Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time doing a brisket - advice?

Options
Ok - I am doing a brisket for the 1st time this weekend.  Seems pretty difficult.  Need it ready by 1:30pm on sunday.  Going to Costco to get one on Saturday.  suggestions on prep and cook?  I have rockwood lump

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Get a packer if you can. Get best grade you can find. Trim off hard fat and cap to 1/4". Simple seasoning.  Cook to 190 ish and start probing thickest part of the flat. When it's like butter, you're good. Relax and have fun!

others will have more detailed advice, but that's the cliffs notes. 
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Read some posts / articles about the stall.  Be prepared for the stall.  Even when you know it is coming, there is something disconcerting the first time you seek the temp lock (or drop) for hours in the middle of a cook.  
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    cook time overall? what rub?  I guess I need to watch a youtube video of cutting the fat, etc for a brisket
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    If you haven't already, read some of the (many) forum posts on brisket.  Franklin's youtube series is also helpful, as are some of the posts on Amazing Ribs
    Cook time will depend on how large the cut is.  If you are getting a full packer and want to be done by 1:30pm, you will be cooking overnight.  Also depends whether you wrap the brisket and reduce the stall time (search for "texas crutch" or see this Franklin video, which generated a long forum discussion).  

Options
    so that means if I get a12 brisket from Costco -  it will take 12 hours at 250 degrees?  Plus I need to give it 1 hour to rest?  Still don't understand when to foil, etc
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Someone give this man some advice. 

@cazzy @sgh @centexsmoker
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    If it has to be ready by 1:30pm, this is going to be an overnight cook.  First thing you're going to need is a stiff drink and some patience.  I'd put the brisket (if around 12lbs) on early evening on Saturday, say 7.  You can always FTC(foil, towel, cooler) until ready to serve at 1:30.  Last thing you want is the brisket to not be done by then.

You're in for a treat.  Your yard is about to smell absolutely heavenly.  You'll get to sit back with a drink and enjoy that for the next 12-15 hours.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Some people go naked, some wrap in butcher paper and some in aluminum foil.  If wrapping around 165 is good.  The prime packer that I cooked was done at 190 in the point and the probe went in the flat and point like butter.  
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • VooDuuChild
    Options
    There are tons of good videos on youtube with pointers too.  I'm more of a visual person sometimes.  Basically, you're lookin to put it on @ 225, start probing in the thick end at 190 for the "buttah" feeling, pull when you feel buttah, not at a temperature, pull, foil, towel, cooler, back out after "a while".  Open lid as little as possible.  You will also want to look on youtube and see how people are setting up their unlit coals as opposed to the ones they're lighting and putting in, or where they're using their type of starter...can make all the difference.....OH....START WITH A CLEAN GRILL and all ash removed.  helps a lot on these longer cooks.  Our last one took 18 hours....so be ready for the possible long haul.  If it's not looking to be done on time, you can foil it and return it to the grill at a higher temp to finish....

1) XLBGE                  1) PK's Pro 100 pound capacity commercial grade electric smoker
    2) Chief smokers        1) Brinkmann...first smoker...gave to a buddy after years of great service.
    1) Char Broil Gas grill  1) Square Char Broil coal grill   1) Round XL Weber round coal grill
    1) Rotisserie for the Weber grill (AWESOME).....I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I want...I can.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Late to this party but what follows is a collection of most of the above.  Also check out the search function above for several links on the topic.  You can use google and add "egghead forum" to your query and you will be overwhelmed with info as well.

What follows are some good links for brisket info:  probably more than you will ever need- Aaron Franklin video series-first one is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU  Then some good reading:  http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html; http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html      

and http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php    Several run at around 260-280*F on the calibrated dome thermo and figure about 1.2 hours /lb.  But aim to finish early as you don't want to be stressing trying to push the cook across the finish-line.  Each will cook at its own pace.  You can easily hold for around 6 hours in a cooler.

Key finish indicator is when you can probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance.  Start checking at around 190*F but it could run into the low 200's.  Also don't worry that the point runs hotter than the flat.  The higher fat content protects it just fine. I cook with the point toward the BGE hinge as that is the hottest cooking area (due to air flow characteristics). It will likely be 5-10 *F (or more) hotter than the flat when you arrive at the promised land but don't worry about it.  And I'm in the slice and eat the point-not the burnt ends crowd.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blakeas
    Options
    ok - I have a maverick temp probe that I can just leave in.  Those videos say not to open the lid at all
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thank God I got here in time!!! Save your money (and your taste buds). Buy a pork butt!!! :rofl: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blakeas
    Options

ok, after going through all those videos - I am going to try the franklin method (with injecting) with wrapping with butcher paper.  seems straightforward except when to wrap.  I know I am going to have a stall so do I wrap right after that?  does the stall happen at 150 and then I wrap shorthly thereafter at 165 and then put back on grill and pull when it gets to 203?

then wood and lump placement?  seems like from the videos and what I read that I need 1/2 oak wood with half lump?  1st off, when I light the charcoal - after an hour lit do I mix it all up or do I just leave it?  and secondly - will this last for a 12 hour cook?  I have a LBGE

I have cooked a bunch of things on the green egg but haven't tried the brisket - so I just wanted to try!

• rosem
    rosem Posts: 48
    Options
    I would skip the injection if it's your first time. 

Wrap if the color starts to look too dark. I usually don't wrap at all though. 

I usually get a prime brisket. If you can get that high grade of meat, be sure to start checking the temp very early. I can finish a prime brisket in 5-6 hours at 300F dome temp. They don't stall either.

Mix in about 3-4 large chunks of wood, 1/2 is too much. Just fill it to the fire ring and light it in the center. Let it get up to temp and start burning clean.

Anything else?
  • jimithing
    Options
    I agree with the skipping of the injection suggestion.  And IMO there are two reasons to wrap.  First is color.  If it's getting too dark for you then wrap it.  Second is time.  If you need to speed up the cook then wrap it.  If neither of those are a concern then you don't need to wrap.  If you don't wrap then make sure you spritz it to keep it somewhat moist.

The other thing I'd say is that brisket can hold for a really long time.  It's better to be done a few hours early than a few hours late.  I believe Franklin takes his off at 6am or something and holds them until lunch time.  So if I was you I'd aim for it to be done at 9ish.  Then wrap it in butcher paper and put it in a cooler to hold.  I usually put a towel on top of it inside the cooler to help fill some of the empty air space inside the cooler.  Don't slice it until you're ready to serve.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • blakeas
    edited September 2015
    Options

wow!  that quick?  I was thinking of starting the night before (Saturday) around 6.  taking an hour or so to get the temp stable (250 I heard is the magic number).  putting the brisket on at 7.  twelve hours it will be 7am.  Then wrap it, put it in a cooler and slice it at 1:30.  Will my lump last that long?

Really I wanted to it be very very moist.  should I just put water in the drip pan?   if I mist, what do I use?

I have always injected my turkeys and they have come out fantastic - so I thought injection would really help with taste

Any suggestion of wood?  I have pecan and apple wood chunks right now

• rosem
    Options
    Pecan is good. That's what I use most of the time.

You should report back once you pick up the beef as a lot of what you'll need to do will depend on that. 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Inject if you like.  There isn't a right or wrong way.  My brisket was done at 190.  When the probe goes in like butter then it's done.  Not all briskets are done at the same temp.  :relaxed: 
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You don't have to inject, but feel free. The egg doesn't require a water pan due to it's own humidity abilities. One issue with water pans is that they act as a heat sink, so if they evaporate, the temp will ramp up. For wood, some do hickory or mesquite, but oak is the most popular. Pecan would work too.

Briskets can be weird almost as a rule. I've had an 11 lb packer go 16 ours at 250-260 and a 15 lb one go 8 hours at the same temp. Just make sure you can hear the temp alarm and set it for around 185 so you are prepared to start probing for "buttah" feel.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I assume you know for sure your Costco has full packer briskets? Some only have flats.. I've learned to cook a good brisket by keeping it simple: I'd start a 12lb'er at around 8-9pm. No water pan (many argue it doesn't do anything). Yes your lump will last. (fill up fresh lump up to middle/top of fire ring (the ceramic ring that sits on top of the ceramic fire bowl). Mix in 3-4 chunks of  wood. I haven't tried Pecan/apple on brisket, traditional wood is oak or hickory. Steady your egg at 250 for 1 hour. Put brisket on with 50/50 salt and pepper rub. I would skip injection but that's your call. At beginning of cook, lay a little tin foil under the edges of the flat to protect them- thin edges will cook the fastest and they might be hanging out over platesetter so tend to dry out. Foiling/wrapping @~160 should increase your chances of moist brisket.  I would skip misting but that's up to you. Start probing at 190. pull it off, wrap it in foil and then towels and then put it in the cooler. If your wanting to do burnt ends, that requires you research/plan a little more, but maybe do that next time. Keep it simple and keep to game plan and your results should be great. Best of luck! Have a drink and roll with it!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• MelSharples
    Options
    blakeas said:

seems like from the videos and what I read that I need 1/2 oak wood with half lump? 

You only need a few chunks of smoking wood strategically placed throughout the lump, definitely not 1/2 and 1/2.  Also, to insure that you have enough lump for a long cook, fill the egg up to the plate setter with your lump of choice.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • rosem
    Options
    Briskets can be weird almost as a rule. I've had an 11 lb packer go 16 ours at 250-260 and a 15 lb one go 8 hours at the same temp. Just make sure you can hear the temp alarm and set it for around 185 so you are prepared to start probing for "buttah" feel.
    I believe it has to do with the amount of marbling in the meat. The more I pay for a brisket the less time it takes to cook. That's why I suggested he goes to the store and gets the actual brisket he wants to cook. Once we see the size and quality we can get a better idea of what it's going to take to cook it correctly. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    blakeas said:

wow!  that quick?  I was thinking of starting the night before (Saturday) around 6.  taking an hour or so to get the temp stable (250 I heard is the magic number).  putting the brisket on at 7.  twelve hours it will be 7am.  Then wrap it, put it in a cooler and slice it at 1:30.  Will my lump last that long?

Really I wanted to it be very very moist.  should I just put water in the drip pan?   if I mist, what do I use?

I have always injected my turkeys and they have come out fantastic - so I thought injection would really help with taste

Any suggestion of wood?  I have pecan and apple wood chunks right now

Ok, here is my 2 cents.   You can smoke between. 225 and 300 depending on how much smoke you want in the meat and time you have.  I shot usually between 250-275.  At 250 the meat is not going to take much more smoke flavor.   I fill my XL to just below the bottom of the plate setter and put in about 3 to 4 fist size chunks of cherry.   It gives good flavor and helps with the smoke ring.  I don't inject, but I do tenderize with a jaquard after each layering of rub except for the last.  If you are going to wrap, you verb go by color or after it hits 150to 160.  I have found cooking at 275 or so it can be done in about an hour per pound.  When it hits 195 keep checking it about very 20 minutes that it probes like butter.   Make sure you let it rest for at least 30 minutes, more if you can.  Before you put any rub on, cut a little piece off the corner of the flat against the grain so you know where to start cutting.   Good luck and have fun. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • blakeas
    Options
    Hopefully get to go to the store today to get my packer.  will post a picture when I do.  thanks for all the help!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Someone give this man some advice. 

@centexsmoker
    Where did this guy go?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• blakeas
    Options
    Costco only has flats - Looks like I will be going to the butcher aka westside market here in Cleveland....  They have all fresh beef....  there are 30 beef stands in the market.  I am sure they are all USDA choice but what else should I look for in a packer?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Chose the best grade, floppiest, left sided packer you can find.  Bigger is better.  I wouldn't pay too much of a premium for prime if the have choice.
    Options
    You may also be able to find a full packer at Gordon Food Service. They show 3 locations in Cleveland area. You could call them ahead of time. Last resort: Walmart sometimes has full packers- I've had mixed results. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I just did a 4 lb corned beef brisket, unwrapped, at 225 - 243 and it took 12 hrs. Stall for me started around 144

LBGE in Northern VA
  • rosem
    Options
    blakeas said:
    Costco only has flats - Looks like I will be going to the butcher aka westside market here in Cleveland....  They have all fresh beef....  there are 30 beef stands in the market.  I am sure they are all USDA choice but what else should I look for in a packer?
    I look for thickness. You don't want the flat end to be too thin. Anything too thin I usually trim off to avoid burning.