boneless butts for a few different things (jerk pork is a favorite), but not low'n'slows.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Jack. I'd vote for bone-in if you have the choice. Bone-in butts make a nice tight unit that cooks beautifully and evenly. The boneless butts are pretty much laid wide open to get the bone out, and they can cook quite unevenly unless tied up tight.

Cooking times are similar.
    Have fun!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    My thoughts exactly on the food safety issue, I buy boneless ones when I'm making sausage. -RP
  • phar71
    phar71 Posts: 44
    I try to go bone in on any cut of meat. Always love the meat closest to the bone!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i cant tell the difference and usually buy boneless. the market thats near me repackages bone in with the solution added, ill take a fresh boneless one from the butcher over that any day. if your packing alot of meat in an egg the boneless fits better as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    yep, get a red pen and write 250 dome temp in the cooking section, your life will be easier, and if you get a boneless one, start even a little higher like 275
    fukahwee maine

• bone in for me. The meat by the bone is the best part!
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Fishlessman,
    Is your recommended higher temp (275*) due to the previously mentioned higher chance for bacteria?
    (Less time in the "danger zone")?

I've only done boneless butt's, didn't know so many folks preferred bone-in, or why...guess you and I are in the minority?
  • fishlessman
    i started cooking them hotter because of that reason and found it didnt make a difference in the finished product. i really dont think its much of a safety concern in a smoke environment and salty rub on it. i figure since it didnt hurt the cook, why change what im doing, i start these at 275/300, at 140 drop down to around 220 until about 180 internal, then crank it back up to 300 to finish. when i started doing this way back the forum elders here didnt fully understand the 4 hour rule and there was some bad advice going on, they were telling everyone that the meat had to get to 140 in 4 hours, well i can tell you it is impossible to do at regular smoking temps with a big butt :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Reviving an old post here.
    Ive always done bone in butts from the butcher at $3.99/lb.

Cooking for a big group this weekend and decided to go with a cheaper butt from Costco at $1.79 lb. BONELESS.

Then came across this 40-140 in 4 hours thing.
    I understand it I guess, but if you're taking your meat to 200-205 degrees IT, how the hell is any bacteria gonna be around at that point?

and how do the boneless butts really hold up? I don't want it to turn to mashed potatoes half way through.

Thanks for any insight.
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • fishlessman
    you can mostly toss the 40/140 rule out the window after salting it down with a rub and putting smoke to it. either tie it up or tuck the loose ends under it during the cook
    fukahwee maine

• Thank you fishlessman said:
    you can mostly toss the 40/140 rule out the window after salting it down with a rub and putting smoke to it. either tie it up or tuck the loose ends under it during the cook
    10-4 that's what I was thinking.

Many thanks
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • The bacteria aren't the problem, per se. It's their toxic waste by product that makes you sick...

you can kill the bacteria at higher temps, but the waste still remains. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• The bacteria aren't the problem, per se. It's their toxic waste by product that makes you sick...

So taking the meat from 40 IT to 140 IT kills the toxic waste?

Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2015
    Reviving an old post here.
    Ive always done bone in butts from the butcher at $3.99/lb.

Cooking for a big group this weekend and decided to go with a cheaper butt from Costco at $1.79 lb. BONELESS.

Then came across this 40-140 in 4 hours thing.
    I understand it I guess, but if you're taking your meat to 200-205 degrees IT, how the hell is any bacteria gonna be around at that point?

and how do the boneless butts really hold up? I don't want it to turn to mashed potatoes half way through.

Thanks for any insight.
    I think there was some misunderstanding about the 40-140 rule, as fishlessman pointed out in his post from 2010. 

My understanding is that the "danger zone" is based on the environment/ambient temp.  In other words the temp of the refrigerator, room temp, or the cooker.  So, if you take the butt out of the fridge and set it on the counter it is in the danger zone.  Once you put it in a cooker above 140 it is out of the danger zone.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ahh...i like this interpretation much better.
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • fishlessman
    The bacteria aren't the problem, per se. It's their toxic waste by product that makes you sick...

So taking the meat from 40 IT to 140 IT kills the toxic waste?

it doesnt kill the toxic waste, you want to limit the waiste being built up, the 40/140 for 4 is to limit exposure of those temps the meat sits in to 4 hours max. think of it as the time accumulated in the shopping cart, in the car, on the counter, out of the fridge again, no more than 4 hours (i believe they actually changed this to 2 hours in resteraunts) but 4 seems to work just fine
    fukahwee maine

• OK.  this makes sense too.

That shouldn't be a problem.
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • If you can find a boneless boston butt, use the whole chunk to make pork "burnt ends".....  Meat Candy!!!!  Use the "Search" function and you will find some great discussions on it from a few months back.....

I use bone-in if I am making pulled pork.  I like pecan for my smoke; but I've also used some orange lately and its a little milder (kids like it).  I use Peanut Oil/EVOO to help the rubs stay on and I have been injecting the meat with a mix of apple juice and whatever rub I used to give it a little more juicy flavor and moisture.  I let it run nekkid till 201/202 then pull it off the egg.  I'll inject it again with the juice/rub mix, wrap in foil and towels to let it rest for a few hours.

My dad grew up in N. Carolina - he loves some pulled pork BBQ.  Last time I did it this way, he went back for a 4th plate!  That's all I need to know it was good!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!