Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Smokier than I expected

Options
i cooked some simple chicken breasts. Had an opened bag of rockwood. I had used part of it to smoke a pork butt but I had wood chunks mixed in it that time so didnt notice, but tonight I simply cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts and they were pretty smoky. At least smokier than I'm accustomed with Ozark Oak. I lit it and let it burn for probably half hour and temp stabilized at 400. I cooked 8 of them and it choked the temp down at first to around 300 so maybe that was the issue, but ive been using OO only for years and its definitely more neutral than what I experienced tonight. Just an observation I thought I would share. I still have 8 bags of OO so maybe stick with that for quick cooks and the RW for longer stuff when I want it smoky. 

Little Rock, AR

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    May have been how your fire was built. I noticed RW was a little more smokier than OO at the beginning but clears quickly. I think most lump will smoke if you close the dampers on a hot fire until it stabilizes again. My oily paper towel puts off more smoke and for a longer time than the RW.  
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    If anything I have found the opposite to be true. Rockwood is my go to no smoke wood. I bake biscuits with it. I found OO to be pretty neutral as well but the bread picked up some smoke where I don't have that with rockwood.

Do you think you may have had either wood or some grease left over from the butts? 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I am surprised by this. I have only used BGE lump prior to switching to Rockwood. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I've never had any smokiness with Rockwood. Typically I'm able to cook in five or so minutes. I'm only ever waiting on wood chunk smoke to get thin and blue now.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I've been using Rockwood for at least 6-7 years.  I have never noticed it any smokier than any other charcoal i've used.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Maybe mikee threw some RO in your bag. :smiley: 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I thought OO was smokier, but still good. Flare up from drippings?
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    Truth be told, I often wish Rockwood were smokier!! I've been thinking of trying other brands to see if I can get a "smokier" taste without adding chunks.

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I thought OO was smokier, but still good. Flare up from drippings?
    Maybe this? Were those brined, skinless, or skin-on breasts? Skin-on would give you more drippings I think, especially if cooking direct. I always use a drip pan with chicken now because I don't care for the taste of the vaporized drippings.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    I just used RW for the first time Saturday when I smoked a butt.  I commented to my buddy that the VOC smoke seemed to clear out much quicker than the BGE or Primo that had been given to me.  The only smoke I picked up were the couple of pieces of Apple that I had placed in there.  This surprises me as well.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I think you got Lit's bag by mistake. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I think you got Lit's bag by mistake. 
    No my dust burned neutral.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 everyone above.  The most neutral lump I've found and my go to.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • coooltroy
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    LOL!!! ;)
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    They were boneless skinless. I didnt have much leftover lump from previous cook so I dont think I had any residual drippings or wood. I did put about 10 breasts on the grid and the temp choked down a good bit at first. Maybe that was the problem. Ive used Ozark Oak for years. Never noticed this. I dont know. I was just curious as I always figured OO and RW were virtually interchangable. 

Little Rock, AR

• jimithing
    Options
    They were boneless skinless. I didnt have much leftover lump from previous cook so I dont think I had any residual drippings or wood. I did put about 10 breasts on the grid and the temp choked down a good bit at first. Maybe that was the problem. Ive used Ozark Oak for years. Never noticed this. I dont know. I was just curious as I always figured OO and RW were virtually interchangable. 
    I'm with you.  I used OO on my Weber and then used it on my egg.  I found some Rockwood at the Ceramic Grill Store up in Denton so I bought a bag to see what it was like.  What I've found is that it's a bit harder to light.  I got impatient with it the first couple of times and put food on the grill before the charcoal was really ready.  The places I lit with the mapp torch were ready but the fire didn't spread like I was used to with OO.  It resulted in a stronger smoke flavor than I was used to.  I presume it was because the unlit charcoal was igniting still.  Not bad tasting necessarily, just a bit stronger than I was used to with OO.

The last couple of times I used a smaller quantity of Rockwood and made sure it was good and lit before closing the top.  It was much more neutral.  I've only done this once.  I plan on doing it again very soon to make sure.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist - How are y'all doing brother? I ain't on much due to working night shift so I don't get to chat with everyone very much. Those boys doing ok? Tell them I said hello.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This thread is hilarious! I'll stick with my locally available RO. If I want smoke, I will add smoke wood. Otherwise, just bare naked RO. :rofl: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    This thread is hilarious! I'll stick with my locally available RO. If I want smoke, I will add smoke wood. Otherwise, just bare naked RO. :rofl: 
    RO? I think they are going to make us join Bieber north of the wall for not using strictly RW.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Nah. I really don't care what you cook with. Have at it. 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Maybe @stemc3 likes to blow smoke up mikee's butt.Stemc3 does have a crush on him. Unfortunately,  Mikee does not approve.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Maybe I'm wrong. @stemc3 will point it out. I like the wood flavoring of using the egg. To me that's the advantage of cooking with lump charcoal. It gives the food an additional flavor that can only be gotten with charcoal. Gas grills lack it. RO like most lump when burning correctly has a very slight taste. That's the reason why smoking wood is added. Once the lump is burning clean, it should not impart a major smoke taste.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Little Rock, AR

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Biggreenpharmacist - How are y'all doing brother? I ain't on much due to working night shift so I don't get to chat with everyone very much. Those boys doing ok? Tell them I said hello.  
    Doing great. Just started fall baseball. One first game 15-5. Jaden had two putouts at first and theew a guy out from edge of outfield to home plate. Pretty good for 7 yr old. Also 3-3 as leadoff hitter and scored all three times. All around good performance for first game. 

Little Rock, AR

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I think i caused the smoke by essentially snuffing out the fire. I had it at 400 for about 30 minutes, then filled the grid with big fat boneless skinless breasts. It choked down the airflow and temp dropped to bout 300. I let them smoke like that ten minutes then flipped them and opened bottom vent to hit 425. Im sure that was my problem. Im just way more familiar with OO maybe theres a learning curve with RW. 

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    So, to go off the rails, is that travel ball, or do you guys have a fall rec league?  Our rec league bites and its spring only. Starting yr 4 of travel with my 9yr old. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    We started oit trying to get together a travel ball team but we decided against it. Signed up for a local fall rec league. We have been practicing since june so we are fairly polished compared to the other teams but at least we are getting to play a few games. We are trying to gear up for next spring. We are mostly 7&8 year olds but are going to play up next spring to live arm pitching so we'll be playing 9&10 year olds. 

Little Rock, AR